MAROTH4MVP

Panthers @ Lions on FOX 1pm eastern

Both teams are coming off impressive wins Sunday. The Lions rode their defense in a 14-7 slugfest against the Minnesota Vikings, while the Panthers handed the New England Patriots their second home loss of the season, 33-30.

Carolina has won five of the seven all-time meetings with Detroit, most recently defeating the Lions 24-7 in Charlotte in 2014. The last time the Panthers visited Ford Field, in 2011, the Lions won a 49-35 shootout.

Two seasons ago, Cam Newton led the Panthers to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the Denver Broncos. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/10/detroit_lions_open_as_early_fa.html

FFtwT-ho_400x400.jpg

14450.26023.jpg

I just do not see us winning this game.  Win this game and my thoughts on how far we may be able to go this year change.  This is just not a game the Lions win.

Lions defenders need to do a better job of wrapping up. To many times this year someone has gotten a hand on the Qb only to have him escape. Newton will make the Lions pay if that happens. Even after his injuries Newton can still make teams pay with his speed and ability to extend the play by avoiding pressure.

Just now, John_Brian_K said:

I just do not see us winning this game.  Win this game and my thoughts on how far we may be able to go this year change.  This is just not a game the Lions win.

Yes, I don't mean to be a wet blanket but the turnover ratio has been really lucky. The Lions and Stafford were insanely lucky against the Vikings there were a few throws that should have been picked off. The way Caldwell manages games is also likely to bite the Lions at some point. Caldwell does his best to manage and control the situations but it means the Lions are never really going to put a team away, essentially Caldwell manages to keep the games close.

Bryant is back this game as his suspension is over.

Also I want to punch Dean Blandino in the face.

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Why do you say that?  This game is VERY winnable especially so with Olsen out.

Kind of weird to see you taking the pessimistic instance.  What have you done with the real JBK?

15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Kind of weird to see you taking the pessimistic instance.  What have you done with the real JBK?

Would it help if I told you I think we should win the Saints game?  Apparently according to some stat page we have a better chance of beating Carolina and losing to the Saints.  Call it what you will...intuition, being lionized..whatever, but I just think we lose this game.  Do not want them to lose it of course, will not root for a loss or something stupid.  I just do not see us winning it.  Cam Newton and what they just did to NE...that is mostly what is doing it right now.  If we can get to Cam enough...not give him time to free himself/scramble etc we have a great shot, but I see him avoiding the pass rush and throwing bombs down field.

16 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Panthers looked really good last week. I agree the game is winnable but the Panthers are a good team and are a tough matchup for the Lions.

Just now, John_Brian_K said:

Would it help if I told you I think we should win the Saints game?  Apparently according to some stat page we have a better chance of beating Carolina and losing to the Saints.  Call it what you will...intuition, being lionized..whatever, but I just think we lose this game.  Do not want them to lose it of course, will not root for a loss or something stupid.  I just do not see us winning it.  Cam Newton and what they just did to NE...that is mostly what is doing it right now.  If we can get to Cam enough...not give him time to free himself/scramble etc we have a great shot, but I see him avoiding the pass rush and throwing bombs down field.

This is what worries me. Reeves-Maybin is a player we didn't have last time we played the Panther and I think he has the speed to help contain Newton. I would utilize him as a spy on Newton.

10 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I'll trust some stat page over your intuition.

Also Vegas has Detroit favored. FWIW.

Carolina won against one of the worst defenses in the league so far this year.  The Lions beat a stout Vikings team.  Yes, any win against the Patriots must be recognized, but until last week Cam Newton had looked very pedestrian.  If the Lions' D can continue to play the way it has been playing, & assuming they get a healthy Davis back at LB, I see no reason the Lions' can't win this game.

the pats have the worst defense in football.  outside of that game carolina has been awful and cam has been terrible.  the bigger question is whether stafford can bounce back aftwr a subpar game against the vikings and whether the oline can block carolina's defense.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we win, how far will we fall in the PFF power rankings?

Just cause I love having stuff to complain about... I looked up ESPN's power rankings... GB beating up on a lousy Bears team moved them ahead of the Falcons, which beat them.  Seems odd, but okay, they just #2 and #3 so that's pretty close.

The Seahawks... who granted did pummel the Colts... but the 2 and 2 Seahawks jumped from #12 to #6.

And then the Eagles... the Eagles who just squeaked by the 0-4 Chargers moved up 5 spots to number 8. 

Which of course means the Lions, who were at #8 and beat the previously ranked #11 team, the Lions move BACK to spot #9.

14 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Just cause I love having stuff to complain about... I looked up ESPN's power rankings... GB beating up on a lousy Bears team moved them ahead of the Falcons, which beat them.  Seems odd, but okay, they just #2 and #3 so that's pretty close.

The Seahawks... who granted did pummel the Colts... but the 2 and 2 Seahawks jumped from #12 to #6.

And then the Eagles... the Eagles who just squeaked by the 0-4 Chargers moved up 5 spots to number 8. 

Which of course means the Lions, who were at #8 and beat the previously ranked #11 team, the Lions move BACK to spot #9.

They are a joke with those.  I think they do it on purpose just to give people something to ***** about.

3 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Panthers looked really good last week. I agree the game is winnable but the Panthers are a good team and are a tough matchup for the Lions.

27th ranked offense before facing that 32nd ranked D in NE. I think they'll struggle to score on us. Not sure if we can score on them

The magic number of carries for Newton, in fact, turns out to be eight. If he has eight or more rushes in an NFL game (excluding kill-the-clock kneel-down plays), ESPN Stats and Info has figured out that his record is 22-9-1. When he rushes the ball seven or fewer times, Newton is 32-33.

In other words, those ESPN numbers show that Newton wins 70.3 percent of the time with eight or more carries and 49.2 percent when he doesn’t.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article176592426.html#storylink=cpy

Keep him in the pocket.

Seems like Carolina played the game of their life against the Pats. Hard to imagine them going out and doing that again – it's likely they'll come out flat. And the Lions could have one of those home rebound games.

Of course... this is all pure speculation I'm just pulling it out of my a**

Weekly PFF update

TJ Jones is now the #18 overall WR, Tate 6th, Marvin 89th...

Quin and Kilebrew are both 2 and 10 at safeties.

Nick Bellore is top 15 in coverage at the LB spot, Whitehead is the 6th overall off ball LB

Lawson and Hayden are 95th and 103rd at CB

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Weekly PFF update

TJ Jones is now the #18 overall WR, Tate 6th, Marvin 89th...

Quin and Kilebrew are both 2 and 10 at safeties.

Nick Bellore is top 15 in coverage at the LB spot, Whitehead is the 6th overall off ball LB

Lawson and Hayden are 95th and 103rd at CB

What is Muhlbach average spin rotation per snap?

Lions O-line ranked 29th in pass blocking efficiency. I don't really like PFF but Lions have been awful pass blocking. The offensive troubles are not entirely on Stafford. A lot of those forced throws are due to poor blocking and people not getting open.