RedRamage

Trevathan hit in Bears-Packers game... suspension worthy?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the video on this page:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/250591/nfl-should-use-its-new-rule-to-suspend-danny-trevathan

The short version is that Trevathan hit a Packer's ball career hard.  So hard that I suspect that Adams (the Packers receiver) probably blacked out at least for a little bit.

But the longer version is where the details start coming in... now, I've long been someone who hates calls on the defense that I term as often unintentional and/or unavoidable: 

A defender who dives as a QBs legs along the sideline, but AFTER the defender drives, the QB steps out... well, the defender doesn't have brakes to stop in mid-flight... he's going to still hit the QB out of bounds if his direction is headed that way.

Or when a defender goes to make a legal tackle, but the ball carrier, at the last moment, also tucks his head anticipating the hit... suddenly you have a helmet to helmet where the defender had no intention of trying to do that.

As much as I tend to stick up for the defenders, though, I can't here.  Trevathan came into the play three seconds AFTER other defenders had stopped Adams forward progress.  Granted, the whistle hadn't been blown, but he came in full speed to a stopped ball carrier... and frankly the direction of his hit would only have helped the Packers by pushing Adams forward.  The smarter move would have been to come to the pile and try to pull him back rather than push him forward.

Additionally, Trevathan led with his helmet.  I don't think he intended to make helmet to helmet contact... Adams did 'tuck' just before the hit.  But it's clear Trevathan was leading with the crown of his helmet. Looking at the first slow motion replay you can see his entire body is setup for the head to spear Adams.

There's no excuse for this one... Trevanthan came to the pile with plenty of time to avoid an ugly hit, and came leading with his head.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The NFL is becoming a bunch of pansies.

I usually agree Biggs... but this seemed pretty egregious... between the fact that there was PLENTY of time for Trevathan to decide how to and where to attack, and the fact that he lower his body and lead with his head...

Now the one area where it does seem a bit "pansy-ish" is that if this didn't result in a helmet to helmet hit with the receiver dropping to the ground like a rock I figure it's a penalty and a fine... but because the receiver tucked at the last moment made it helmet-to-helmet and that probably means a suspension of some sort.

Football is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest.

Are you... are you blacking out?

Are you BLACKING OUT?

There's no blacking out...

There's no Blacking Out in FOOTBALL!

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I usually agree Biggs... but this seemed pretty egregious... between the fact that there was PLENTY of time for Trevathan to decide how to and where to attack, and the fact that he lower his body and lead with his head...

Now the one area where it does seem a bit "pansy-ish" is that if this didn't result in a helmet to helmet hit with the receiver dropping to the ground like a rock I figure it's a penalty and a fine... but because the receiver tucked at the last moment made it helmet-to-helmet and that probably means a suspension of some sort.

You are like me and take what people say at face value.  Biggs was trolling. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Football is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest.

Even if you don't like Amy Schumer, this speech is hilarious.

This reminds me that I should do a Friday night lights rewatch. Skipping season 2 of course. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

This reminds me that I should do a Friday night lights rewatch. Skipping season 2 of course. 

It's off Netflix on October 1st.  I haven't heard if it's showing up on another service or not.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's off Netflix on October 1st.  I haven't heard if it's showing up on another service or not.

Well so much for that.