Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Ausmus being let go?

The irony is that he may be a better fit for what we're about to become than he was for what we were.

....and...

I know half of you half as much as I should like, and Iike less than half of you half as much as you deserve.

• Like 1

It is up on rotoworld too

The Tigers will not offer manager Brad Ausmus a contract for next season.

General manager Al Avila announced the decision on Friday. It comes as no surprise, as Ausmus has seemingly been on the hot seat for a while now. The Tigers have gone 62-91 this season and will miss the postseason for the third straight year.

Sep 22 - 4:16 PM

I don’t see the point in letting him finish out the season. He might have hard feelings about it and could start sabotaging the tank by making good in game decisions. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t see the point in letting him finish out the season. He might have hard feelings about it and could start sabotaging the tank by making good in game decisions. 

So sad it's funny.....so funny it's sad.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Come on................He's not going to do anything to help the team now.   Why would you spoil a good run like that? 

Last year when his job was in jeopardy media reports suggested he would get another manager's job pretty easily. Wonder if that is still the case. There was some sloppiness this year that may have dimmed his prospects of a quirk hire. 

I think hiring a noob manager for your last two years of contention, blowing them, and then getting rid of him when he's improved to decent and you're now the worst team in MLB makes a lot of sense

• Like 4

I have never forgiven Ausmus for putting Chamberlain in the 8th inning of game 2 in a 6-3 game against the Orioles in 2014. Sanchez was dealing in the 6th and 7th inning (I know he was coming off the DL if memory serves me correct but go to the well and get the job).  It was from that moment on that I realized Aumus was a robot.  Sandy Koufax in his prime could have pitched a perfect 6th and 7th and Ausmus was going to Chamberlain because he was his 8th inning guy.  I saw little improvement if any over the next 3 years.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/boxscore?id=59295

I think Ozzie Guillen is a terrible manager.  Just about anybody else will be fine.  They will have to suffer through next year no matter who is there. 

38 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Last year when his job was in jeopardy media reports suggested he would get another manager's job pretty easily. Wonder if that is still the case. There was some sloppiness this year that may have dimmed his prospects of a quirk hire. 

He'll get a job as a Bench Coach somewhere.  

9 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I think Ozzie Guillen is a terrible manager.  Just about anybody else will be fine.  They will have to suffer through next year no matter who is there. 

that's why it's not going to be a big name.   it's going to be someone on the way down or someone that just wants a shot.   Dave Martinez?   No way.     I am thinking Dave is probably hoping the Nationals don't get past the first round.    If not the Nats - Seattle might be a good fit - or maybe he just likes being the second guy on a really good team with a long, bright future.   

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Bill James said today that Ausmus is highly regarded and will find a job quickly.  James still works for the Red Sox.  I am not sure how well he is connected with other organizations.   

It wouldn't shock me if he ended up with the Mets.

I saw some Rusty Kuntz love for the replacement gig. I'd be on board with that, if only for the replica jerseys.

25 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Bill James said today that Ausmus is highly regarded and will find a job quickly.  James still works for the Red Sox.  I am not sure how well he is connected with other organizations.   

A managerial job?    I think he'll need to be a Bench Coach/Base Coach for at least a couple of years first.    He just wasn't the right guy at the right time here.  They needed someone with some experience.   Now is when you hire a newbie.   

Probably the best thing for Ausmus.   I think potential GMs will give him a pass for this season and maybe chalk up some of his mistakes in years past to inexperience but if he were to be a part of a few more 95+ loss Tigers team he may have a stigma about him where nobody would even give him an interview. 

I also want to see if the narrative changes about him from the media or fans, before it was all his fault, now that we aren't retaining him I want to see if it changes to "Nobody could win with what he had" or "He did the best he could under the circumstances" etc.