MAROTH4MVP

Panthers @ Lions on FOX 1pm eastern

16 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Any new projections for a W/L record for this Lions team?

Asking for a friend.

Currently 3-1... remaining schedule:

• Panthers: Lions face an up and coming offense against an agile QB who can hurt them with his legs.  But the Lions will hopefully be getting Davis back.  Too close to call.
  • @ Saints: The Lions face a team with a full extra week to heal and prepare for them.  Also, they're on the road.  But this feels like a game the Lions should be able to take.  If they are a good team, then they should be able to go into NO and come out with a win. Too close to call.
  • Steelers: Another very good team, but the Lions get the benefit of an extra week of rest/preparation... hopefully get Decker back??  And they're home, which should help. Too close to call.
  • @ Packers: I think the Packers are going to be fired up for this game.  I think they are going to play hard to keep the upstart Lions in check and maintain their dominance of the NFC North. Loss.
  • Browns: Should be a Win.
  • @ Bears: Should be a Win.
  • Vikings: Should be a Win.
  • @ Ravens: The Ravens are looking great so far... just 2 and 2 with a -20 net points.  The Lions... if they are a good team, should be able to get a Win here.
  • @ Bucs: Hard to judge the Bucks so far this year.  Their 2 and 1, but their wins have been against bad teams (Chi and NYG) while their only loss was against the Vikings, who the Lions just beat.  I'm going to say Win in Florida.
  • Bears: Win.
  • @ Bengals: Should be able to Win this one.
  • Packers: If the Lions really want to be a good team and chance the story of SOL... they NEED to be able to win against even a good Packers team at home.  I'm nervous though... I tentatively going to say Win here, but I'm least confident in this one.

Okay, so I know I chickened out in the beginning and didn't call the first three games, but I think it's telling that even me, a generally pessimistic Lions fan when they go against other good team, is willing to give them a 50/50 shot at these games. 

I think it's also interesting that the back end of the schedule looks relatively soft for the Lions.  Even if they only finish .500, they could easily run the table in the second half.

Even if they assume all the "too close to calls" are losses, I'm still predicting 11-5.  That ain't bad at all...

18 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Would it help if I told you I think we should win the Saints game?  Apparently according to some stat page we have a better chance of beating Carolina and losing to the Saints.  Call it what you will...intuition, being lionized..whatever, but I just think we lose this game.  Do not want them to lose it of course, will not root for a loss or something stupid.  I just do not see us winning it.  Cam Newton and what they just did to NE...that is mostly what is doing it right now.  If we can get to Cam enough...not give him time to free himself/scramble etc we have a great shot, but I see him avoiding the pass rush and throwing bombs down field.

Everybody scores on New England, their D is a gongshow, the Lions D is a lot more formidable especially if Davis is able to go. It was an impressive win for them but they were also shut down by the Saints the week before so that's the NFL for ya, don't know what team you're going to get from week to week. 

I do share your concern about Cam evading the pass rush and finding running lanes as the Lions pass rush has a tendency to over pursue but if they keep Cam in the pocket, I don't see a big concern.  He has never been a very good passer, one of the more overrated players in the league because he had one MVP type season surrounded by great players and is flashy. I'd be more worried about the Lions offense going up against the Carolina D. 

These are the kind of games that the Lions have to win.  They already have a home loss, can't afford another one especially to a middling team.

Everybody scores on New England, their D is a gongshow, the Lions D is a lot more formidable especially if Davis is able to go. It was an impressive win for them but they were also shut down by the Saints the week before so that's the NFL for ya, don't know what team you're going to get from week to week. 
I do share your concern about Cam evading the pass rush and finding running lanes as the Lions pass rush has a tendency to over pursue but if they keep Cam in the pocket, I don't see a big concern.  He has never been a very good passer, one of the more overrated players in the league because he had one MVP type season surrounded by great players and is flashy. I'd be more worried about the Lions offense going up against the Carolina D. 
These are the kind of games that the Lions have to win.  They already have a home loss, can't afford another one especially to a middling team.

Yes, you have got to keep Cam in the pocket.

With Greg Olson out of the lineup, the LBs should be better able to keep an eye on Cam. Ziggy and Zettel need to set the edge, which they’ve been good at (with the exception of the Atlanta game) and keep Cam from getting outside.

This is a Lions team that intercepted Matt Ryan three times; it’s a pretty good bet they’ll pick Cam Newton at least once. This secondary is proactive, not reactive... Glover Quin will get him.

The offense, though, has not been nearly as efficient. The Lions’ offensive EPA number of minus-20.07 is seventh worst in the league. They are the only team above .500 in the bottom 10 of the NFL in the statistic.

They should have enough juice to make it to the bye. Decker’s return will let them be more aggressive offensively.

That would be disappointing.

At 3-1, with a legitimate chance to be 5-1 before their bye, the return of Taylor Decker, and games after their bye against Cleveland, Chicago (2x), a depleted Minnesota team at home for Thanksgiving, and questionable opponents in Baltimore and Cincinnati, I would have to agree. If this team doesn’t finish with 11 wins, given their impressive start, they should be deeply disappointed.

I'm just worried about the Panthers this week, they are better than people give them credit for. Newton finally looked to be his pre-injury self last week. You can forecast into the future all you want but things change rapidly in the NFL. Injuries, suspensions, etc happen and radically change things from one week to the next.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We definitely need to get the o kick-started.

Been waiting nearly 4 years for that to happen.

Lions offense since Lombardi/Cooter...

Total Yds: 19th

Scoring: 22nd

Total Yds: 20th

Scoring: 18th

Total Yds: 21st

Scoring: 20th

Obviously a bottom-ranked run game is the drag on the above. Does any of this matter as long as they get a win? No, but an improvement on that side of the ball could certainly lead to more of them

25 minutes ago, number20 said:

Been waiting nearly 4 years for that to happen.

Lions offense since Lombardi/Cooter...

Total Yds: 19th

Scoring: 22nd

Total Yds: 20th

Scoring: 18th

Total Yds: 21st

Scoring: 20th

Obviously a bottom-ranked run game is the drag on the above. Does any of this matter as long as they get a win? No, but an improvement on that side of the ball could certainly lead to more of them

I don't think they will really open up the offense. They are super conservative.  It seems like limiting turnovers is the primary focus.

TO: T-6th

TO: T-17th

TO: T-5th

19 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

11-5

I would go with this.... the second half of the schedule is relatively light, but they're not going to go 8-0 down the stretch either.

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

The last thing I want to do is to come on here Monday morning and say 'I told you so'

Are you sure?   Seems like you might be looking forward to the "I told you so". 

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Are you sure?   Seems like you might be looking forward to the "I told you so". 

Yes I am sure.  It was a joke...hence the 'lol' that you cut out.

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would go with this.... the second half of the schedule is relatively light, but they're not going to go 8-0 down the stretch either.

i actually haven't thought about it too much other than a quick look at the schedule. if they win this game i will hope for 11-5. the offense needs to have a good stretch at some point in the season for 11-5, hopefully it starts sunday.

12 games left and the lions are probably in the upper half of the NFL. So 7-5 over the final 12 seems like a reasonable baseline. 

10-6 would be ok I guess. But as a baseline, there is a good chance to turn that into 11-5 or 12-4 with some luck in close games. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yes I am sure.  It was a joke...hence the 'lol' that you cut out.

I know you're just itching to tell us I told you so. It's ok to admit.  I can't wait to tell you I told you so when the Lions turn the Panthers into Kitty Kats. ;)