RedRamage

Lions at Vikings Game Thread

Just saw my first ever penalty on a defender for hitting a runner helmet-to-helmet.  While I agree that should be a penalty, I don't think that's the right call for the current rules.

17 hours ago, sagnam said:

I know it sounds trite, but the Packers get away with so many penalties and then get so many gift penalties called on their opponents.  I don't understand how it continues happening.

Mty6rAi.png

People do not like to or do not want to hear it because it sounds like whining, but there have been enough calls that have gone against us in the most critical games in the teams history that to me there has to be a 'human element' thing going on...people like to use the term 'human element' when discussing refs...mainly in the MLB, but you get missed calls when you rely on the human element.  And you also get 50/50 calls go against you when you are bad and for you when you are good.  It is so blazingly obvious from my perspective that I am shocked anyone that brings it up gets blasted over it.

In the end the calls may be close....the holding call in the 4th quarter with a 35-10 lead is not a big deal, but the same holding call in the 2nd when you are down 3 and it takes you out of FG range is HUGE.  This is for the people who do not watch the games, but just look at the box score and see penalties that are close enough...maybe the bad team has 3-4 more and the person who does not watch will say 'well of course the bad team had more penalties and it was not even that lopsided.', but the reality of the situation is that the 'human element' will always creep into a refs mind when throwing or not throwing a flag...it may be minute, but it is enough to screw one team and favor the other.

The most recent example is the Tate play of course...call on the field is TD....there may be enough there to say 'not not evidence to overturn the call' if it is a good team.  Not for us.  Everything is supposed to be reviewed in a play like that...if the call is that he was down short...then there were 11 seconds left when he was down...run off 10 and you get one last shot.  I am guessing the good teams would have gotten that shot in the least and most likely would not have needed it because there would 'not have been enough to overturn the call on the field.'

20 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The most recent example is the Tate play of course...call on the field is TD....there may be enough there to say 'not not evidence to overturn the call' if it is a good team.  Not for us.  Everything is supposed to be reviewed in a play like that...if the call is that he was down short...then there were 11 seconds left when he was down...run off 10 and you get one last shot.  I am guessing the good teams would have gotten that shot in the least and most likely would not have needed it because there would 'not have been enough to overturn the call on the field.'

There is something wrong when third string tackles on the Packers are looking very good against a good NFL defense. They are holding a lot and it isn't being called.

3 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Mty6rAi.png

There were defensive pass interferences like this last night.  The Packers corner had the receiver in a bear hug from behind while pinning one arm to the receivers side and it wasn't called.  A Bears corner was running with the receiver on an underthrown ball that the receiver didn't even try to come back for because he had inexplicably jumped.  The defender never made contact yet it was called defensive pass interference.

With four penalties in three games (he is tied for the league lead), Lang has already matched his penalty total from all last season.

What gives? It’s too simplistic to say he’s been Lionized. Or have the referees Lionized him? Something about that Honolulu Blue seems to compel the refs to pull their flags right out of their pants.

2017: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=OFFENSIVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

2016: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2016&week=100&category=OFFENSIVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=2

Looks like the beat guys are reading the board again.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/09/tj_lang_has_had_a_harder_time.html#incart_river_mobile_index

57 minutes ago, number20 said:

Davis is out

Rapaport is a liar. Damn him. 

5 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Bad news about Davis. Probably means another loss.

They'll miss his speed, but still...  how bad is it when a group of veteran LBs can’t play without a rookie who only has one game of NFL experience

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When is the last time this team had a real running game?    Jhavid Best?   

Running left doesn't seem to be working  - so let's do it again !

Maybe they should sign OJ. I heard he's out