RedRamage

Lions at Vikings Game Thread

In an effort to cleanse the palette from the ending of the last game, shall we start talking about the Vikings?

Not that Power Rankings matter at all, but I do find it interesting to look at them occasionally.  This week: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerrankingsx170926/nfl-2017-week-4-power-rankings-atlanta-falcons-kansas-city-chiefs-new-england-patriots-quarterbacks

The Lions actually moved up 4 spots despite the loss to the Falcons to number 8 on the list.  The Vikings moved up from 16 to 11.  However, even with the Lions supposed ranked 3 spots higher, ESPN's preview matchup predictor shows the Vikings at 64.6% likely to win the game (http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400951724).

Looking at NFL's preview analysis (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017100106/2017/REG4/lions@vikings?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze) the Vikings team in all the yardage stats per game as well as the 3rd down conversion and ToP.  The Lions have more points per game.

On defense the Lions allow fewer total yards per game, but allow more rushing yards, points (slightly) and a much higher percentage of 3rd down conversions.

Looks like it might be a defensive struggle type game, which doesn't make me happy.  I'll feel a lot better, I think, if Davis is able to play.

I am hoping a loss like last week will add a small amount of extra effort to the players.  I know they all work hard and do everything they can to win a game, but once in awhile they may be able to add a little more than normal.  Having a game come THAT close.  They all know games are won and lost with the smallest of margins these days...that little extra umph may be what wins this game for them.

I will watch with detached excitement for the team.  I hope they do well.

In an effort to cleanse the palette from the ending of the last game, shall we start talking about the Vikings?

Thank you. That other thread was like reading letters from an ex after a bad breakup.

The NFC doesn’t look as strong up top this year as it did last year. But when the Vikes have Case Keenum rolling like he was on Sunday... they’re tough. Where is Ziggy?

Any word on Davis for this game?  They missed him big-time against Atlanta.  

I am torn on predicting this week's game.  Hard to know what state of mind the Lions' will be in.  Will they come out fired up, looking to avenge last week or will they pull a S.O.L. and lay down and get smacked.  If they want to be a playoff team, I think they need to find a way to pul this one out.  The schedule isn't getting any easier. 

12 hours ago, RJBBREZ said:

Any word on Davis for this game?  They missed him big-time against Atlanta.  

Not that I want to have Davis out for another game, but if he is, it might be an interesting test.  I wonder how much the defense was hurt by Davis, and how much if it was that the Falcons are simply a better offence than we've so far faced?

Obviously it's going to be some combination of the two, but I wonder how much each played in the defense looking more "human." last week.

Also, re: Status: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2017.htm#all_det_current_injuries  This is supposedly updated as of yesterday:

"Davis was held out the previous game due to a concussion and his status is in question for Sunday's game against the Vikings."

"Zettel departed the last game due to a knee injury and it is undetermined if he will suit up against the Vikings on Sunday."

"Swanson missed the last game with an ankle injury and it is unclear if he will participate in Sunday's game against the Vikings."

Ziggy is not on the list at all.

I'd be really surprised if the Lions pulled this one out.  This is just a really bad game to be missing 2 of their best O-linemen against that Vikings pass rush.  Going to need to win the turnover battle by at least 2 IMO.

Seems like an easy win for the Lions. Case Keenum or a crippled Bradford at QB. Lions have been good vs the run. Of course it's the Lions so I'll predict Minnesota 63 - Detroit 24 (Detroit leads 24-0, 63 unanswered)

Not that I want to have Davis out for another game, but if he is, it might be an interesting test.  I wonder how much the defense was hurt by Davis, and how much if it was that the Falcons are simply a better offence than we've so far faced?
Obviously it's going to be some combination of the two, but I wonder how much each played in the defense looking more "human." last week.

Neither Bellore nor Reeves-Maybin had any idea where they were supposed to be on defense, let alone the ability to slow down Freeman or Coleman once they got a head of steam. Which they did often because Atlanta’s OL consistently won its battles with Detroit’s DL. Minnesota’s OL is not as good as Atlanta’s but it’s pretty clear the LB corps is solid with Davis and abysmal without, just like last year.

Seems like an easy win for the Lions. Case Keenum or a crippled Bradford at QB. Lions have been good vs the run. Of course it's the Lions so I'll predict Minnesota 63 - Detroit 24 (Detroit leads 24-0, 63 unanswered)

Detroit with an early lead? Don’t you know Caldwell’s game plans always call for them to come from behind. ;-)

Good teams can't lose to a team lead by Case Keenum at QB. If the Lions end up 2-2 out of this they are going to wash away a lot of good will they had built up during their near win at home versus Atlanta.

27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Detroit with an early lead? Don’t you know Caldwell’s game plans always call for them to come from behind. ;-)

Interestingly, the Lions haven't really been as bad early as I thought they would be.  I looked at each game from 2015, 2016, and 2017... of the 36 games, the Lions had the lead at the end of the 1st quarter 15 times.  They lead at the half 17 times.

Now obviously both of those number are below half, but not considerably  below half.

Mlive.com is reporting that Davis was practicing today which means he should clear the protocol to be active on Sunday.

They are also reporting that TJ Lang sat with what was listed as a “fibula” injury. That does not sound good. Travis Swanson was listed as “limited practice” so hopefully he is back at center.

Finally, they had a quote from Everson Griffin calling Greg Robinson “lazy”. “He gets beat on the inside. I think the biggest thing is, he’s got to compete more....” I love hearing players talk about other players, and I hope Greg Robinson finds some pride and seeks vengeance.

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And doesn't account for ties.

You are correct, and there were at least a handful of ties in each category.  I probably should have noted those while looking through, but too lazy to go back and do it now. :)

14 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Mlive.com is reporting that Davis was practicing today which means he should clear the protocol to be active on Sunday.

They are also reporting that TJ Lang sat with what was listed as a “fibula” injury. That does not sound good. Travis Swanson was listed as “limited practice” so hopefully he is back at center.

Finally, they had a quote from Everson Griffin calling Greg Robinson “lazy”. “He gets beat on the inside. I think the biggest thing is, he’s got to compete more....” I love hearing players talk about other players, and I hope Greg Robinson finds some pride and seeks vengeance.

Good news on Davis.

Bad news on Lang... but while I'll missing his play if he's out, we could at least have one or two fewer personal fouls in the game.

Re: Robinson... I agree 100%.  Hopefully this is motivation to step his game up... if he can.  It might just be that Robinson isn't that good rather than lazy.

Good news on Davis.
Bad news on Lang... but while I'll missing his play if he's out, we could at least have one or two fewer personal fouls in the game.
Re: Robinson... I agree 100%.  Hopefully this is motivation to step his game up... if he can.  It might just be that Robinson isn't that good rather than lazy.

With four penalties in three games (he is tied for the league lead), Lang has already matched his penalty total from all last season.

What gives? It’s too simplistic to say he’s been Lionized. Or have the referees Lionized him? Something about that Honolulu Blue seems to compel the refs to pull their flags right out of their pants.

2017: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=OFFENSIVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

2016: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2016&week=100&category=OFFENSIVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=2

Lang's penalties suck, but the guy is just a monstrous upgrade over every non Wagner OL on the roster. It crushes us if he's out. Glasgow and Swanson hve been awful and of course Robinson too.

Weekly PFF update.

The lines are still really bad, except for our top 3 DEs and our right side of OL, where we have been strong.

Whitehead is a near pro bowler as an OLB

The secondary is legit, though Lawson and Hayden are awful. May be Tabor time sooner than later. Or Revis?

Jones, Golladay and Ebron have been truly awful. Can't afford that.

Fells was a big time add

On 9/27/2017 at 11:37 AM, pyrotigers said:

Keenum is better than Bradford. The Lions never make anything look easy.

6 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Lang's penalties suck, but the guy is just a monstrous upgrade over every non Wagner OL on the roster. It crushes us if he's out. Glasgow and Swanson hve been awful and of course Robinson too.

Lang was rarely penalized as a Packer now he comes to Detroit and they are common. Sadly, that does not surprise me.

Since there’s nowhere else to put it, the Bears look positively awful. Before tonight I’d never seen a QB kick a shotgun snap directly to the other team’s free safety. Now my innocence is lost.

I can only imagine that Atlanta got caught off guard by Tarik Cohen in Week 1. Chicago will be playing Trubisky by the time we play them in Week 11.

I know it sounds trite, but the Packers get away with so many penalties and then get so many gift penalties called on their opponents.  I don't understand how it continues happening.

• Like 1