mtutiger

RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

One of the first 45s I ever bought (yeah, I'm old, shut up) was Refugee. If I have an acoustic guitar in my hand I will almost inevitably play "Last Dance With Mary Jane" so I would have to say it's one of those. That said, his catalog is very deep and there is no wrong answer.

Into the Great Wide Open, for sure. Refugee is up there though. 

My first year in college I listened to Into the Great Wide Open all the time. I had the CD. I can still close my eyes and picture sitting at certain stoplights on the way to school.  I had a 7 am class and it was dark out.  That was very early for me at the time.  

I started listening to him again a few weeks ago.  On the way to pick up my friend before a Tiger game a song came on and I thought "I need to listen to him.... it's been awhile.  These are great songs".  

What happens with guys like him is you hear it so much on the radio that you get numb to just how great it is.  

Been listening to the This is Tom Petty playlist on Spotify all morning. Amazing how many great songs he has. I consider myself a "casual" fan, but it seems like I know them all and it's been playing for close to 3 hours.

Just now, Oblong said:

What happens with guys like him is you hear it so much on the radio that you get numb to just how great it is.  

• Like 1

If I had to name one music video by any artist that has stuck with me longer than any other, it would be the spooky Don't Come Around Here No More.