LooseGoose

Caldwell signs extension

Caldwell and JBC can't do anything else with this offense /team. Injuries have definitely hurt the Lions chances. But the O scheme is vanilla and easy to defend. They are simply getting out coached. 

Someone like a John Harbaugh as mentioned above needs to come in and ramp it up. I believe Quinn will add the pieces that are needed. Just need the right guy driving things at this point. 

Worst case scenario is the Lions winning out (4 winnable games) and finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs, and Caldwell gets yet another season to try and win a playoff game.  Who would have thought the Lions would be (effectively) eliminated from playoff contention with 4 games to go back when they started 3-1?

14 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

I think Matt Patricia should be a head coach all along. Agree with him!

My 1st choice as well. The guy is a rocket scientist or something. Bring in a OC who knows how to run the ball and let Stafford manage the passing game. 

8 hours ago, JAYB said:

Caldwell and JBC can't do anything else with this offense /team. Injuries have definitely hurt the Lions chances. But the O scheme is vanilla and easy to defend. They are simply getting out coached. 

Someone like a John Harbaugh as mentioned above needs to come in and ramp it up. I believe Quinn will add the pieces that are needed. Just need the right guy driving things at this point. 

We obviously need a RB, but the #1 deep passing offense in the NFL being too vanilla is um, interesting?

This just in...

Caldwell’s extension was just one year, through 2018 season.

Speculation: Quinn gave Caldwell a “prove yourself” year, is angry that Caldwell’s team has been unprepared to start games all season (as well as through his whole tenure), and now is leaking news of the one-year extension to let the whole NFL know that Caldwell is likely on his way out.

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/jim_caldwells_extension_report.html#incart_2box_lions

Well, it is true that Caldwell has embarrassed himself throughout the season. The team is consistently unprepared to start games.  And being unable to get 11 guys on the field seem to be a struggle.  

The Lions had a very good 11-5 record in Caldwell's first year, with a good performance against the Cowboys in the playoff.  Fast forward three seasons (7-9, 9-7, 6-6) later and does anybody feel as good about this team as in 2015?  Stagnant, unprepared, same sloppy mistakes week after week.  It's time to move on.  I hope and pray they don't go 10-6, because they will bring him back in that case, maybe 9-7, too.  Although he'd be entering another lame duck year so they'd probably extend him again.  I won't root against them, but hoping for 8-8 or worse to make it clear (to Martha Ford) what the outcome needs to be.

Before the press misreported that Caldwell’s extension was multi-year, I believed that Quinn was expecting a division title and/or playoff win before making his bed with Caldwell.

The misreported multi-year extension puzzled me, but I’m now back to the belief that, without a playoff win, Caldwell is out.

Maybe their failure to report the length was some compromise with Ford/Wood to keep from embarrassing Caldwell, while not forcing Quinn’s hand too much.