Brian

If not Ausmus then who?

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Someone here floated this idea out a few years ago, and I've never seen it improved upon - Gary Busey.

Yeah. I think he played Buddy Bell in the movie "THe Buddy Bell Story".

52 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Would Harbaugh try the sleepover bit with Manny Machado next offseason?

Is Machado young enough to interest him?

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

How many other college coaches coming off back to back third place division finishes are in demand for mlb managing jobs?

That's why he'll come cheap. We're a cost cutting team now

On 9/23/2017 at 7:29 AM, sabretooth said:

I can be had for very little.  They can pay me in bratwursts.  And oberon.

I saw a 12 at the store yesterday.  Its been in the 90s.  There's Oberon.  Yup, bought it.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Someone who can teach the young players how to win.

and to respect the game.  

When the Tigers hosted the All Star game in 2005 I attended a party for the media. After wandering around for a while I ended up on a bench to wait for my wife. This little old man sat down beside me, we exchanged pleasantries and he left. As he was walking away I realized it was Earl Weaver. If I would have known I would have told him that I was a Pirate fan in 1979

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

When the Tigers hosted the All Star game in 2005 I attended a party for the media. After wandering around for a while I ended up on a bench to wait for my wife. This little old man sat down beside me, we exchanged pleasantries and he left. As he was walking away I realized it was Earl Weaver. If I would have known I would have told him that I was a Pirate fan in 1979

That is hilarious. Earl was a piece of work. I still wonder what Dick Tracewski was thinking as the first base coach watching that tirade...he must have been laughing his *** off....

There used to be a youtube video that was audio only of Sparky dropping countless F bombs in an interview. I really wished I had saved it. 

Is there an old MLB lifer that has a lifelong dream of managing and also developed a lot of young players in the minors? They should just give it to whoever this hypothetical grizzled veteran is until they become good again.

Or someone out of the box like Kapler to try a bunch of crazy crap in a low-risk environment like our job will be for the next few years. 

10 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Is there an old MLB lifer that has a lifelong dream of managing and also developed a lot of young players in the minors? They should just give it to whoever this hypothetical grizzled veteran is until they become good again.

Or someone out of the box like Kapler to try a bunch of crazy crap in a low-risk environment like our job will be for the next few years. 

Lou Brown?

I really hope Avila has a well thought out plan and listens to successful baseball people going into this hiring. 

Personally, I think Brad did what he could with what he had. He pretty much inherited a sinking ship in my opinion. There wasn't a manager in either league that could have won with this team this year. He's been nothing but class since the announcement he wouldn't be back. 

Avila doesn't seem to have a timeline for a new hire. The rumors and suspense should generate much interest in the coming weeks.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:43 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

Regardless of who is the next Tiger manager, I hope his name can easily rhyme in a message board post when the team goes sour .... ala Darkness with Harkness or Brad Dumbass.  

Being serious, I like the idea of Lance Parrish, just because.  I would have no issues with Omar Vizquel either.  

Somebody call Johnnie LeMaster.