LooseGoose

2018 Spring Training Thread

5 hours ago, CapitalTigers said:

Always think of HueyTaxi's post around this time of year, definitely miss those! 

Strange that you post this - I thought of him today.  

15 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Strange that you post this - I thought of him today.  

I hear ya. We all get our time here and that was his moment and highlight on those fields with his camera. I am definitely a reminscer.

Pitchers and catchers and Deuce have reported to spring training.  There is a game next week!

636541204257073561-2018-0213-rb-tigers-w

Freep had a piece on ST in Lakeland. Not as much buzz this year naturally with the turnover and lowered expectations. 

Noted that Verlander had seventeen sports cars at camp with him last year. I knew about the cars but had no idea he had that many! Wow!

Noticed a day or two ago that there were good seats behind the Tigers dugout for one of the Yankees games in Lakeland. Definitely a different year.

Mikie Mahtook is getting Upton’s #8 this year. 

Katie Strang:

Asked repeatedly whether he and Assistant GM David Chadd discussed the incident that led to his domestic violence suspension, Derek Norris answered: “ All Baseball. “

Asked Derek Norris about what he’d tell those that are upset the Tigers would sign someone with a domestic violence suspension. His response: “People are entitled to their opinions... whatever doesn’t kill you make you stronger.”

i think the operative phrase is tone deaf.

So I guess Derek Norris is saying he did his wife a favor by making her stronger?

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Katie Strang:

Asked repeatedly whether he and Assistant GM David Chadd discussed the incident that led to his domestic violence suspension, Derek Norris answered: “ All Baseball. “

Asked Derek Norris about what he’d tell those that are upset the Tigers would sign someone with a domestic violence suspension. His response: “People are entitled to their opinions... whatever doesn’t kill you make you stronger.”

i think the operative phrase is tone deaf.

Did she ask Cabrera the same questions back when he had his issues?

Seriously just cut this guy now and get it over with. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't think she was covering the team at that point. Cabrera was asked about it and probably gave non-responses. But he is a great player who was signed to a huge contract.

I don't mind that the Tigers signed Norris. It seems like they didn't even consider that his DV issue could be construed as negative.

"He's a good kid. It's all about baseball."

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Which issues? I recall him taking questions from reporters after his spring DUI. 

I don’t remember the aftermath of his late 2009 episode. I think they only played a few more games that year and then they lost game 163.

Every reporter wants a scalp.

On one hand people write about rehabilitation and 2nd chances.

On the other hand it seems that they feel this guy should never be able to work again in his profession.

He made a mistake.   He paid a price.  Why continue to flail him over it?

His suspension was at the end of last season (and he was already released when suspended i believe).  I don't see how asking questions about it, especially about how it relates to him finding employment on his first team after the suspension, is out of bounds.

I think Tigers management(Avila, Chadd) should be scrutinized more for how they handled it. But Norris should certainly have to answer questions about it.

26 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Every reporter wants a scalp.

On one hand people write about rehabilitation and 2nd chances.

On the other hand it seems that they feel this guy should never be able to work again in his profession.

He made a mistake.   He paid a price.  Why continue to flail him over it?

Guy beats wife, still playing victim a year later, and you don't understand why the media or fans are hard on him. The political forum wants your idiocy back. 

Wife beating is one of those things where you don't get second chances.  Legally, you can get them - he still gets to play.  Don't expect people to like him and not question him though.    

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kdog said:

I don't think she was covering the team at that point. Cabrera was asked about it and probably gave non-responses. But he is a great player who was signed to a huge contract.

I don't mind that the Tigers signed Norris. It seems like they didn't even consider that his DV issue could be construed as negative.

"He's a good kid. It's all about baseball."

That's kind of my main gripe with it. 

If she wasn't around to ask the question, that's a fair point to make.  I shouldn't assume that she was.

Oh the irony of it all, today is Norris’ birthday. You just knew he was a Valentine’s Day kind of guy.

It's crap like that which gives me little faith in Avila/Chadd.  Maybe it means nothing in terms of how they develop baseball players but this tells me they are stupid.

DD was here for like 15 years. I  recall 2 PR snafus.  One was "Bobby Higginson, nice player... you try and trade him".  For those who don't remember it wasn't that he said it... it was that he said it to a private meeting with ticketholders, the media reported it, and he flatly denied it.  Then they produced a tape.

The other was the crazy Max Scherzer PR release where they announced they offered him a big deal and he rejected it. (Which I don't think was his press release but Mike Ilitch's)

All the guy has to say is "Yeah, I made a mistake.  I went to therapy, I hope to be a better person."

Or something like that.  When it comes to domestic violence i do think there's a certain pscyhological element that could be at play with some people... but not all.  Some people are just jerks and will beat up anyone.

The reason I say this is due to someone I know.....  Very nice guy.  Good guy.  Decent guy.  All of that.  I've never seen a mean streak at all.  Shortly after they got married she confided to my wife and others at a "girls weekend" that he had hit her a few times.  He went to therapy.  Sorted out some issues he had.  that was 20 years ago.  Trust me, the spouse he hit would never put up with this, she's the first person to call out family members who misbehave or are rude.. that kind of thing.  So based on that I can be open to giving someone second chances provided htey take the right steps to correct it.  But some guys obviously can't be or don't care to be corrected.

Although Cabrera wasn't charged, I think Dave driving him home from jail was amateur hour:

DETROIT -- This much is known about the physical altercation between Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera and his wife, Roseangel:

According to Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson, Roseangel called 911 at 6 a.m. Saturday morning after the couple fought because he came home intoxicated and loud after drinking at Birmingham's Townsend Hotel with an unspecified fellow Venezuelan who plays for the Chicago White Sox.

What is not known is what Cabrera, the cleanup hitter Detroit has depended upon to carry its offense, was thinking.

The Tigers had just lost a Friday night game to the White Sox, and needed to win on Saturday and Sunday to clinch the American League's Central Division.

These were the biggest games of the year and Cabrera went 0-for-11.

Cabrera entered Friday night's game hitting .329 with 33 home runs and 101 RBIs, but did nothing against the White Sox. He either struck out, grounded out or popped up in every at-bat. Cabrera stranded 11 base-runners over the weekend, and hit into a double play to kill an eighth-inning rally on Saturday night with Detroit trailing by three runs.

On Monday afternoon, Cabrera issued this statement through the Tigers:

“There was an incident that took place on Saturday and it is a personal matter. I am sorry this has become a distraction, and I apologize to the Tigers, my teammates, and all of the fans. I would appreciate it if you would respect my family’s privacy as I prepare for our next game.”

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski declined comment, saying that he was respecting that it was a personal matter. Patterson said Dombrowski picked up Cabrera at the Birmingham Police Department at 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

"He was not arrested," Patterson said. "We have no problem arresting sports figures, but they were mutual combatants. The gold chain was ripped off his neck, and both contributed to the violence. Both had scratches on their faces after it escalated from verbal to physical."

Patterson said that generally arrests are made in situations where only one of those involved has been physically harmed.

"I don't know if this is ongoing," Patterson said, "but we have never been to their home before. It's their first exposure to police and hopefully their last. If we have to go there again, we will be much harder."

He said Cabrera was administered a breath test that registered .26. He said .08 is considered intoxicated when motor vehicle drivers are tested.

"She did not expect him to come home intoxicated at 5 a.m., and wake up their child (daughter Roseangel, 4) by being loud on the phone," Patterson said. "We came to the house and he let us in. She was upstairs and things had settled down. But she wanted him out, and he agreed to leave. She did not want to press charges, and he did not want to press charges.

"I'm not sure how he got home, but we were not going to let him drive. So, we took him to the station and the general manager, Dave Dombrowski, picked him up."