MAROTH4MVP

Panthers @ Lions on FOX 1pm eastern

14 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

I know who they play.  Then they play PItts.  That's why i said if they can sneak a win this week coming up they have the bye then a bad pitts team.

Brees isnt the old Brees he stinks...  Winnable game

What?  Brees is still a top QB.  New Orleans has stunk because of their defense, plain and simple so yes, it's a winnable game but not because Brees stinks.

It so much more enjoyable watching a game when you expect a loss.  The O line looked like trash, Stafford looked like trash, Ebron looked like trash.  That was pathetic.  As those in here know that game was not nearly as close as the end score suggested.  We got dominated.

I was rooting for a win of course, but I expected a loss and we got one.  That is just not a game a Lions team wins.  That Minnesota game is the only good win so far this year and that was with their back up.  I would guess we would have lost that game if Bradford was playing healthy.

This team is not good enough when we lose the turn over battle.  If that lost fumble on Stafford was on Cam we may have made it a closer game than it was.  I do not consider this game close at all.  They drove the ball when Carolina was playing not to lose...which can sometimes backfire and help that team lose.

I am one of the biggest Stafford apologists on here.  He did not have help, but a great or even a really good QB overcomes that crap line and does SOMETHING when it matters...not fumbling twice.  Really poor game from him.

My thoughts on letting the game sit for a bit:

1) Cam threw better than I expected. Our defense didn't look as fast. And his receivers bailed him out a few times, but I was surprised by how effective of a passer Cam was. 

2) Stafford had no time to do anything after the first drive. I don't know what the answer here is. I hate blaming everything on the line as well, but man, Carolina seemed to win every single battle at the line. Even when no one directly got to him, the line was pushed back into him destroying any pocket.

3) Do the lions even have receivers? Or does Stafford just not find people? I watch about 3-4 NFL games a week, and it seems every other team can always get players open. Are the lions receivers all slow/predictable, or does Stafford just not see them? Based on Stafford's history, its hard for me to believe he suddenly can't find open receivers... Meanwhile, McCaffrey is making behind the back grabs and no-name TEs are breaking 20 tackles for Carolina.

4) Is Ansah on the team? Did he play yesterday... Cam had all sorts of time. 

5) Ebron got outplayed by Fells... again. Hard to see any reason Ebron should get first team snaps. He can't block, and he can't catch, and he can't break tackles. Rather have Fells size/hands than Ebron's "speed". 

6) Stafford is tough. Again, I am not sure how much of this crappy offense was his fault, maybe all of it, maybe none of it (anyone have the all 22 film), but taking away all aspects of throwing, it always impresses me how much of a beating this guy takes and still performs at a high level.

Even with how poopy they were in every facet, the game came down to a 3rd and long. Lions get that stop, they likely start just outside of FG range, or in FG range depending on the punt. There's no doubt lions at minimum tie it there. So, that's the optimistic take-away from a world of crap. I'm willing to give the Def a pass, as it was their first bad game. 

3 hours ago, hardyaf said:

1) Cam threw better than I expected. Our defense didn't look as fast. And his receivers bailed him out a few times, but I was surprised by how effective of a passer Cam was. 

2) Stafford had no time to do anything after the first drive. I don't know what the answer here is. I hate blaming everything on the line as well, but man, Carolina seemed to win every single battle at the line. Even when no one directly got to him, the line was pushed back into him destroying any pocket.

3) Do the lions even have receivers? Or does Stafford just not find people? I watch about 3-4 NFL games a week, and it seems every other team can always get players open. Are the lions receivers all slow/predictable, or does Stafford just not see them? Based on Stafford's history, its hard for me to believe he suddenly can't find open receivers... Meanwhile, McCaffrey is making behind the back grabs and no-name TEs are breaking 20 tackles for Carolina.

5) Ebron got outplayed by Fells... again. Hard to see any reason Ebron should get first team snaps. He can't block, and he can't catch, and he can't break tackles. Rather have Fells size/hands than Ebron's "speed". 

6) Stafford is tough. Again, I am not sure how much of this crappy offense was his fault, maybe all of it, maybe none of it (anyone have the all 22 film), but taking away all aspects of throwing, it always impresses me how much of a beating this guy takes and still performs at a high level.

Even with how poopy they were in every facet, the game came down to a 3rd and long. Lions get that stop, they likely start just outside of FG range, or in FG range depending on the punt. There's no doubt lions at minimum tie it there. So, that's the optimistic take-away from a world of crap. I'm willing to give the Def a pass, as it was their first bad game. 

Agree with everything. Will just add:

1. At halftime, Caldwell told sideline reporter they needed to start jamming Dickson at the line. He came out and had one or two more long, backbreaking catches in the 3rd. What gives?

2. Now twelve sacks of Stafford allowed in two weeks. That’s the kind of crap that cost Lombardi his job. And at least Lombardi tried to push the ball downfield. 

Edit:

3. I think they have to make a roster decision today regarding Armonty Bryant. Obviously I haven’t seen him work out, but I hope he offers something more than the warm bodies that the DL cycled through yesterday. 

outside of one game against the worst left tackle in football, ansah has been invisible.

remember when pff said he was overrated?  because he is.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Speaking of PFF:

With Greg Olsen on IR, Ed Dickson had a career game. He caught all five targets for 175 yards and broke two tackles along the way. He had more yards against Detroit than he did in either of the past two whole seasons.

Thanks for the extra salt in the wound there Jason!! 

:) 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Thanks for the extra salt in the wound there Jason!! 

:) 

It is astonishing, isn't it? The defense had looked much steadier in the early weeks of this season than last, and they actually did a great job against the run yesterday. But they let a backup tight end have a career season in one afternoon and average 35 yards on five catches. If they could have bottled him up even on one of those five catches, maybe the game ends differently. I'd like to hear Teryl Austin explain what went on.

One more game before the bye. Let's hope Stafford can put up points on a bad Saints defense, then Decker can return after the bye and keep Stafford clean.

Dickson and 2 catches for big yards in which on one he was completely ignored and on the other was ignored and then recognized too late. It's not like they tried to stop Dickson but couldn't,  just busted coverage.

The problem was that there was little pressure on Newton and he had over 5 seconds on way to many drop backs. Whether Ansah was never very good or he isn't healthy, his lack of pressure is hurting them right now.

11 hours ago, hardyaf said:

My 2 cents...

I’m going to oversimplify and say bad OL play is the root of all offensive woes with this team. Some have mentioned receivers not separating or Stafford holding the ball too long, but during the microseconds he’s had before his pocket caves I wonder if routes are even halfway developed. It seemed every time he lined up yesterday with an empty backfield, the OL just got mauled.

Stafford’s proven over his career he can deliver when given time. He’s not the issue. I also don’t think we have a RB problem. Abdullah has already shown he can hit a hole, break tackles, make people miss, fight for the extra yard, and escape for big gains. The OL just doesn’t move people off the line and open a lane consistently. And even when they do it quickly collapses.

I think yesterday really showed Decker’s value and the chaos his absence creates. I agree with Jason_R and believe the offense should improve when he’s back, but I really question where it’s going. Caldwell was extolled for his “offensive mind” when he was hired, yet the Lions offense has sputtered since he arrived. We continue to have to rely on defense to win games, or 4th quarter Stafford heroics

2 hours ago, azzurri said:

The Lions are who we thought they were...average.  Beat poor Arizona (barely), Minnesota (with Case Keenum), and the 0-5 NY Giants.  Lost to a Falcons team that may be overrated themselves (lost to Buffalo at home and survived against the Bears).  They might be able to make 8-8 due to the favorable schedule in the second half of the year.  But, this team ain't sniffing a playoff victory with Jim Caldwell at the helm.  Good thing he got his extension, though, because mediocrity is celebrated around these parts by the Ford family.

The old GM blew two straight drafts to close out his tenure, one being one of the deeper ones of the last decade or so. We also lost three all pros and another one has been chronically injured since Quinn was hired. Quinn is doing great IMO, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. GIve the man 3 offseasons at least.

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here.  The Panthers are an elite defense and 4-1 overall.

We put up 24 on them(were averaging giving up around 17) and Ebron dropped about 7 points worth of balls. Maybe we don't get the two late TDs if he does his job earlier, but we are in the game.