Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Electrician Recommendation

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

GFCI outlet on the counter would not reset.   

It’s dead. If you don’t have a friend who does this type of stuff, any electrician should be able to do it for very cheap. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

It’s dead. If you don’t have a friend who does this type of stuff, any electrician should be able to do it for very cheap. 

I can try to replace it.............I just need to find a voltage tester that isn't too pricey first.  I will run over to Home Depot and get that stuff tonight.,   If I can't get the disposal to work, I will buy a new one later on.  

I still need an electrician,  I have to replace my dryer and I have one from my old house but I can't plug it into a standard outlet............It's a 220 plug.    

garbage disposal/glass/volt meter.

Not necessarily in that order.

Volt meter good. Others, not so much.

It may not turn on because it is jammed up. Garbage disposals are not designed to 
"dispose" of glass.  Start there.

Did a breaker or fuse blow?

Be careful with 220.  You can buy dryer pigtails at any DIY place.  Take a picture of the wires before you unhook the old ones. Color coded, easy peasy.  Hook the new one up the same way.

Don't **** up. :-)

Dude, can you turn the disposal manually?  If not, maybe it is tied up (which in turn would cause a breaker or fuse to blow).  Ever think of that, dude?

Whatever happened with the disposal has likely fried the gfci outlet. The disposal could still be jammed of course. Turning it manually would be a good idea. The bottom of the disposal has a spot for an allen wrench to turn it manually. You can turn it back and forth to loosen up something that might be jamming it. 

But the damage to the outlet is done. If it won’t reset and you can’t use it for other appliances, it needs to be replaced. Replacing it with a new gfci outlet should get everything working again. But you will want to confirm that the disposal is not jammed, too. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Whatever happened with the disposal has likely fried the gfci outlet. The disposal could still be jammed of course. Turning it manually would be a good idea. The bottom of the disposal has a spot for an allen wrench to turn it manually. You can turn it back and forth to loosen up something that might be jamming it. 

But the damage to the outlet is done. If it won’t reset and you can’t use it for other appliances, it needs to be replaced. Replacing it with a new gfci outlet should get everything working again. But you will want to confirm that the disposal is not jammed, too. 

Got the outlet CFCI on the counter to work. It was very jammed and wouldn't reset.  A fair amount of WD40 helped that out.   The outlet is dead.  Tried replacing it last night but the wires are fed into the back of the old one and I had no proper wire cutters.   Bought some today.   I will try to re-engage later.   It's under the sink and I am fat with a limited wingspan - this is very difficult (reaching things).   If there wasn't the piece of wood for the cabinet doors in the middle it would be a snap.  It's very hot under there too,  house has no A/C - I am Amish.    I can not speak so I am not working the rest of the day (I make phone calls for research at one job and do radio for the second job - no voice is bad - and I would like to thank the NFL officials in New York for that).    So I will focus on fixing and cleaning things around here. 

Next Recommendation -   Good Carpet Cleaning service.      

I managed to change the outlet without electrocuting myself or burning the house down (yet).   Garbage disposal is dead.    I mean deader than the Detroit Tigers 2017 playoff chances.  The motor doesn't even whirr anymore like when it gets jammed.    Off to buy a new one.  

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I managed to change the outlet without electrocuting myself or burning the house down (yet).   Garbage disposal is dead.    I mean deader than the Detroit Tigers 2017 playoff chances.  The motor doesn't even whirr anymore like when it gets jammed.    Off to buy a new one.  

Check for a reset button on that too!   I think many of them have reset buttons.

6 hours ago, pfife said:

Check for a reset button on that too!   I think many of them have reset buttons.

I know of the reset button. I have used it many times in the past.    Also have the Allen Wrench to turn it.   Dead. Just dead. 

40 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know of the reset button. I have used it many times in the past.    Also have the Allen Wrench to turn it.   Dead. Just dead. 

GRIM!

1 hour ago, pfife said:

GRIM!

New one is purchased.    Friend is helping me install it because my hands are kind of locked up right now - not working so great.  even typing is a chore.   Aging........WWEEEEEEEE !

I'm having an electrical problem and I thought maybe you guys could help.

A few weeks back, I bought some yard lights from Amazon. I have a series of 4 of them plugged into each other and then into an outlet in the garage. At night they're a little too bright so I put them on a dimmer that I had laying around the house. 

Worked like a charm for about 10 minutes and then the lights went dark and the dimmer was really hot. 

Too much load for that switch I assume? I'm pretty dumb with electricity so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Do they make a dimmer switch that would work for plugging 4 sets of those lights into?

Thanks in advance! 

19 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm having an electrical problem and I thought maybe you guys could help.

A few weeks back, I bought some yard lights from Amazon. I have a series of 4 of them plugged into each other and then into an outlet in the garage. At night they're a little too bright so I put them on a dimmer that I had laying around the house. 

Worked like a charm for about 10 minutes and then the lights went dark and the dimmer was really hot. 

Too much load for that switch I assume? I'm pretty dumb with electricity so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Do they make a dimmer switch that would work for plugging 4 sets of those lights into?

Thanks in advance! 

Yeah, your lights draw 500W (25 bulbs per string, 5 watts per bulb) and your dimmer is rated for 300. 

You could buy another dimmer and put 2 strings on each dimmer.  Or if you dont mind spending the money, something like this.