mtutiger

RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

45 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

One of my all time favorite rockers from the 90s.  RIP.

Mine too, except that I've been a fan since the 70s.

What are everyone's favorite Petty tracks?

I'm partial to Learning to Fly, Here Comes My Girl, You Don't Know How It Feels, Refugee, The Dark of the Sun and Free Fallin'. Plus I love what he did on the two Traveling Wilbury's compilations.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm partial to Learning to Fly, Here Comes My Girl, You Don't Know How It Feels, Refugee, The Dark of the Sun and Free Fallin'. Plus I love what he did on the two Traveling Wilbury's compilations.

I have a bunch.  Free Fallin and Learning to Fly are right up there.  My biggest memory of Tom Petty was the music video for Don't Come Around Here Anymore.  Everytime I hear that song I have a reaction...actually listening to it right now.  The video...I was only 8 when it came out.  MTV was kind of a new thing.  Watching them cut into that cake...it just freaked me out.  Watching the video now is laughable how bad the effort was to make it look like her, but I was 8 and videos were new.  

Also I never really knew the story of Alice in Wonderland...(I know I know)..I grew up with Pinocchio, Wizard of Oz and Mickey and Donald Duck cartoons.  I never read or saw anything Alice in Wonderland...so the playing with sizes was weird for me as well.

I have always really enjoyed Toms work...there was something visceral about his songs.  

I think I played the Full Moon Fever cassette in my car for I don't know how many months without taking it out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Well, now that Abe Vigoda is gone, I guess he needed a replacement...

The resemblances are uncanny.

Wow. Saw the news earlier and went back to work thinking he was dead. Hang in there, Tom. 

St. Peter:   Come on in, Tom

Tom:  Hey...............Can I ask you a question?

St. Peter:  What, who shot JFK?  Everyone asks that. 

Tom:  No.........Do they have weed in there? 

St. Peter: No, we do not have weed. 

Tom:  Hmmmmmm

St. Peter:  Are you coming in? 

Tom:   Hold on, I'm thinking about it...............

I Need To Know whether there’s been a Breakdown in the news reporting. I’d Feel A While Lot Better if it wasn’t for the Waiting. I hope he’s Alright For Now.

• Like 1

St. Peter:   You know you don't really need weed here, Tom

Tom:  Really?

St. Peter:  Yeah, and besides, Howie & George are saving a spot for you at the bar. 

Tom:  Tell them I'll be there in a minute.  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

St. Peter:   You know you don't really need weed here, Tom

Tom:  Really?

St. Peter:  Yeah, and besides, Howie & George are saving a spot for you at the bar. 

Tom:  Tell them I'll be there in a minute.  

Where is Roy?

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

One of the first 45s I ever bought (yeah, I'm old, shut up) was Refugee. If I have an acoustic guitar in my hand I will almost inevitably play "Last Dance With Mary Jane" so I would have to say it's one of those. That said, his catalog is very deep and there is no wrong answer.