LooseGoose

2018 Spring Training Thread

I thought there was a Cabrera occurrence during a spring training as well?

What's wrong with your employer picking you up?  They didn't have uber back then.

No charges were ever filed.  he wasn't arrested.  You are conflating two issues here and they don't deserve to be.

I don’t think Derek Norris necessarily needs to be blackballed based on his suspension. The suspension, in the eyes of MLB, was the punishment. 

At the same time, a team should be considering their needs, and whether or not Norris is worth signing in the first place. I don’t think a team like the tigers has any need for Norris. It could be that none of the 30 teams need Norris. If the choice is Norris or another catcher with a similar outlook, I think it’s perfectly fair to go for the other guy given his prior suspension. 

To me, it feels like chadd was doing Norris a favor based on their history. I don’t really like it.

but he’s here. I would have preferred a different response from him when he was questioned about it. I don’t expect him to say he made a mistake or admit to anything. I don’t have a good alternative response in mind, though. 

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I thought there was a Cabrera occurrence during a spring training as well?

Yes, he was found drunk in a broken down car in the middle of Florida right before the spring started. Was taking pulls directly from a bottle of bad scotch and pulled the “do you know who I am” card on the cops. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, he was found drunk in a broken down car in the middle of Florida right before the spring started. Was taking pulls directly from a bottle of bad scotch and pulled the “do you know who I am” card on the cops. 

Do I recall that he had threatened someone at his last stop prior to being parked on the side of the road? Seem to recall some incident there?

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I thought James Buchanan was good scotch?  I know nothing about it.... but I know that's what he had.

Just now, Oblong said:

I thought James Buchanan was good scotch?  I know nothing about it.... but I know that's what he had.

Scotch connoisseur @Eric Cioe said it was bad, I think. I don’t know. 

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Do I recall that he had threatened someone at his last stop prior to being parked on the side of the road? Seem to recall some incident there?

According to google, he had gone to a bar after last call and threatened people there, yes. 

Anyway, the tigers and cabrera’s response to the incident was more forthcoming, and he did apologize and go through treatment. 

14 minutes ago, Oblong said:

You know what? I may have it backwards. Maybe Eric said it was too good to be chugging it like that from the bottle. 

35 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would have preferred a different response from him when he was questioned about it. I don’t expect him to say he made a mistake or admit to anything. I don’t have a good alternative response in mind, though. 

Keep it vague and positive, this isn't hard!

"We had private conversations about the allegations, but I'm looking forward to and happy to have a chance here in Detroit and to hopefully provide success on and off the field for the fans."

2 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Keep it vague and positive, this isn't hard!

"We had private conversations about the allegations, but I'm looking forward to and happy to have a chance here in Detroit and to hopefully provide success on and off the field for the fans."

Not bad.

”I discussed the incident with MLB prior to my suspension, and with the tigers this offseason. I feel very fortunate and humbled to be given this opportunity with the tigers. I am here to work hard and help the team. To the fans that object to the team giving me this second chance, I can only ask that you give me a chance, too.”

• Like 1

Or, just go with "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not bad.

”I discussed the incident with MLB prior to my suspension, and with the tigers this offseason. I feel very fortunate and humbled to be given this opportunity with the tigers. I am here to work hard and help the team. To the fans that object to the team giving me this second chance, I can only ask that you give me a chance, too.”

I like yours more haha.  (and for reference my it's not hard thing wasn't a call out to you, just in frustration at Norris for being so tone deaf)

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Guy beats wife, still playing victim a year later, and you don't understand why the media or fans are hard on him. The political forum wants your idiocy back. 

I've stayed out of that cesspool on purpose.   Good to see you still wallow in it.    

So the problem is that he's not contrite enough?   Was that a part of the sentence that he received?   

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not bad.

Not even close.   He needs to prostate himself and grovel to those that had no direct involvement but demand it anyway.

If Norris ends up on the major league roster, it will probably means McCann is injured or gets demoted because he stinks. So it's a decent possibility.

12 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Not even close.   He needs to prostate himself and grovel to those that had no direct involvement but demand it anyway.

Who has demanded that?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I've stayed out of that cesspool on purpose.   Good to see you still wallow in it.    

So the problem is that he's not contrite enough?   Was that a part of the sentence that he received?   

It’s the sentence that’s given to anyone in a high profile job like a professional athlete. 

Being obtuse about it does you no favors 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

You know what? I may have it backwards. Maybe Eric said it was too good to be chugging it like that from the bottle. 

Yeah I think that’s right.  I knew Eric commented on it.  I googled it today and it was t cheap. Not expensive but not Boone’s farm either 

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I like yours more haha.  (and for reference my it's not hard thing wasn't a call out to you, just in frustration at Norris for being so tone deaf)

Oh I didn’t take it that way   

On 2/12/2018 at 4:41 PM, Charles Liston said:

Gardenhire vows that the Tigers will play the game the right way.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/02/12/gardenhire-vows-tigers-will-play-game-right-way/110351546/

I haven't read the article.  I can't.  I'm too upset by the headline.  I'd rather vomit Coca-Cola through my nose.

OMG! We’ve not only become the Twins but we also suck? 

I don’t dislike Gardenhire. At the very least, he has proved that he can manage a winning team over a number of years (if you give him the talent).

He is the least of my concerns with this org. 

I dislike the style of play that Gardenhire sometimes promotes, but I don't necessarily think he is a bad manager.  I am also not concerned about him.  

It will impossible for gardy to make a terrible team worse than it is. Should I bring the terrible loogy or the righty who can’t throw strikeS?

• Like 1