Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

Baseball Playoff Predictions

Recommended Posts


Each league has its problems

Baseball -  The pace of the game does not appeal to younger viewers and baseball does not promote it's stars as well as they used to

Hockey -  It's a regional sport.   It's nice to see Vegas doing really well (best record in the Western Conference) but they appeal is regional and I don't think that will ever change. 

Basketball -  Not enough teams having a legitimate shot at the title year after year.   Super teams are fun but that gets old when you live in a market without one.   Cleveland will be finished when LeBron goes to the Lakers next year.    If you are in San Francisco, Cleveland, Boston, Houston and San Antionio you have something to believe in - the rest are just there. 

Football -  The quality of the game is getting worse.  More star players will take their money and leave because of head injuries.  Plus OVER SATURATION.   Drop these Thursday  night games or pass a rule that the Thursday night teams have a bye week the previous week.   You can't ask these guys to go at it on 3 days rest and expect good football.     Keep college football on Saturdays and the NFL on Sunday and Monday and that's it.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have been hearing baseball will fail and the games are too late for the last 20+ years.

Last year was unique because of the Cubs/Indians trying to break "curses"   but the ratings have been steadily dropping.   

c916f84ecb0d3dd93d7add5cdddd0f0c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Last year was unique because of the Cubs/Indians trying to break "curses"   but the ratings have been steadily dropping.   

c916f84ecb0d3dd93d7add5cdddd0f0c.png

Yet the value of franchises has been growing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the demise of any sport is imminent, but it's hard to predict what it will look like in 10-20 years as we age out.  Will millenials and the kids behind them embrace?  What role will social media play?  and don't dismiss E-League and it's exploding popularity.  While it seems ridiculous to guys like us that people would want to watch others play video games, this is a big business that is gaining a lot of momentum.  To put your head in the sand and suggest that the current popularity, and prosperity, of sports will maintain is a bit short-sighted.  To make the point on a much smaller, but more relevant basis--do you think the MotownSports forums are as active/popular today as they were 5, 10 years ago?  I've only been active for the last few years, and I've seen the drop-off in engagement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don't think the demise of any sport is imminent, but it's hard to predict what it will look like in 10-20 years as we age out.  Will millenials and the kids behind them embrace?  What role will social media play?  and don't dismiss E-League and it's exploding popularity.  While it seems ridiculous to guys like us that people would want to watch others play video games, this is a big business that is gaining a lot of momentum.  To put your head in the sand and suggest that the current popularity, and prosperity, of sports will maintain is a bit short-sighted.  To make the point on a much smaller, but more relevant basis--do you think the MotownSports forums are as active/popular today as they were 5, 10 years ago?  I've only been active for the last few years, and I've seen the drop-off in engagement.

The forum popularity has dropped off recently, probably for a lot of different reasons but I don’t think it is due to a decline in interest in the sports. Twitter has provided another way to engage with other fans. And the tigers have declined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is that as there are more ways to spend time and entertainment money, it will be spread out more, meaning individual teams and individual sports will get a smaller slice of the pie.

But I think the pie has grown at a greater rate than the slice has shrunk.  I think teams and leagues are much better marketed now and are getting more money out of a fan for a game and getting more fans to the games as a consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My opinion is that as there are more ways to spend time and entertainment money, it will be spread out more, meaning individual teams and individual sports will get a smaller slice of the pie.

But I think the pie has grown at a greater rate than the slice has shrunk.  I think teams and leagues are much better marketed now and are getting more money out of a fan for a game and getting more fans to the games as a consequence.

I agree, in principle, but I do think that interest in baseball is waning amongst the younger generation.  Maybe they'll re-engage, or engage for the first time, as they get older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read an article the other day that says that 57 is the average age of the guy that watches baseball on TV. I don't know what the future holds but that doesn't sound too optimistic for the future of the game. 

If I'm not mistaken, only about 8% of MLB rosters were made up of African Americans this year. I gotta believe this audience is being lost comparatively? Does anyone think the demographic make up of the teams changing plays into this at all? The explosian of Latin Americans into the game has been huge. Just asking. None of this would be a sole reason but maybe a part of the declining audience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even got the WS MVP on the cover!  That's a great prediction but I remember Joe Posnanski predicting the Royals would win the championship in 2015 way back in 2011 so not the first time an MLB writer has made a prediction like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's my 3 year/4 year shot

Congratulations to the 2020 World Series champion New York Yankees

Congratulations to the 2021 World Series champion New York Yankees

 

Tigers?   Well,  I'll be 70 in 2034.................hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be surprised if these Los Angeles world series memorabilia items in our mall don’t go on sale for something steeper than today’s 25% off pretty soon. 

1BB7AFE3-7847-494F-98C4-49518B9C51D3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×