Motor City Sonics

Which Free Agents might the Tigers pursue in 2018?

I know they are cutting payroll and that will probably include buying off or trading (with cash) Ian Kinsler and possibly cutting Sanchez loose - although the way he's finishing they might keep him around as a warm body.    I am guessing they write Victor a check and say thanks for the memories too.  At least I hope so.  A couple other contracts will come off the books too. 

But I still think they will pursue some secondary Free Agents.   Especially starting pitchers  - guys probably looking to rebound - guys like Chris Tillman.   

Who are some names - pitchers or otherwise that you think they might go after?      

I don’t see any reason to go into the offseason looking to sign any particular free agent. I think free agent shopping will be done late, maybe adding a few guys cheap in February. 

My guess would be a SP, RP or two, and a 1B/OF utility type. Possibly a middle infield utility player if Iglesias is traded along with Kinsler. 

I think they absolutely need one starting pitcher.      The young guys like Faedo, Manning, Burrows, Perez are not 2018 guys -  maybe 2019 and they'd be fortunate if 2 of those guys reach their potential. 

Going in 

Jordan Zimmermann -  not expecting much
Michael Fulmer -  Is he going to be ready?  Nerve injuries are totally unpredictable.  Will he be his old self?  "old"-LOL
Daniel Norris -  Maybe he finds it but I don't trust he can stay healthy
Matt Boyd -  The ace?  
Buck Farmer -  Uh.........No. 
Anibal Sanchez - I guess you can keep him since he's exactly the kind of free agent you'd get. 

Norris, Zimmermann, Fullmer -  Injury issues.     Boyd is streaky.    They need at least one starter.  

26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t see any reason to go into the offseason looking to sign any particular free agent. I think free agent shopping will be done late, maybe adding a few guys cheap in February. 

My guess would be a SP, RP or two, and a 1B/OF utility type. Possibly a middle infield utility player if Iglesias is traded along with Kinsler. 

yep, pretty much a guy that wants playing time but spots on the 25 teams or so that might not suck are all taken. put in your time and hopefully you're good enough to be traded in July. Tilman is a possible candidate for that.

Yeah, they will definitely need to add an arm that can give them innings. I agree that these signings will happen late. There are alway a few guys left standing. And quality is not a concern. An exception would be if they work something out with Anibal.

if Fulmer or someone won't be ready, they can add another. 

And yes, a couple of high risk/reward RPs need to be added. A nice piece or two that we can flip in July.

1b type is likely if we are indeed saying goodbye to Victor.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they absolutely need one starting pitcher.      The young guys like Faedo, Manning, Burrows, Perez are not 2018 guys -  maybe 2019 and they'd be fortunate if 2 of those guys reach their potential. 

Going in 

Jordan Zimmermann -  not expecting much
Michael Fulmer -  Is he going to be ready?  Nerve injuries are totally unpredictable.  Will he be his old self?  "old"-LOL
Daniel Norris -  Maybe he finds it but I don't trust he can stay healthy
Matt Boyd -  The ace?  
Buck Farmer -  Uh.........No. 
Anibal Sanchez - I guess you can keep him since he's exactly the kind of free agent you'd get. 

Norris, Zimmermann, Fullmer -  Injury issues.     Boyd is streaky.    They need at least one starter.  

You seem to be coming at this from the perspective of trying to help the team win games. I don’t see them making much of an effort to do that. 

It doesn’t really matter if you let buck farmer go out there and lose 20 games (or jaye or lewicki). 

The only thing you need to do is have 7 guys going in that can take the ball every fifth day. 

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

This is going to be such a weird looking team next year.  And for a few years to come no doubt.  

Next year, sure. After that, who knows. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

You seem to be coming at this from the perspective of trying to help the team win games. I don’t see them making much of an effort to do that. 

It doesn’t really matter if you let buck farmer go out there and lose 20 games (or jaye or lewicki). 

The only thing you need to do is have 7 guys going in that can take the ball every fifth day. 

Exactly.  I do believe they will look for a late FA signing - could see Sanchez as a possibility after he is bought out - but it can be basically any AAAA guy and be ok.  This isn't a team looking to do anything positive in the standings, just develop the right guys that will be here in 2019/20.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think they will try to win games and I expect them to acquire a few veterans to help them stay respectable.  Most fans want to go to the game thinking their team has a chance to win and won't be enamored with the idea of rooting for the team to tank. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Well, I don't want to see them just completely give up.  They are still playing one guy 30 million.      With health the lineup could be alright next year.    I don't think they need to necessarily tank next year (they're doing that now).  

Just now, tiger337 said:

I think they will try to win games and I expect them to acquire a few veterans to help them stay respectable.  Most fans want to go to the game thinking their team has a chance to win and won't be enamored with the idea of rooting for the team to tank. 

No one is going to show up to watch this team next year, whether or no the fifth starter is buck farmer is chris tilman. 

They will sign enough warm bodies to keep them from having to rely too heavily on bad AAA players. 

I think we will take the best players still available in February willing to take a 1/5 type deal. And maybe there is a guy or two out there that is actually good that Avila decides to pay more for because there is a good chance he could be traded if he performs well. 

12 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Exactly.  I do believe they will look for a late FA signing - could see Sanchez as a possibility after he is bought out - but it can be basically any AAAA guy and be ok.  This isn't a team looking to do anything positive in the standings, just develop the right guys that will be here in 2019/20.

This could be the bottom out year, not next year.   A healthy Miggy plus more balanced seasons from Mikie, Nick & McCann and seeing Candelario grow up a little more - lineup might not be all that bad.     But that pitching....ugh  (meanwhile Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello and Fister will be in the postseason).   

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This could be the bottom out year, not next year.   A healthy Miggy plus more balanced seasons from Mike, Nick & McCann and seeing Candelario grow up a little more - lineup might not be all that bad.     But that pitching....ugh  (meanwhile Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello and Fister will be in the postseason).   

They can put several guys out there that can be around league average. Iggy, Candelario, McCann, Nick, Mahtook. Miggy is a wild card. Ian's going to be dealt, but maybe you get lucky still with Machado, maybe Presley or whoever is fine. You could potentially have a league average lineup. Problem is Cleveland and Minnesota are going to have a potentially playoff caliber lineup.

It's the same story with pitching, maaaybe Fulmer, Norris, Boyd, Zimmermann can be league average. But there's other teams that are looking at more.

So there's really not much hope of a playoff shot, and I don't think the organization cares that much if they lose 85 or 100. Sure you can get a few more fans, but you'd spend money to do so, and you can lose draft position. So it's hard to say it's a net positive as far as talent acquisition, nor as far as the bottom line goes.

I don't expect many free agents to be signed, but there could be some interesting non-tenders available or they could trade for someone like Mahtook. I expect them to be more aggressive pursuing that level of player than they have been in the past.  

If I were to focus on FAs, it would be for:

- a good defensive OF, no matter about his hitting.  A Dyson type.

- a decent swingman who can fill some gaps in the pen and spot start.  A better version of Buck Farmer.

These would not be intended to help win so much as to support the development of existing young arms with a little more legit D and R help. 

I think you still want to have a competitive product, without deviating from your stated plan, which means not trading prospects for veterans or blocking younger players who are ready.  If you have a hole, you fill it.  And ideally, you get some players that are high risk/reward, that can be moved at the trade deadline to add to our farm depth.  Oakland used to do this--they'd slgn a 4th Starter and/or set-up guy and trade them at the deadline when they were out of contention.  I don't think that was our plan with Alex Avila, but he helped contribute to this strategy this season.  And free agents who are looking to reestablish themselves and can see playing time, will get on board, too.  win-win.

58 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't expect many free agents to be signed, but there could be some interesting non-tenders available or they could trade for someone like Mahtook. I expect them to be more aggressive pursuing that level of player than they have been in the past.  

This is what I anticipate too.

If they are going to give Castellanos an honest shot in RF, that's two OF spots locked up with he and Mahtook. I think Presley comes back as a 4th OF type. JaCoby probably makes the team too. And I have to think it's time to see if Gerber can cut it in the bigs, tho he could start out at Toledo. 

Stewart should get a shot at some point too. I think if they bring on an OF, it is, again, on the Mahtook level. A guy with options.

If Victor's days are indeed done, then they need someone who can play first base. Gotta think Miggy starts at DH at least two or three days a week next year.

I don't see Hosmer as a possibility.  Likely out of range of what the Tigers will want to pay.  If they were on the upswing rather than entering into a rebuild, its a different story, maybe.

I can see the Tigers waiting to see what's left at the end of January and then offering up 1 or 2 year deals to role player types.  Maybe they offer a name player a one year deal with the intent of allowing the player to rebound from a poor FA season and trading him somewhere down the line.  I can't think of anyone like that off of the top of my head.

They'll probably sign a AAAA or MLB platoon type middle IF if they can move one of Iglesias/Kinsler.

They'll probably look for an OF/1B type.  With Cabrera probably moving off of 1B for more DH duty (but probably not full time), maybe Castellanos plays 1B as well as RF?  Then they'll probably go after a lefty hitting OF.  On second thought, maybe it doesn't matter if the OF hits lefty or righty.

They'll need arms with options.  I think Shelton mentioned 7.  I think they might need another 2.  Maybe you stash 1 or 2 in the bullpen as long men (they will need those) and the other 2 in Toledo.  They've currently got 1 SP that is dependable enough to go 6 on a regular basis.  Yes, we all hope for Zimmermann to bounce back and Norris and Boyd to turn the corner and some folks still consider Farmer a SP option (just stop with that nonsense).  But they'll need a couple of SP options and a couple of long relief options (and maybe these guys are interchangeable).

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't see Hosmer as a possibility.  Likely out of range of what the Tigers will want to pay.  If they were on the upswing rather than entering into a rebuild, its a different story, maybe.

I can see the Tigers waiting to see what's left at the end of January and then offering up 1 or 2 year deals to role player types.  Maybe they offer a name player a one year deal with the intent of allowing the player to rebound from a poor FA season and trading him somewhere down the line.  I can't think of anyone like that off of the top of my head.

They'll probably sign a AAAA or MLB platoon type middle IF if they can move one of Iglesias/Kinsler.

They'll probably look for an OF/1B type.  With Cabrera probably moving off of 1B for more DH duty (but probably not full time), maybe Castellanos plays 1B as well as RF?  Then they'll probably go after a lefty hitting OF.  On second thought, maybe it doesn't matter if the OF hits lefty or righty.

They'll need arms with options.  I think Shelton mentioned 7.  I think they might need another 2.  Maybe you stash 1 or 2 in the bullpen as long men (they will need those) and the other 2 in Toledo.  They've currently got 1 SP that is dependable enough to go 6 on a regular basis.  Yes, we all hope for Zimmermann to bounce back and Norris and Boyd to turn the corner and some folks still consider Farmer a SP option (just stop with that nonsense).  But they'll need a couple of SP options and a couple of long relief options (and maybe these guys are interchangeable).

Fulmer

boyd

norris

zimmermann

farmer

jaye

lewicki

bell

saupold

That’s enough to get you through the season. And that’s all we need to do next year. But yeah, if they want to sign a Sanchez type, I’m all for it. 

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Fulmer

boyd

norris

zimmermann

farmer

jaye

lewicki

bell

saupold

That’s enough to get you through the season. And that’s all we need to do next year. But yeah, if they want to sign a Sanchez type, I’m all for it. 

I suppose that should work, I think.  I assume the bottom 4 have an option remaining for next season?

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Fulmer

boyd

norris

zimmermann

farmer

jaye

lewicki

bell

saupold

I would think they could find better guys than Jaye, Lewicki, Bell and Saupold for minimal cost.  I'm not sure they will all stay on the 40-man roster all winter.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Finding a competent 1B should be easy.  A wild suggestion would be to go after Hosmer, given that we don't have a 1B in the pipeline.

No. We don't need another pick contract at this point. 

And not having a firstbaseman in the pipeline really isn't that big of a deal. Either find one in a few years in FA or strap one of the many outfield guys to a firstbase glove and let em learn.