Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

The 2017 season beings. What do you expect?

I don't know guys (or gals),    

Haven't gone into a Wings season since the early 80's with this little buzz.    

The face of the team is this guy

Little-Caesars-Arena-WXYZ-TV-via-YouTube.jpg

I am excited to see the new arena and I am sure I will get the chance before Thanksgiving when I look on Stub Hub and see tickets for $20.   

Now, there is talent here but they still lack two things that crippled them the last two years.  That goalie annoying forward that creates second and third shots.    If we had a Holmstrom or Franzen type player I am betting the goals for Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha and Larkin would go up at least 10 percent.     The other thing they still don't have is that really good first pass out of the zone defenseman.   Daley is okay, but just okay and is on the downside of his career.    The defensive aspect of our defencemen is actually pretty good, but we really miss that first-pass ability that doesn't show up in stat sheets very often (I am sure there are deep analytics on it somewhere).   

With better goalie play they will be better than last year, but still nowhere near a playoff team.     I don't think Blashill lasts the whole season.  Maybe some of the prospects like Svechnikov, Bertuzzi come up and make an impact - and maybe Larkin and Mantha make that leap forward but I really don't see much of a difference from last year and a team that is weighed down with bad contracts for a long time.  

tenor.gif

Actual predictions:

Howard looks good for the first few weeks, then gets a season ending injury (probably when Ericsson cross checks a player into him or something like that).  Mrazek ends up getting the most starts and rebounds to be solid but not elite

Tatar leads the team in goals with ~25

Zetterberg is injured and misses a good chunk of the season, Mantha leads the team in points

Tater is arrested at the trade deadline for trying to confront Holland outside of LCA

The Wings finish with the second worst record in the league but the lottery ends up dropping their pick as far as it can go

I cry, a lot

• Like 1

I expect a record commensurate with a top 5 pick.  I'll watch games to see how Mantha, Larkin, and eventually AA perform.

Highlight of the season will be when a snag in the carpet in the visitors' locker room trips up Matthews, Marner and Nylander and sends them to disabled list for rest of the year.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Highlight of the season will be when a snag in the carpet in the visitors' locker room trips up Matthews, Marner and Nylander and sends them to disabled list for rest of the year.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Get the **** out of here with this!

25 goals from Athanasiou . . . In the Swiss league. What a disgrace this whole situation is. I can't believe Kenny still has a job after bungling this.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What should Kenny have done?

Paid him what it took to keep him here on a short-term contract. I'd rather overpay, on a short-term deal, for a 23 year old with upside than on guys like Abdelkader, Daley, Helm, etc. 

On 10/5/2017 at 12:25 PM, drownwithyou said:

Tater is arrested at the trade deadline for trying to confront Holland outside of LCA

I cry, a lot

If Kenny refuses to do a rebuild and the organization refuses to fire him than it is up to us fans to do something. And while I would gladly confront Kenny to tell him he's worse than Mike Milbury, I think more needs to be done to be effective. We need a Millenman fan march ala WDFN back in 2006.

It's ok to cry, Kenny makes me cry too. It's my hockey team and I'll cry if I want too.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Kenny refuses to do a rebuild and the organization refuses to fire him than it is up to us fans to do something. And while I would gladly confront Kenny to tell him he's worse than Mike Milbury, I think more needs to be done to be effective. We need a Millenman fan march ala WDFN back in 2006.

It's ok to cry, Kenny makes me cry too. It's my hockey team and I'll cry if I want too.

You could always try to pee on a food cart at LCA. Every sentence of the following news story on Jiri Hudler is incredible, by the way.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/airline-nhls-jiri-hudler-demanded-cocaine-and-tried-to-pee-on-foot-cart-on-flight/

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Paid him what it took to keep him here on a short-term contract. I'd rather overpay, on a short-term deal, for a 23 year old with upside than on guys like Abdelkader, Daley, Helm, etc. 

I agree to a point, as Larkin and Mantha are RFA in the same situation so you don't want to set an overpay precedent for the young guys as well with the overpay precedent for old guys has already messed up their cap space.

21 hours ago, lordstanley said:

You could always try to pee on a food cart at LCA. Every sentence of the following news story on Jiri Hudler is incredible, by the way.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/airline-nhls-jiri-hudler-demanded-cocaine-and-tried-to-pee-on-foot-cart-on-flight/

I thought when he got married he might settle down a bit...doesn't seem like it.  Some of the stories Voracek told about him when he played pick up with me way back in the day were pretty wild.