Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Michigan State vs #7 Michigan - 10/7/17

28 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Any team in the preseason top 10 can legitimately dream of a BCS bowl and a Championship.

I think some 5-yard slants and outs to the TEs may have been effective against a blitzing defense.  Moreso than the screen passes.

Theoretically, at one loss you still have a shot. But anyone with any sense of reality knows losing your starting QB and your top receiver is pretty much going to completely change that analysis.

That's the John O'Korn I remember.  Ugh.  At this point I'd be all for giving Peters or McCaffrey first team reps & let them get some experience to get ready for next year.  

7 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Theoretically, at one loss you still have a shot. But anyone with any sense of reality knows losing your starting QB and your top receiver is pretty much going to completely change that analysis.

Sure

9 hours ago, stanpapi said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're being a touch dramatic. It's painfully obvious neither of these teams is going anywhere this year. It's a tough loss, but no matter who loses it, it's still just a big ten loss at the end of the day. The bottom line is, State won two years ago on a massively freak play, and they won tonight largely because the weather hit at the right time. That's far from being irrelevant against your rival. Also, state had their starting QB. We had a guy who has barely played in 3 years and is a nervous nellie when his first read is covered. You aren't going to win that way. 

I'd rather have this coach and this program than the ****show Dantonio is running. He lost all credibility. MSU is going to toil in obscurity for the rest of his coaching career. Michigan is going to win every recruiting war of any significance against him. At the end of the day, Michigan will end up more successful under Harbaugh than Dantonio will ever be for the rest of his career. I have no doubt about that whatsoever. 

The reality is, this game is only important when we have a real chance at something. We weren't going to contend for anything this year. So it's pretty much the same as any other loss for Michigan. It's always a much bigger deal for state than it is for us. Who gives a rip when both teams are going to stink? 

I'm not going to troll but this excuse is hilarious.  If you've watched for the past 3 years they have "won" every recruiting war and yet you're in here whining about Michigan having inferior players.   

Console yourself with flukes, weather and recruiting wins - scoreboard.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

That's the John O'Korn I remember.  Ugh.  At this point I'd be all for giving Peters or McCaffrey first team reps & let them get some experience to get ready for next year.  

yep, he can't throw downfield, and throwing downfield was basically the only weakness of the spartan defense that this offense could exploit. you had to hope he could make a play or two with his feet, and he tried. too bad about the timing of the holding on the TD pass.

but i don't think he's going to do any better against penn state or wisconsin or ohio state. we need a guy that can stretch the defense downfield. that was speight, for all his faults. time for peters with all his faults.

O’Korn was terrible, no doubt. But the play calling did not help his cause and set him up to fail. The offense has no rhythm or consistency in philosophy. I feel like it’s too may come cooks in the kitchen on that side of the ball with this staff. Who exactly is in charge? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hail2mich said:

O’Korn was terrible, no doubt. But the play calling did not help his cause and set him up to fail. The offense has no rhythm or consistency in philosophy. I feel like it’s too may come cooks in the kitchen on that side of the ball with this staff. Who exactly is in charge? 

I still don't get why UM quit running in the 2nd half and started passing.   They went from gashing the D for 4-6 yards a carry to throwing INTs,   Makes no sense in a rain storm.

Is Harbaugh on his way to becoming John Cooper in that you know he's a good coach but he is building a consistent pattern of losing in big games to his rivals?

6 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I still don't get why UM quit running in the 2nd half and started passing.   They went from gashing the D for 4-6 yards a carry to throwing INTs,   Makes no sense in a rain storm.

The fact that you'd keep calling for O'Korn to throw the ball in a storm is inexcusable playing by the staff. The more it rained the more Michigan tried to force O'Korn to throw it. The kid had little chance to succeed with the playcalling he was given last night as others have said.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The fact that you'd keep calling for O'Korn to throw the ball in a storm is inexcusable playing by the staff. The more it rained the more Michigan tried to force O'Korn to throw it. The kid had little chance to succeed with the playcalling he was given last night as others have said.

they needed to score points and they couldn't do that running the football.

That was disappointing.  At this point, Harbaugh is trending more like Lloyd Carr w/o the national title and more losses to MSU than at a Saban/Meyer/Swinney level of performance.

I think he needs a Don Brown type hire for the offense and let that hypothetical person run the show.

7 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm not going to troll but this excuse is hilarious.  If you've watched for the past 3 years they have "won" every recruiting war and yet you're in here whining about Michigan having inferior players.   

There's nothing wrong with what I said. I didnt' say  they were inferior players. They simply didn't play well. And we didn't recruit okorn, he was a transfer. The other players are pretty much all young and inexperienced. But if we had any play whatsoever from the O line or the QB, that is a win without much effort. 

Harbaugh is 24-7 at Michigan after they were a complete laughingstock for years. Dantonio is 19-12 in the same time period and has presided over a dumpster fire of a program over the last year. I know which way I'd rather be trending.....

Dantonio’s program is superior to Harbaugh. If anything, Michigan is “little brother”, and I argue State should be favored in all future games against UM as long as Dantonio is coach. 

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

There's nothing wrong with what I said. I didnt' say  they were inferior players. They simply didn't play well. And we didn't recruit okorn, he was a transfer. The other players are pretty much all young and inexperienced. But if we had any play whatsoever from the O line or the QB, that is a win without much effort. 

Harbaugh is 24-7 at Michigan after they were a complete laughingstock for years. Dantonio is 19-12 in the same time period and has presided over a dumpster fire of a program over the last year. I know which way I'd rather be trending.....

O'Korn was recruited and given a scholarship, he didn't put himself on scholarship, to say otherwise is simply untrue.

You mentioned missing starters for UM w/o acknowledging that happens to all teams as seasons play out.  MSU was w/o a starting guard and their starting RB.

If you want to talk young and inexperienced perhaps you should look at the depth charts of both teams.

Harbaugh is 24-7, so was Hoke after 31 games.  The difference is that Hoke did that with RichRods leftovers and Harbaugh is doing it with Hoke's much better quality players as evidenced by 11 NFL draft choices this year.

I'll grant that the sexual assault charges were grim.  Dantonio quickly dismissed those players from the team, now before you start throwing more stones would you like to compare how that was handled vs say Gibbons?  Or Lewan?  Or Frank Clark in 2012?  ALL college teams have things go on so don't give me any lily white scenario at UM.   Harbaugh has had to dismiss players too.

10 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah, I'm a little confused as well with the whole "they lost to MSU because they had their QB and WR out" but at the same time "Harbaugh is superior to Dantonio in recruiting and coaching".  I believe in the second point but the first point seems insane to me. 

Every team has missing players in every game.  That may excuse losing to a great team but not this version of MSU, and not at home.  It's a bull**** loss and Harbaugh should be ashamed of how this offense is set up, with or without any particular individual player it's a dumpster fire of an offensive unit.

42 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, I'm a little confused as well with the whole "they lost to MSU because they had their QB and WR out" but at the same time "Harbaugh is superior to Dantonio in recruiting and coaching".  I believe in the second point but the first point seems insane to me. 

Every team has missing players in every game.  That may excuse losing to a great team but not this version of MSU, and not at home.  It's a bull**** loss and Harbaugh should be ashamed of how this offense is set up, with or without any particular individual player it's a dumpster fire of an offensive unit.

IT'S INEXCUSABLE

lol

i'm starting to think michigan fans are worse than spartan fans.

11 hours ago, hail2mich said:

Yeah, I heard Harbaugh throwing his players under the bus. Yes, they threw interceptions. But who is the coach who called passing plays in the pouring rain and with a 45 MPH wind? The buck stops at the head coach Jimmy. That was just plain stupid play calling.

7 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

they needed to score points and they couldn't do that running the football.

It's impossible to say that. Any single running play may have scored a TD. Or running plays may even have gotten several first downs. Throwing the ball in those conditions leads to interceptions, as we saw. Terrible play calling. As well as pretty dumb.

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

O'Korn was recruited and given a scholarship, he didn't put himself on scholarship, to say otherwise is simply untrue.

You mentioned missing starters for UM w/o acknowledging that happens to all teams as seasons play out.  MSU was w/o a starting guard and their starting RB.

If you want to talk young and inexperienced perhaps you should look at the depth charts of both teams.

Harbaugh is 24-7, so was Hoke after 31 games.  The difference is that Hoke did that with RichRods leftovers and Harbaugh is doing it with Hoke's much better quality players as evidenced by 11 NFL draft choices this year.

I'll grant that the sexual assault charges were grim.  Dantonio quickly dismissed those players from the team, now before you start throwing more stones would you like to compare how that was handled vs say Gibbons?  Or Lewan?  Or Frank Clark in 2012?  ALL college teams have things go on so don't give me any lily white scenario at UM.   Harbaugh has had to dismiss players too.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree that having a QB who has barely played in 3 years trying to do so in a driving rainstorm behind an almost completely inexperienced O line is anything close to the same thing as missing a guard and a running back. 

With respect to the program issues....The point is not about the fact that he quickly dismissed the players. He had no choice. The point is not having control over your players or the direction of your team in the first place. Granted, every team has some issues. But MSUs were pretty darn severe.

I just don't think there is any question that Harbaugh will be more successful than Dantonio going forward. There will be years where we will lose this game, and there will be years when they will lose this game. It's another big ten game at the end of the day. What matters is where you are at the end of the season. As for this season, I see MSU as no better than 7-5, and they may actually finish worse than that. I don't see Michigan being a whole lot better, but they are a crapshoot that is now completely dependent on QB play. I can see Michigan tanking hard or actually getting to 8-4. 

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's impossible to say that. Any single running play may have scored a TD. Or running plays may even have gotten several first downs. Throwing the ball in those conditions leads to interceptions, as we saw. Terrible play calling. As well as pretty dumb.

they averaged 3.5 yards per carry with a long of 12. they threw 2 picks on 3rd down, and the other was on 2nd and 12.

running the ball in those situations is what would be terrible play calling. the worst play call in fact was the draw on 3rd and 4.

this was a rivalry game against a good team. sometimes you simply lose those games. acting like this is the end of the world or somehow harbaugh turned into a pumpkin is just asinine.

if you're the type that demands top a 5 team every year, you'll simply have to wait until we get a healthy #1 qb in there. this game doesn't change that. hopefully peters is that guy and he gets some reps this year, or hopefully mccaffrey is that guy from the start.

it's a shame he couldn't land a guy in the weeks he had to build his first recruiting class, but next year things should be better. newsome and black will (hopefully) be back, we should have a high level if young qb, and several talented OL and WR should be stepping into their prime. and of course a ton of the defense will be back.

but you know what, michigan state might beat us anyways. because that's how this works.

3 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

IT'S INEXCUSABLE

lol

i'm starting to think michigan fans are worse than spartan fans.

THEY'RE AWESOME

lol

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. I AM A FAN THAT HOLDS MY TEAM ACCOUNTABLE. SEE MY BADGE THAT SAYS SO?

I thought we were allowed to express our opinions on the message board, officer.