gzbach

2018 Transactions

No better way to kick off a new season's thread than with the biggest news of the day.  No, it's not that we got the 1st pick in the draft.  It's that we no longer have to suffer one of our GCL teams losing almost all its games.  Apparently the Tigers are looking to field a second DSL team next year, which would mean only one GCL team, and perhaps two DSL teams that are competitive.

In a routine end-of-season paperwork move, the Tigers recalled Dawel Lugo and Sandy Baez from Erie.  Only 3 guys from the 40-man remain optioned:  Rondon, Ryan, and Adduci, all at Toledo.  Is it significant that they haven't been recalled, or have the Tigers just not got around to it yet? (If I'm not mistaken, even if they wanted to dump them, they would still have to recall them first....anybody know the rule here?)

In other news, two more old friends have been re-signed (rather than let them become minor-league free agents):  Endrys Briceno and Fernando Perez.

And the housecleaning begins:  7 guys released...

From Lakeland: Joey Pankake

From West Mich:  Sam Machonis

From Conn:  Will Savage

From Westies, 3 udfa pitchers:  Mark Savarese, Drew Weston, Tyler Howe

From Easties:  rhp Enrique De Pena

And the slaughter continues:

RHP's Franchi Batista and Julio Guante and OF Allan Santos all axed from the Easties.

rhp Perkyn Rodriguez and of Jose Gonzalez released from the Easties.  Both were injured (apparently) early and missed the whole season.  A little surprised by Gonzalez, as he was the Opening Day CF and (I thought) fairly-highly regarded.  Maybe it was a really bad injury.

From the Westies, c/1b Bryan Tejeda was released, and CF Juan Ramirez was sent to Houston as the ptbnl in the Verlander trade.

Finally, Nick's little bro Ryan Castellanos was released after 3 years in the Connecticut rotation (more-or-less).  Now, if they would just get rid of Nick, as I can't stand DH's, which is what he is.  The Tigers have 3 DH's:  Nick, Miggy and Stewart and that's 3 too many.  I don't mind the DH rule, I just don't want anybody on my team who is (or should be) only a DH.

Finally (again), the Tigers were supposed to get a ptbnl or cash from the Cubs to complete the Justin Wilson trade.  I thought the deadline was the 15th, but no news.........................?????

This makes 17 guys gone from the lower minors since end-of-season (including DSL of Marfrey Ortega and rhp Rafael Valderrey, released last month).

So, is there a Nobel Prize for un-surprising news?  I hope I win it:   For an unbeatably low price of only 5 million dollars the Tigers are dumping Anibal.  Will they bring him back on the cheap as a free-agent?  Who knows, but I'd rather have that than a designated hitter.

The newest Tiger:  fuzzy-faced 16-year-old youngster named Enrique Yeguez, pitches righty.  Dunno if he's Dominican, Venezuelan, Colombian, Panamanian, Mexican, or Eskimo.

According to my data, the Tigers have re-signed 5 guys to prevent them from become minor-league free agents:

Endrys Briceno, Fernando Perez, Johan Belisario, Harold Castro, and Gabriel Quintana.

Have I missed anybody?

To repeat an earlier question:  does anybody know how the ptbnl that the Cubs owed the Tigers worked out?  Often, when these are settled by cash, you don't hear about it, but I would be surprised if the Tigers settled for cash, given their current project to re-stock the farm.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:03 PM, gzbach said:

According to my data, the Tigers have re-signed 5 guys to prevent them from become minor-league free agents:

Endrys Briceno, Fernando Perez, Johan Belisario, Harold Castro, and Gabriel Quintana.

Have I missed anybody?

Are any of these guys even really prospects? Only one I heard of is Perez.

16 hours ago, gzbach said:

To repeat an earlier question:  does anybody know how the ptbnl that the Cubs owed the Tigers worked out?  Often, when these are settled by cash, you don't hear about it, but I would be surprised if the Tigers settled for cash, given their current project to re-stock the farm.

Baseball-reference.com doesn't have anything under the Justin WIlson trade listed yet either. That's weird.

7 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Are any of these guys even really prospects? Only one I heard of is Perez.

I wouldn't call them prospects, but they've been in the org for some time, and the Tigers obviously value them as org players and would rather keep them around to fill needs at Lakeland/Erie/Toledo.

Romine claimed on waivers by Seattle.

Presley outrighted and apparently headed for free agency.

Collins, Adduci and Ferrell also outrighted.

So, not only did Ryan and Jaye clear waivers but also, apparently so did Bryan Holiday and Efren Navarro, as all four are now MudHens.

I believe that leaves 3 players on the Tigers' 40-man roster.

Sorry Edman, I shoulda said "All four (plus the others) are now Mudhens until Monday".

Two more catchers bite the dust:  

Austin Green (Lak/Erie) and Bryan Torres (Westies) both released.

Tigers minor league management changes announced today

Lance Parrish from Erie to West Michigan

Andrew Graham from Lakeland to Erie

Mike Rabelo from West Michigan to Lakeland

Baseball America has released the list of the minor-league free agents (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-free-agents-2017/#xg37hd8jyzxjY4Pq.97).

No surprises for the Tigers except for Tommy Collier.  I expected him to be on the list but he's not.  Is there a rule that you can't be a free agent until you've served your suspension?  I think he still has some games to go.