John_Brian_K

Pregame: Lions -v- Falcons Sunday 1:00pm on Fox

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The biggest difference was the point expectancy out of a PTA was a little higher then because the kick was shorter.

I understand the desire to leave the out to go to OT, but OT is a 50/50 proposition, whereas making a 2 pt conversion and then kicking the field goal is a 100% win.  I think that is why the 2 pt conversion is so valuable.  Make it and you are set up much better for the win and even if you miss, you still have the option to score the TD later.

Yeah, you could probably argue either way with some decent points... I think most people looked at the game when it happened and said: You're got Gus Ferrotte as your QB, getting a TD is not a sure thing at all... the offense had been hit or miss all game long. Hit the 1pt and you've got the safety net of just needing a FG to get to OT and you still have the option to score the TD and win.

I just thought it was interested that one the plays that often comes up with discussion stupid Lions' Coach's decisions of the past was, according to the chart, a smart move.

Again, I'm fully aware that the game was different in '98 and the chart might reflect different things then vs. now.

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I only do that when attacked first.  I am trying to even let that fly these days as even spending 5 seconds getting pissed at someone for being attacked for something so trivial...in words only no less, is too much.

Just FTR, I wasn't trying to single you out there JBK.  I just replied to your post cause it was the last in that particular thread of discussion.  

I definitely tend to side on the emotional side of things with my sports.

Just now, RedRamage said:

Just FTR, I wasn't trying to single you out there JBK.  I just replied to your post cause it was the last in that particular thread of discussion.  

I definitely tend to side on the emotional side of things with my sports.

Oh yeah I know.  I do that quiet often...I will quote the last person to say something and speak more in generalities about the idea than trying to single somebody out.

And his legion grows

Oh is TP trying to troll me? I blocked him a long time ago.

Anyway, apparently six days is too long between football games. ;-)

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, you could probably argue either way with some decent points... I think most people looked at the game when it happened and said: You're got Gus Ferrotte as your QB, getting a TD is not a sure thing at all... the offense had been hit or miss all game long. Hit the 1pt and you've got the safety net of just needing a FG to get to OT and you still have the option to score the TD and win.

I just thought it was interested that one the plays that often comes up with discussion stupid Lions' Coach's decisions of the past was, according to the chart, a smart move.

Again, I'm fully aware that the game was different in '98 and the chart might reflect different things then vs. now.

Getting a TD is never a sure thing for any QB, and I think it is easy to overstate the importance (or lack of importance) of an individual factor, such as the defense or the QB or the consistency of the offense in an attempt to justify what appears to be a bad decision on the surface.  I think the larger point is there are certain situations that are so favorable for one over the other that there rarely is an individual consideration or set of considerations that overwhelm the base strategy.

That written, the actual differences in upping your win / loss likelihood based on going for one or two tend to be pretty small.  It is like taking a dime over a nickel.  Yeah, taking the dime is better, but it isn't like your life will change if you have an extra dime as opposed to an extra nickel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Oh is TP trying to troll me? I blocked him a long time ago.

Anyway, apparently six days is too long between football games. ;-)

TP was not trying to troll you.

TP was not trying to troll you.

Did he tell you to say that?

Listen: nobody cares about your pissing contest. If your feelings get hurt when people say things about your team that you may perceive as critical, don’t come to a message board. Everybody will be much happier.

Now let’s agree to talk about football.

57 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Now that I've pissed off everyone on the thread, let's talk football!

Whoa... I don't feel pissed off yet myself.

Okay, given that we're headed down a LOT of tangents in this thread, I'm changing the thread title to "Pregame."  Someone else make an "official" game thread on Sunday, okay?

Nothing wrong with where the discussion headed, imho, but because it went so far off the actual game, just to be cleaner we'll do a new thread for the game itself.

• Like 1

Win all the games. This game has the most meaning because it's the next game. Also, it may have tiebreaker implications.

That being said, how many fans really, truly think the Lions are Super Bowl contenders? Just be competive, play mistake free football and let the chips fall where they may.

Will they beat the Falcons? All things being equal, I would say no. But in the NFL, if a team isn't totally focused, it may come out flat and lose. Also upcoming games actually sometimes matter. At times, better teams overlook poorer teams, with their eye on the next opponent. The Falcons play Buffalo after Detroit and then have their bye week. The Lions play in Minnesota after the Atlanta game. The only advantage we have is it's a home game. And that's a huge advantage. 

If forced to pick, I would have to take Atlanta. Reality sets in and our defense doesn't look as good as it did against lesser offenses. Or...our defense is for real and we kick their behinds. I love the sound of that. I'm not sure if it's realistic or not but that would be my hope.

I took the Giants last week and the reverse jinx worked. Do it again;

Falcons 34

Lions 17

33 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Okay, given that we're headed down a LOT of tangents in this thread, I'm changing the thread title to "Pregame."  Someone else make an "official" game thread on Sunday, okay?

Nothing wrong with where the discussion headed, imho, but because it went so far off the actual game, just to be cleaner we'll do a new thread for the game itself.

Now I remember one of the people who did not like the game thread to start in the week.  ;)

Just now, John_Brian_K said:

Now I remember one of the people who did not like the game thread to start in the week.  ;)

Honestly, if it were my preference they'd be a pre-game thread started Tuesday-ish, then an "official" game thread started Sunday (or game day) morning.

But I've long since given up trying to enforce any rigid structure here... too many people get upset that it's not structured enough while others get upset that it's too structured.  For the most part things just evolve organically and that's good enough.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Honestly, if it were my preference they'd be a pre-game thread started Tuesday-ish, then an "official" game thread started Sunday (or game day) morning.

But I've long since given up trying to enforce any rigid structure here... too many people get upset that it's not structured enough while others get upset that it's too structured.  For the most part things just evolve organically and that's good enough.

I’m on team single thread for pre/during/post game discussion. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Win all the games. This game has the most meaning because it's the next game. Also, it may have tiebreaker implications.

That being said, how many fans really, truly think the Lions are Super Bowl contenders? Just be competive, play mistake free football and let the chips fall where they may.

Will they beat the Falcons? All things being equal, I would say no. But in the NFL, if a team isn't totally focused, it may come out flat and lose. Also upcoming games actually sometimes matter. At times, better teams overlook poorer teams, with their eye on the next opponent. The Falcons play Buffalo after Detroit and then have their bye week. The Lions play in Minnesota after the Atlanta game. The only advantage we have is it's a home game. And that's a huge advantage. 

If forced to pick, I would have to take Atlanta. Reality sets in and our defense doesn't look as good as it did against lesser offenses. Or...our defense is for real and we kick their behinds. I love the sound of that. I'm not sure if it's realistic or not but that would be my hope.

I took the Giants last week and the reverse jinx worked. Do it again;

Falcons 34

Lions 17

538.com has them at a 5% chance to win the Super Bowl. Which is about the same chance they gave Trump of winning the presidency. So we've got that going for us. ;-)

The crowd at Ford Field gets pretty riled up during big games. I could see that becoming a factor that disrupts the Falcons' offense a bit.

My hunch is that if the Lions can keep Atlanta to 24 points, the Lions will win the game.

• Like 1

We just booked our Jamaica vacation February 2nd thru the 12th. The Super Bowl is on February 4th. I told the wife IF the Lions make the Super Bowl, I'll be headed to Minnesota instead. She doesn't seem very concerned. 😊😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

538.com has them at a 5% chance to win the Super Bowl. Which is about the same chance they gave Trump of winning the presidency. So we've got that going for us. ;-)

Cubs win the WS... Trump wins the White House... frankly I'd be very worried for the future of the planet if the Lions won the SB this season!

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

We just booked our Jamaica vacation February 2nd thru the 12th. The Super Bowl is on February 4th. I told the wife IF the Lions make the Super Bowl, I'll be headed to Minnesota instead. She doesn't seem very concerned. 😊😁

Many years ago before HD and and 55" TVs were common place, I told my wife that if the Lions ever made the SB that we'd be renting a big screen TV and hosting a major party.  Without a second's thought she replied: "That's fine."

She didn't seem to worried either.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Cubs win the WS... Trump wins the White House... frankly I'd be very worried for the future of the planet if the Lions won the SB this season!

I'm sure Dennis Rodman would find his way on to the victory parade, with his BFF, Kim Jong Un. ;-)