John_Brian_K

Pregame: Lions -v- Falcons Sunday 1:00pm on Fox

Maybe New York could have made the best of a bad situation by saying the play was down short of the goalline with 11 seconds to go. 10 second runoff for one final play with 1 seconds to go. Maybe that's fudging a bit, and with no team really pleased about that. But stepping back with common sense, it  be hard to argue with the game coming down to one all or nothing play.

What a football game. I'm only 24, so I can say with pretty good confidence that was the best Lions game I have ever watched. NFC champs, loaded on both sides of the ball, could've easily won a Super Bowl last year and probably are the favorites this year.

Lions played pretty well. Some bad penalties and drops by Ebron, but that last drive was Super Bowl intensity.

Tate was just barely short, but the 10 second run-off shouldn't be an automatic thing. They were on the 1 yard line and could've easily gotten a 4th down play off. Stupid rule, should definitely be more of a subjective thing. If you have players 25 yards down the field, 10 seconds is fair. But not on the 1 yard line.

• Like 1

It is almost comical though how many controversial calls the Lions are a part of.  Whether it was the Calvin rule, throwing a challenge flag on a TD on the Thanksgiving game, the Pass interference call in Dallas, the facemask penalty on Rodgers giving them a free play, the would be safety call(I think that was what it would've been I just know it was controversial) on MNF in Seattle a couple years ago and now this.    It always seems to be something with this team. 

• Like 3

It is almost comical though how many controversial calls the Lions are a part of.  Whether it was the Calvin rule, throwing a challenge flag on a TD on the Thanksgiving game, the Pass interference call in Dallas, the facemask penalty on Rodgers giving them a free play, the would be safety call(I think that was what it would've been I just know it was controversial) on MNF in Seattle a couple years ago and now this.    It always seems to be something with this team. 

The NFL treats the Lions as its *****.

Mrs. Ford should threaten to pull Ford ads from the NFL (not that she could), and should join with Jerry Jones to push Roger Goodell out as Commissioner. He is an abject failure with regard to domestic violence, player discipline, the anthem controversy, and most of all, the abysmal state of officiating.
  • Like 1

I wish that 3rd down pass had been to Ebron. He would have just dropped it cleanly for an incompletion and at least the Lions would have had time for one more play.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

What a football game. I'm only 24, so I can say with pretty good confidence that was the best Lions game I have ever watched

So you have decades of suffering left.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I wish that 3rd down pass had been to Ebron. He would have just dropped it cleanly for an incompletion and at least the Lions would have had time for one more play.

LOL QFT

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's what I was thinking.   I know it's playing Monday morning QB but even at the time I wasn't a fan of the playcalling.  I just don't like emptying the backfield and spreading it wide in situations like that.   Atleast put a RB back there to give the defense something to think about.  In a very condensed field like that it takes such a precision throw to score in that situation.  

Plus in the event it fails, you still have a play or two.  Just frustrating.   

9 minutes ago, djhutch said:

At the very least, it told me the Lions can play with anybody.

I agree. I said before the game that a close game was almost a win for the Lions. But to lose like this is somewhat.....no it's VERY, heartbreaking.

Setting aside the officiating, and the Roger Goodell voodoo doll, some thoughts about football:

1. Without Jarrad Davis, the LB corps is awful. Can’t cover, can’t tackle, can’t even get into position to tackle. The Falcons would have won by twenty points had they rushed 45 and threw just 15. But they let their egos get involved, like in the SB.

2. The DL squeezed the pocket but couldn’t get home. Nevertheless, they gave Ryan happy feet and forced him to overthrow the three balls that got picked.

3. This secondary, led by Quin and Slay, dominated the game. With the exception of Pittsburgh, this is the most complete offense they will see all season. And it took an intervention by the league office to get them the win.

4. The Lions running game was atrocious. I never heard of the guy who started at LG. Was he Quinn’s second cousin? Better hope Swanson is back soon.

5. Cut Ebron. He can’t make a play when it counts, only in garbage time. Henceforth his nickname is “Garbage Time”.

6. Stafford’s would-be 29th 4th qtr comeback will, for now, reside next to Armando Gallarraga’s perfect game. But he was “nails” today, as he puts it. Some incredible touch throws, and a comeback that only the NFL could stop. EDIT: It’s worth noting that Stafford far outplayed the reigning MVP.

This is a playoff team, and - with Davis at MLB - can win in the postseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

Setting aside the officiating, and the Roger Goodell voodoo doll, some thoughts about football:

1. Without Jarrad Davis, the LB corps is awful. Can’t cover, can’t tackle, can’t even get into position to tackle. The Falcons would have won by twenty points had they rushed 45 and threw just 15. But they let their egos get involved, like in the SB.
2. The DL squeezed the pocket but couldn’t get home. Nevertheless, they gave Ryan happy feet and forced him to overthrow the three balls that got picked.
3. This secondary, led by Quin and Slay, dominated the game. With the exception of Pittsburgh, this is the most complete offense they will see all season. And it took an intervention by the league office to get them the win.
4. The Lions running game was atrocious. I never heard of the guy who started at LG. Was he Quinn’s second cousin? Better hope Swanson is back soon.
5. Cut Ebron. He can’t make a play when it counts, only in garbage time. Henceforth his nickname is “Garbage Time”.
6. Stafford’s would-be 29th 4th qtr comeback will, for now, reside next to Armando Gallarraga’s perfect game. But he was “nails” today, as he puts it. Some incredible touch throws, and a comeback that only the NFL could stop.

This is a playoff team, and - with Davis at MLB - can win in the postseason.

I agree with all of with the exception of point 6.  As painful as this was, at least there's some logic to it.  You can make an argument for the other side... kinda... I mean if I was a Falcon's fan I could look at it and say: "Well, maybe this or that..."

The Gallarraga call was inexcusable.  There not way to make an argument in favor of that one at all.

Just now, RedRamage said:

I agree with all of with the exception of point 6.  As painful as this was, at least there's some logic to it.  You can make an argument for the other side... kinda... I mean if I was a Falcon's fan I could look at it and say: "Well, maybe this or that..."

The Gallarraga call was inexcusable.  There not way to make an argument in favor of that one at all.

The argument at the time was the human element. Now we have replays, less arguing and a much more boring game, according to some people. Less arguing means less ejections which mean instead of watching grown men lose their cool and scream at each other, we get overweight fat men standing around trying to get a call right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/falcons/comments/727koc/friendly_lions_fan_here/

Lot's of Falcon's fans over there seeming to agree with us:

• Bruh, y'all won we just got lucky
  • They should've let y'all run another play with 0:00 on the clock
  • Every fan here is glad we won, but I imagine maybe a fraction of us (the real die hard / idiots) feel we deserved it.
  • Good luck to y'all for the rest of year. Y'all should have beaten us we didn't deserve to win
  • We got lucky...and I’ll take it.
  • Like 1

We have a friendly disagreement. :-)

The officials in the bowels of NFL HQ had to go into the bowels of the rule book to pull out that piece of crap ruling. He was not contacted until he was in the end zone, and as far as I can tell there were 11 seconds on he clock when he went into the end zone.

Also - once again - even if I disagreed with the original call of TD, the Lions were victimized by a poorly written rule as a result of an error by officials.

Roger Goodell’s NFL and it’s officiating are out of control. Ten years ago, five years ago, **** even two years ago, that would be a TD 100 Times out of 100.

One day in my life, this godforsaken franchise will catch a break.

It may come if Cincy hangs on to beat GB.

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/falcons/comments/727koc/friendly_lions_fan_here/

Lot's of Falcon's fans over there seeming to agree with us:

• Bruh, y'all won we just got lucky
  • They should've let y'all run another play with 0:00 on the clock
  • Every fan here is glad we won, but I imagine maybe a fraction of us (the real die hard / idiots) feel we deserved it.
  • Good luck to y'all for the rest of year. Y'all should have beaten us we didn't deserve to win
  • We got lucky...and I’ll take it.

Very nice find. Respectful NFL fans are hard to find, especially on the internet. It sounds like even the Falcon fans dislike Green Bay. Pretty smart folks down there. ?

Wow, I don't remember this game, that's arguably an even worse application of the 10-second rule.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rams-bucs-nfl-injury-rule-2014-9

The St. Louis Rams picked up their first win of the season when an obscure NFL rule caused the last eight seconds to be automatically taken off the clock so the Tampa Bay Buccaneers lost an opportunity to attempt a game-winning field goal.

The ruling came when the Bucs were attempting to get within field goal range in the final minute. With less than 20 seconds left on the clock, Bucs quarterback Josh McCown completed a long pass to Mike Evans which would have left the Bucs with about a 50-yard field goal attempt for the win.

But after catching the ball, Evans was hit hard and fell back to the ground unable to get up.

The problem for the Bucs is that they had no timeouts left. If the officials have to stop the clock, it will be deemed an injury timeout. Under the NFL rules that would require an automatic 10-second run-off from the clock.

McCown could be seen yelling at Evans to either get off the field or lineup so the team can spike the ball to stop the clock. But it was too late. The official closest to Evans was already signaling for the clock to be stopped.

An obviously injured Evans has three choices as he is laying on the grass and none of them are good. The safe option is to stay on the ground and wait to be treated by trainers. However that means the game will be over.

The other options are to either try to get off the field or try to line up for the Bucs to spike the ball and stop the clock. Both of those options put his health at risk.

The Clock is the story now.  It's the clock.   If they claim the play is dead when his knee hits there should have been 1 second left for the Lions to snap the ball.............

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

cooks, the wr for the patriots actually dropped his game-winning TD catch vs. houston, and that wasn't overturned.

so yes, there is a double standard in the nfl.

Of course there is. No one debates that. The question isn't whether the NFL would have overturned the Pats or Pack or Cowboys, it's if they would have overturned the Bucs, Panthers, Eagles, etc. I think they would.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

What a football game. I'm only 24, so I can say with pretty good confidence that was the best Lions game I have ever watched. NFC champs, loaded on both sides of the ball, could've easily won a Super Bowl last year and probably are the favorites this year.

Lions played pretty well. Some bad penalties and drops by Ebron, but that last drive was Super Bowl intensity.

Tate was just barely short, but the 10 second run-off shouldn't be an automatic thing. They were on the 1 yard line and could've easily gotten a 4th down play off. Stupid rule, should definitely be more of a subjective thing. If you have players 25 yards down the field, 10 seconds is fair. But not on the 1 yard line.

Agree. Once the the wound heals from the way they lost this game, they should feel pretty good about themselves for how well they played a superior team. They had a chance to win, despite costly penalties and dropped passes. If Ebron makes one of those catches, we might be celebrating a win right now. 

WRT the team folding because of that call, I just don't see it. If Caldwell has any strength as a HC, it's keeping his team focused and together. I bet he he tells them something along the lines of, "Now, none of us liked that call, but maybe if we do a couple of things better earlier in the game -- make a tackle here, make a catch there -- we don't have to put our destiny in the hands of a replay official. You men held your own against the best team in the league, and you should be proud of yourselves. Now it's time to get to work and prove everyone that it wasn't a fluke."