Motor City Sonics

Baseball Playoff Predictions

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I could care less if Granderson gets one.  I like him a lot, and probably a top-10 Tiger for me, but he's not a HoF'er.  Not even close.  For Verlander, it would help round out his resume.

I’m with you. I don’t feel anything particularly special when it comes to granderson. He was a good player for us but it was only four years. He has had eight years now playing for other teams. 

45 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m with you. I don’t feel anything particularly special when it comes to granderson. He was a good player for us but it was only four years. He has had eight years now playing for other teams. 

Plus he was a Yankee. Sure it was via a trade that he had no control over but he was still a Yankee.

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I have to believe the top MLB brass and the WS sponsers are salivating at this point for a NY-LA serie$$$.. 

yep.  I'm sure they'll play up the 40-year anniversary of when both teams played each other in the WS.  If Judge hits 3 HRs in a single game, I'm confident that Twitter will have a meltdown.

Granderson has a unique connection with a lot of people here that most players do not have.   That is why people root for him, not so much for his performance.   

• Like 2

About a year and a half ago I got into a little argument with a national writer when after the Yankees did some selling he wrote something along the lines of "The Yankees just set up their next championship", I argued that it was pretty arrogant to assume that they would win a championship with them guys like it was some easy task and he wouldn't be saying the same thing if another team did the same thing.

Now only a season later they are in position to win that championship, I may be eating my words sooner than I thought. 

Just now, TigerNation said:

Quintana gives up 6 ER in 2 IP. Should've traded for Verlander.

But just think about how team friendly his deal is. The cubs are going to save so much money. 

Bye-bye Cubbies. Good to see you gone! And I don't even like the Dodgers. 

The bandwagon crowd got burned on this one. How long will it be this time!

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Bye-bye Cubbies. Good to see you gone! And I don't even like the Dodgers. 

The bandwagon crowd got burned on this one. How long will it be this time!

I like their chances in the short term much better than the Tigers.  I think they will be fine.

If there is a fan base that's frustrated, its probably Washington.  All of the playoff appearances without getting a series win.  Then again, the crookedness that befell the Montreal Expos seeks its rightful karma, and this just might be it.

May the Washington crowd remain frustrated. Between the Caps and the Nats they are saddled with much woe. Teaser town.

The worst possible match up for the World Series is Dodgers/Yankees.  I may end up rooting for the Yankees.  EWWW...I feel soiled after writing that.

I loved Granderson when he was with the Tigers, but when he was traded he just fell off the map for me. Not on purpose, just disinterest. I will never stop loving JV, though.  He is a regular guy with working class roots who just happens to be a Hall of Fame pitcher who dates a supermodel. 

15 minutes ago, apabruce said:

The worst possible match up for the World Series is Dodgers/Yankees.  I may end up rooting for the Yankees.  EWWW...I feel soiled after writing that.

I was laid up for a few months after a serious motorcycle accident in 1982 and I followed the entire Los Angeles Dodgers schedule for 162 games from bedside in Tucson Arizona.  It was the only team on radio that I could get. For that year I was a Dodger fan.  I’ll root for the Dodgers if it’s the Dodgers versus Yankees sort of thing. 

Kid:  Why does he (Severino) keep picking up that onion?

Me:  Onion?

Kid:  Yeah, the onion he picks up in between pitches.

Me:  That’s a rosin bag.  It helps with drying up the sweat on his hand.

Kid:  Are you sure that’s not an onion?  That totally looks like an onion.

12 hours ago, Casimir said:

I like their chances in the short term much better than the Tigers.  I think they will be fine.

If there is a fan base that's frustrated, its probably Washington.  All of the playoff appearances without getting a series win.  Then again, the crookedness that befell the Montreal Expos seeks its rightful karma, and this just might be it.

I would say Cleveland. First they haven't won since 1948 and have the longest drought in baseball. They blew a 2-0 lead in a best of 5 series. They blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series last year. They blew a 3-1 series lead in the 2007 ALCS. They blew a 9th inning lead in game 7 of the 1997 Wordl Series. The curse of Rocky Colavito lives on. 

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Verlander with 7 shutout innings to up his post-season record this year to 4-0. Game 7 tomorrow. Sucks it is same time as U-M/Penn St.

ALCS, Pistons, and Walleye home opener all on at the same time tonight.  And toss in the football game.  Thank goodness for the DVR.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know wins and losses are meaningless for pitchers but I found it crazy that Verlander is 14-1 in his last 16 starts.   

Saw a tweet that he was traded to the Astros 45 days ago and has a 9-0 record for them.

Astros win. Houston-L.A. in the World Series.

TV broadcasts Thursday and tonight 2 for 2 in saying "win the pennant" rather than "going to the World Series". Yay, I'm old school like that.