LooseGoose

Caldwell signs extension

Speaking of coaches, here’s an article about former Detroit Lions Special Teams Coach Bill Belichick talking special teams:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/02/bill-belichick-press-conferences-special-teams-quotes

Also, it has the advantage of including a clip of the late, great, Sean Taylor absolutely demolishing a punter during a fake punt play in the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Seems Cooter/Caldwell fixed the play calling and the OL in the bye, pretty awesome to see us operating this way, other than goal line of course...

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

If by "fixed" you mean "played the Packers without Rodgers" then yep, fixed.

Huh? Does ROdgers play pass D or rush the passer? How did that affect Pittsburgh? I'm so lost.

THey've let up only 3 sacks in the two games since the bye, the pressure has been noticeably lower, Pitt was 2nd in sacks and hadn't let up a 60 yard WR going into our game and Stafford has throw 750 yards, no picks and like 8 ypa. What am I missing

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Huh? Does ROdgers play pass D or rush the passer? How did that affect Pittsburgh? I'm so lost.

THey've let up only 3 sacks in the two games since the bye, the pressure has been noticeably lower, Pitt was 2nd in sacks and hadn't let up a 60 yard WR going into our game and Stafford has throw 750 yards, no picks and like 8 ypa. What am I missing

You're missing that the Lions went 1-1 against the Steelers at home and Packers on the road, and would have went 0-2 had Rogers played. Not much has changed.

20 hours ago, azzurri said:

You're missing that the Lions went 1-1 against the Steelers at home and Packers on the road, and would have went 0-2 had Rogers played. Not much has changed.

lol. Ok

I don't know how anybody could say for sure that the Lions wouldve lost if Rodgers played. 

The Lions dominated that game moving the ball at will.  They essentially won by 3 touchdowns.  As good as Rodgers is he isn't guaranteed to make up that difference.   

I don't know how anybody could say for sure that the Lions wouldve lost if Rodgers played. 
The Lions dominated that game moving the ball at will.  They essentially won by 3 touchdowns.  As good as Rodgers is he isn't guaranteed to make up that difference.   

Oh come on. Aaron Rodgers would have gotten like ten untimed downs. ;-)

Seriously, our offense looked good, but a big part of that is that we dominated time of possession. That would not have happened if Aa-Rod was playing. I mean, 37 minutes - 23 minutes is unheard of.

But it was astounding that they did not have a single punt. Apart from the first drive, where they got the personal foul on third down to extend the drive, and the Abdullah turnover, the offense got it done. They look good without Greg Robinson at LT.

Fodder for the Caldwell conversation:

This team has been at its best down the stretch under Jim Caldwell.

The Lions are just 11-13 in first-half games during the Caldwell era, then 16-8 in the second half.

"I think (Jim Caldwell) does a great job starting in training camp, structuring practice, and the way we go about our schedule to help guys stay fresh throughout the season as much as possible," quarterback Matthew Stafford reasoned.

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/jim_caldwell_detroit_lions.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Players and assistants like Jim.  Talking heads and fans do not.

Discuss.

In other words, people who know Jim personally like him?

The bottom line to me is yeah I question his moves and there are things I don't like about him but I'm just a fan and no football expert and the fact is he maybe on the verge of taking the team to the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years with a roster that most would say has been average at best.   He has to be doing something right.

Those Fontes teams had talent but never a QB. I wonder how good those 90's Lions teams would have been with Stafford? Imagine Stafford having a running game, an OL, and Herman Moore and Brett Perriman to throw the ball to. 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:48 PM, sagnam said:

In other words, people who know Jim personally like him?

Because if I know someone, I like them automatically, and every football coach is respected by his peers and players automatically...

Because if I know someone, I like them automatically, and every football coach is respected by his peers and players automatically...

Well that's a ridiculously broad generalization. I was specifically referring to Caldwell.

Lots of players hate their coaches, and lots of coaches who got fired get bad-mouthed by their staffs and players on the way out.

Anyway, the point of the article I posted, and the quotes I excerpted, was that Caldwell’s Lions have been just under .500 in the first half of the seasons he has coached, and .667 in the second half. His players say this is because of his practice regimen, which keeps them fresher throughout a long season.

I don’t know if the players are right, but it is worth watching.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Jason_R said:

Lots of players hate their coaches, and lots of coaches who got fired get bad-mouthed by their staffs and players on the way out.

Anyway, the point of the article I posted, and the quotes I excerpted, was that Caldwell’s Lions have been just under .500 in the first half of the seasons he has coached, and .667 in the second half. His players say this is because of his practice regimen, which keeps them fresher throughout a long season.

I don’t know if the players are right, but it is worth watching.

Interesting to watch for sure

Yeah as really think that coaches and players need to both put aside their differences. Work together. As they were be just that differences. It is a respect thing.

But really it seems the team win on the road more and lose at home?!