Motor City Sonics

Baseball Playoff Predictions

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Need to hear from casimir regarding his coworkers. 

My co-worker who always talks about the Red Sox was sad yesterday.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

My co-worker who always talks about the Red Sox was sad yesterday.  

A Sox fan friend groaned when I said "Enjoy Brad Ausmus".

• Haha 1

He would say it "Dart-mouth" rather than "Dart-muth"

Watching CC beat the Indians last night, or at least pitch well enough to win reminded me of us having to watch Jeff Weaver in game 5 of the 2006 WS.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Watching CC beat the Indians last night, or at least pitch well enough to win reminded me of us having to watch Jeff Weaver in game 5 of the 2006 WS.

Thank you for bringing up that repressed memory.  True though.

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He would say it "Dart-mouth" rather than "Dart-muth"

It's "Dahtmuth".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Need to hear from casimir regarding his coworkers. 

Not much chatter from the one in particular.

Hey, I'd be pissed, too.  I was trying to think of a similar scenario, a team that I like up in a series like that early on and couldn't finish it out.  I couldn't really think of a team that I follow falling into that.  The only thing I could come up with was Pistons-Spurs when the Pistons had the lead slowly get away from them in middle of the 3rd quarter of the 7th game.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

That's a pretty good analogy.  Gosh that sucked.

He also mentioned something about not knowing whether Cleveland falling or a team not having anything to do with the postseason was worse.   I said losing the series was probably worse, but I think I'm wrong.  At least there was something to cheer for during the season and the postseason.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Not much chatter from the one in particular.

Hey, I'd be pissed, too.  I was trying to think of a similar scenario, a team that I like up in a series like that early on and couldn't finish it out.  I couldn't really think of a team that I follow falling into that.  The only thing I could come up with was Pistons-Spurs when the Pistons had the lead slowly get away from them in middle of the 3rd quarter of the 7th game.

Yeah, that’s a hard one. I think there was a red wings playoff series against the blackhawks where the wings led 3-1, but the wings were an inferior team. 

Cleveland has now lost six straight games in which they could have closed out a series. Last year was for the World Series championship of course. 

Hard to believe that Kluber would struggle in two starts. I though he gave them a big advantage in the series. They even ended up winning that first game where he sucked. 

I also think it sucks for a better team to lose to an inferior team.  They were, what, 10 games apart?  Sorry, I'm not always a fan of Cinderella in sports.  There's a reason Cleveland earned that higher seed.  I think 10 games out of 162 is a materially different record.

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, that’s a hard one. I think there was a red wings playoff series against the blackhawks where the wings led 3-1, but the wings were an inferior team. 

Seems like every year in the playoffs shots on goal were 42-12 in favor of Wings but they led in goals 2-1

Just now, Shelton said:

Cleveland has now lost six straight games in which they could have closed out a series. Last year was for the World Series championship of course. 

Hard to believe that Kluber would struggle in two starts. I though he gave them a big advantage in the series. They even ended up winning that first game where he sucked. 

Yeah, hard to figure that.  I figured that was New York's chance to get the series and they failed to capitalize on it.  

I overheard someone ask the question about which would be more likely, Kluber throwing another clunker or Sabathia throwing another solid start.  I thought it'd be Sabathia.  Awfully tough timing for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I also think it sucks for a better team to lose to an inferior team.  They were, what, 10 games apart?  Sorry, I'm not always a fan of Cinderella in sports.  There's a reason Cleveland earned that higher seed.  I think 10 games out of 162 is a materially different record.

Normally I would agree with you. But the Yankees were probably better than their record. I think they had one of the highest run differentials in the league. 

Go Astros. When does JV pitch?

52 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Normally I would agree with you. But the Yankees were probably better than their record. I think they had one of the highest run differentials in the league. 

Go Astros. When does JV pitch?

Game 2

15 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

The Indians had one of the best pitching staffs ever and lost in the 1st round. Defense wins championships.

There were some folks on here last season that thought the Cleveland starting pitching was due to implode and Detroit would crawl back into the division lead.  I guess the former finally happened this week.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Pythag records:

Cleveland 108-54.

New York 100-62.

26 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Would be interesting to see a Nationals/Astros WS just to see a JV/Max match up.

In Washington.  Let them hit against each other, too.

The Indians also got to beat up on two of the three worst teams in baseball where as the AL East didn't have any teams that were that terrible.