MAROTH4MVP

Panthers @ Lions on FOX 1pm eastern

Just now, NYLion said:

I know you're just itching to tell us I told you so. It's ok to admit.  I can't wait to tell you I told you so when the Lions turn the Panthers into Kitty Kats. ;)

Not really, but whatever.  I guess now I cannot say anything because I called my shot and someone will get upset over it or something.  And I am the first to actually acknowledge when I am wrong so no need to say I told you so to me.  I will simply own that I was wrong and give credit to the people who called their shot.

If I never get a chance to say 'I told you so' then that is a really good thing because it means this is not an SOL type team.  Something always seems to go wrong when things are looking up.  This is 25 years worth of watching every game and dying a little inside for my love of the team every year watching those little things happen.  I just want to see a winning culture in Detroit.  

We have had 3 above .500 seasons in the past 17 years.  Get above .500 this year and it will be the first time they had an above .500 record in back to back years since 1995...the year I graduated HS.  

8 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Not really, but whatever.  I guess now I cannot say anything because I called my shot and someone will get upset over it or something.  And I am the first to actually acknowledge when I am wrong so no need to say I told you so to me.  I will simply own that I was wrong and give credit to the people who called their shot.

If I never get a chance to say 'I told you so' then that is a really good thing because it means this is not an SOL type team.  Something always seems to go wrong when things are looking up.  This is 25 years worth of watching every game and dying a little inside for my love of the team every year watching those little things happen.  I just want to see a winning culture in Detroit.  

We have had 3 above .500 seasons in the past 17 years.  Get above .500 this year and it will be the first time they had an above .500 record in back to back years since 1995...the year I graduated HS.  

The last 25 years have nothing to do with this year.  They made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and are on track to make the playoffs again this season so maybe it's time to get over this whole SOL stigma that seems to be clouding your perception of this team.  I mean, I get it to an extent and I've been in the same boat as you being jaded by the Lions because of years past but this is a pretty good team so having a little faith isn't the worst thing in the world.

BTW, I was mostly just messing with you with the I told you so stuff.  I know that you're a genuine fan even if you're wrong about the game this week. :P

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

12 games left and the lions are probably in the upper half of the NFL. So 7-5 over the final 12 seems like a reasonable baseline. 

10-6 would be ok I guess. But as a baseline, there is a good chance to turn that into 11-5 or 12-4 with some luck in close games. 

For information's sake, we've beat the 10th, 26th and 27th ranked teams in DVOA. Lost to the 13th

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The last 25 years have nothing to do with this year.  They made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and are on track to make the playoffs again this season so maybe it's time to get over this whole SOL stigma that seems to be clouding your perception of this team.  I mean, I get it to an extent and I've been in the same boat as you being jaded by the Lions because of years past but this is a pretty good team so having a little faith isn't the worst thing in the world.

BTW, I was mostly just messing with you with the I told you so stuff.  I know that you're a genuine fan even if you're wrong about the game this week. :P

I know you were messing around.  My guess (and this is not some put down or something) is that you have been watching for 10 years or so...I only bring this up because at a certain point your brain just reverts to history.

And the last 25 years have everything to do with this team.  It is a culture.  It is what the franchise is.  The trend will get bucked eventually...hopefully these past few years is the start of bucking the trend.  I am looking at the entirety of the team.  This year, the past few years and beyond.  I want to root for a team that you know is going to be in the mix for the playoffs just about every year.  I do not need 10 superbowls, but more than 2 back to back winning seasons in my lifetime would be a nice start.  Go over .500 this year (which they should have no problem doing) and then we have something to build on.  You cannot build on pillars of sand.

16 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

And the last 25 years have everything to do with this team.  It is a culture.  It is what the franchise is. 

Bob Quinn is very much not a part of the last 25 years of this team. And I think he's the first incoming Lions GM in years who was been able to start off with something resembling a clean slate (about the only carry over was the coaching staff, of course).

These guys look for real to me... The body language and the attitude is unlike anything I've seen out of this organization, at least in my short lifetime. Whether that translates into finishing 11-5 or better remains to be seen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I know you were messing around.  My guess (and this is not some put down or something) is that you have been watching for 10 years or so...I only bring this up because at a certain point your brain just reverts to history.

And the last 25 years have everything to do with this team.  It is a culture.  It is what the franchise is.  The trend will get bucked eventually...hopefully these past few years is the start of bucking the trend.  I am looking at the entirety of the team.  This year, the past few years and beyond.  I want to root for a team that you know is going to be in the mix for the playoffs just about every year.  I do not need 10 superbowls, but more than 2 back to back winning seasons in my lifetime would be a nice start.  Go over .500 this year (which they should have no problem doing) and then we have something to build on.  You cannot build on pillars of sand.

Nope, been watching since Barry burst onto the scene when I was a kid so I've lived through the 1 playoff victory in my 30 or so years of watching and remember every bit of that one victory 38-6 over Dallas and Barry breaking Ken Norton's knees to put the cherry on top so I'm well versed in watching Lions failures. 

I just don't see what the last 25 years has to do with anything outside of Martha Ford being in a position of authority. **** (heck?), you might as well go back 60 years if you consider SOL culture a real thing.  There is new management, new coaches, new players.  The only "culture" is the culture that exists under Caldwell's leadership and that culture is playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years and a 3-1 start this year which is the best 3+ year stretch in decades.  I can understand this talk of SOL culture if Mayhew was still running the show because he was leftover stink from the Millen administration but this is a brand new era and should be treated as such IMO.

The Refs are still buying into the SOL with their calls. That phantom holding penalty really blunted Lion's momentum. I realize they got away with some pass interference calls but so did the Vikings.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Nope, been watching since Barry burst onto the scene when I was a kid so I've lived through the 1 playoff victory in my 30 or so years of watching and remember every bit of that one victory 38-6 over Dallas and Barry breaking Ken Norton's knees to put the cherry on top so I'm well versed in watching Lions failures. 

I just don't see what the last 25 years has to do with anything outside of Martha Ford being in a position of authority. **** (heck?), you might as well go back 60 years if you consider SOL culture a real thing.  There is new management, new coaches, new players.  The only "culture" is the culture that exists under Caldwell's leadership and that culture is playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years and a 3-1 start this year which is the best 3+ year stretch in decades.  I can understand this talk of SOL culture if Mayhew was still running the show because he was leftover stink from the Millen administration but this is a brand new era and should be treated as such IMO.

Yeah 60 years is good to...lol.  I will START to treat it different if they WIN a playoff game this year...they just make it?  I will be happy, but it will do nothing to erase my SOL attitude.

Remember Schwartz?  First year REALLY bad, but it was 'well look at what he inherited'...then the following year a nice little increase, but still crap and then...BOOM playoffs baby...followed by crap....a 4 win season.  The biggest difference with this team is that Caldwell took Schwartzs team and made the playoffs that first year...then crap, then a good season.

Give me a playoff win this year and AT LEAST a winning record next year...at LEAST.  It takes more than 3 years to wipe the memory of this franchises past out of my brain.  For me it would a LITTLE different if they went 9-7 in 15 as opposed to 7-9.

Tim Twentyman @ttwentyman Lions much healthier today. Only Golladay, Washington and Worrilow sitting out open practice. Wagner, Lang & Ngata all back.

Justin Rogers @Justin_Rogers Washington and Golladay were running on the side with a trainer.

Cam Newton.  I get that it came across as obnoxious.  But how serious an offense is that?  He was just being a jerk.  Its not John Rocker stuff. 

Cam Newton.  I get that it came across as obnoxious.  But how serious an offense is that?  He was just being a jerk.  Its not John Rocker stuff. 

And then someone goes digging through the social media accounts of the journalist whom Newton offended, only to find that she had been throwing around the “n”-word. Glass houses, stones, and all that.

Anyway, I wonder how poorly her tweets will go over in the Panthers’ locker room.

Just now, Jason_R said:

And then someone goes digging through the social media accounts of the journalist whom Newton offended, only to find that she had been throwing around the “n”-word. Glass houses, stones, and all that.

Anyway, I wonder how poorly her tweets will go over in the Panthers’ locker room.

we need the Panthers to suspend him and replace him with a non-competent replacement who actually is only playing football because his dad was in the NFL so to spite him decides to throw his only start to protest. 

I don’t know about that, but I know Tampa Bay looks bad. (Lions get them week 14.)

But they still could have beat New England had their kicker made some field goals.

With NE struggling tonight maybe it shows that the Panthers win on Sunday wasn't as impressive as it originally seemed.

With NE struggling tonight maybe it shows that the Panthers win on Sunday wasn't as impressive as it originally seemed.

Brady was sloppy and not always in sync with his receivers. Solder was bad and Brady got hit all night. Also, credit goes to Tampa’s DL.

But Winston was just bad. Off target. Bad decisions. They should have given it to Martin 25 times instead of just 13. Still, their kicker lost the game.

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If true I would not all be shocked to find out Cam knew about it and used the opportunity to take a dig at her.  Kids these days are media savvy.  I would not be shocked to learn they employ people to scour social media for people that they would encounter on a daily basis so they know who is a good person and who is not.  And yes I consider Cam a kid.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

This very well could be an off year for the Pats.  They are still 3-2 though.  The Panthers could also be a little better than people think.

2 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

This very well could be an off year for the Pats.  They are still 3-2 though.  The Panthers could also be a little better than people think.

No doubt, any time you win in Foxborough it's impressive, I was just saying that maybe the Patriots aren't quite firing on all cylinders yet so the win isn't as impressive as it first appeared.   I also don't think anybody should be downplaying the Panthers(not that anybody is) I mean after all they are just two season removed from the Super Bowl. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

No doubt, any time you win in Foxborough it's impressive, I was just saying that maybe the Patriots aren't quite firing on all cylinders yet so the win isn't as impressive as it first appeared.   I also don't think anybody should be downplaying the Panthers(not that anybody is) I mean after all they are just two season removed from the Super Bowl. 

I agree.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

...two seasons removed, during which Cam decided to run less and take less of a pounding on his body.

Remember, when he rushes seven or fewer times, his winning percentage is .492; when he rushes eight or more times, it is .703. (!!!!!)

For Cam, the name of the game is to stay healthy enough to get a new contract after 2020. And he's been vocal about not being protected by the officials when he chooses to run - but hey, this is the NFL. Passers get protected, but runners get hit.

For Detroit on Sunday, the name of the game is KEEP HIM IN THE POCKET.

16 hours ago, Jason_R said:

5 year old tweet. Seriously it wasn't even that bad. She is super cute

450B4AE200000578-4952940-Charlotte_Obser

Just now, MAROTH4MVP said:

5 year old tweet. Seriously it wasn't even that bad. She is super cute

450B4AE200000578-4952940-Charlotte_Obser

She's a brat. Says a bunch of obnoxious and derogatory crap about others, then bitches and moans when it happens to her.