LooseGoose

Caldwell signs extension

Wow. I’m surprised... and even more surprised that it was reportedly signed months ago and neither Quinn nor Caldwell said so, despite each being asked about it repeatedly.

Now the question will be whether it was Quinn’s idea or Mrs. Ford’s.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess he is Quinn's guy now.

Right or wrong in the long run I like the fact that Quinn is showing himself to be open minded.

Great move.  Quinn is showing himself to be a quality GM.  Caldwell deserved the extension.  

Nice that ownership hasn't finally given autonomy to the GM. It's working out well. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Wow. I’m surprised... and even more surprised that it was reportedly signed months ago and neither Quinn nor Caldwell said so, despite each being asked about it repeatedly.

that's pretty funny they didn't announce it. obvious move now, less obvious a few months ago i suppose.

probably saved some wailing and gnashing of the teeth among the fans inclined to such things to announce it when things are good.

has the respect of the players.  lets his assistant coaches do the work.  chooses good assistants.

sorry pats coordinators, you'll have to go and fail for other teams.

• Like 3

I wasn't a fan at first but he does let the coordinators do their jobs and they are doing it well.

It's Staffords show now anyways

Caldwell has won a lot of people over. Never thought I'd see the day. Glad to see the extension. 2nd best record in the NFC since hiring Cooter, 5th in the NFL. Pretty impressive.

Genuine, non snarky question. Does this convince everyone Quinn legitimately wants him as HC?

Made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, off to a good start this season, the players love playing for him, hires quality coordinators.  Makes sense that Quinn wants to keep him around.  I'm not his biggest fan but he has been getting results so I'm oddly ok with this, he's slowly starting to win me over.  Now it's time to at least win a playoff game sometime in the near future, it's been loooooong overdue.

Crooked Lions misled their season ticket holders, some of whom may have renewed on the hope Caldwell would not last out the season.  Now they have several more years to look forward to.  What a dumb move by a dumb organization.  Rewarding a coach for no playoff victories in 3 seasons, and probably only 1 or 2 wins against winning teams.  I would be furious if I still had my season tickets.

Caldwell has won a lot of people over. Never thought I'd see the day. Glad to see the extension. 2nd best record in the NFC since hiring Cooter, 5th in the NFL. Pretty impressive.
Genuine, non snarky question. Does this convince everyone Quinn legitimately wants him as HC?

I’m convinced, as nothing I’ve seen from Quinn - or Mrs. Ford - makes me think that she is micromanaging him, or that he would tolerate it.

But for the life of me I can’t figure out why they didn’t announce it to the press AND EVEN LIED TO THE PRESS BY OMISSION - unless they wanted to give the press the middle finger.

If this slide continues and all of a sudden are staring down the barrel of 3-5 or 3-6 and the offense continues to be a major problem, should Cooter be fired mid-season as Lombardi was?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If this slide continues and all of a sudden are staring down the barrel of 3-5 or 3-6 and the offense continues to be a major problem, should Cooter be fired mid-season as Lombardi was?

Good question.

The problem with Cooter is he telegraphs his plays. He’s a DC’s dream come true. It seemed nearly every time the offense lined up during the Saints game, Chris Spielman was telling the TV audience exactly what the Lions were going to do. If he was seeing it, you know the Saints D was seeing it.

That, and he can’t ever get off his own script. When something isn’t working, it’s maddening how he just stays with what isn’t working. Every week it’s the same plays, the same “I’ll just do what I did last week” stuff, or “let’s just stick with what worked before” stuff the entire game. It’s as if he doesn’t game plan for any specific team’s defense. He never appears to situationally adjust – until the Lions fall way behind and Stafford has to take matters into his own hands. He did this all last year, and I really believe it cost the Lions a couple of games. Week after week the Lions still have to rely on their defense to win

10 minutes ago, number20 said:

Good question.

The problem with Cooter is he telegraphs his plays. He’s a DC’s dream come true. It seemed nearly every time the offense lined up during the Saints game, Chris Spielman was telling the TV audience exactly what the Lions were going to do. If he was seeing it, you know the Saints D was seeing it.

That, and he can’t ever get off his own script. When something isn’t working, it’s maddening how he just stays with what isn’t working. Every week it’s the same plays, the same “I’ll just do what I did last week” stuff, or “let’s just stick with what worked before” stuff the entire game. It’s as if he doesn’t game plan for any specific team’s defense. He never appears to situationally adjust – until the Lions fall way behind and Stafford has to take matters into his own hands. He did this all last year, and I really believe it cost the Lions a couple of games. Week after week the Lions still have to rely on their defense to win

I think he's fallen into the same trap as Lombardi in that he is running a conservative and predictable offense. I agree with you that he doesn't change hi scheme up and quarter after quarter, game after game, he comes out with the same plan of attack. I would say the one area where he differs from Lombardi is in the short passing attack. Lombardi tried to turn Matt Stafford into a dink and dunk game manager with that offense he ran. While I feel that Cooter gets far too conservative at times, I don't think he's running the 5 yard offense that Lombardi did.

To answer my own question though, I would fire Cooter if Decker comes back in the near future and this offense continues to plod along and struggle. Ultimately though, if Cooter gets canned it means we would likely be destined for 6-10 or 7-9. It would also mean that Jim Caldwell is on his third OC and would likely be on his way out too.

Who would replace him? I don’t know that there is anyone waiting in the wings, like he was under Lombardi.

In the short term, I would prefer to see a new coach for the OL. It is inexcusable that the OL has been consistently bad under Caldwell’s watch. And if I’m Bob Quinn, having spent so much draft and financial capital trying to improve the line, and seeing no return, I would be livid. Yes, injuries, but the Lions OL has consistently been less than the sum of its parts.

During the season, there isn’t much ground for expecting a major coaching change. Perhaps Caldwell could bring in a retired coach as an outside consultant, but that would probably be the extent of it.

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Who would replace him? I don’t know that there is anyone waiting in the wings, like he was under Lombardi.

In the short term, I would prefer to see a new coach for the OL. It is inexcusable that the OL has been consistently bad under Caldwell’s watch. And if I’m Bob Quinn, having spent so much draft and financial capital trying to improve the line, and seeing no return, I would be livid. Yes, injuries, but the Lions OL has consistently been less than the sum of its parts.

During the season, there isn’t much ground for expecting a major coaching change. Perhaps Caldwell could bring in a retired coach as an outside consultant, but that would probably be the extent of it.

Caldwell would take over play calling duties if Cooter got fired in my view. Didn't they bring in Randy Edsell to be that coaching consultant you were talking about?

Caldwell would take over play calling duties if Cooter got fired in my view. Didn't they bring in Randy Edsell to be that coaching consultant you were talking about?

Last year. He’s back at Connecticut now.