Brian

If not Ausmus then who?

On 9/21/2017 at 6:58 PM, sabretooth said:

I deserve that! :)

Looks like we better polish up those resumes. 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Prediction: The Tigers next manager will be loved by fans for the first month of the season.  Then when they see the Tigers losing and this new guy doing a lot of the same annoying things that most managers do, they will start to dislike him.  

I already hate him.

If you want a manager to distract from what's going on in the field, Ozzie is your man.

And he can take Cabrera out to get drunk, so there's that.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why?    Why is this such a crazy idea?       Yeah, he didn't work quite so well in Miami-  you ever check out that team's ownership?   He makes used car salesmen look honest.   The Castro remark was a bad idea - but he did win a World Series -  Can't be all that bad.       I think Ozzie would be bad now - at this stage but I think he would have been a better option before we tanked and got rid of everyone.  

Stupid idea.

• Like 2

Someone who is good with developing young players. Also someone who will not over pitch young starting pitchers. I'd prefer someone with experience so an old man is fine with me. They will most likely be gone after a couple losing seasons anyways.

Just because someone has a losing record doesn't mean they are a bad manager.  I would prefer someone who will stay a while. 

4 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I like Lance Parrish an awful alot- as a player, no doubt, but even more so as a person. He is such a quality guy. Do we really want to "Alan Trammell" him too? Anybody taking this job is going to have a very bad roster to work with. Having said this, it's probably not an attractive job to someone outside the organization, either. Anybody with any real chops is going to probably turn it down. But I'm not sure I'd want to do this to Lance, and I'm not sure he'd want to do it to himself, either. 

As for Tom Brookens, I always rooted for the guy. They don't come any smarter or any more old school than Tommy. But whatever happened to him in this organization, it quickly became apparent that he was going home to Pennsylvania to retire and hunt and that was just it. Something tells me it might have been his decision, because a guy like him could have latched on with another organization pretty quickly- particularly as a coach to start with. He's about as quality of a baseball man as you will ever find. 

The other thing is....Lance is (unbelievably) 61. That's kind of late to get your first gig. A guy like Rusty Kuntz might be a thought ouside of the organization, but he's also 62. 

Thank you. Yes, the dude is 61. I think the name "Lance" makes him sound young to some. Now if his name was "Merle" no one would consider him.

Regardless of who is the next Tiger manager, I hope his name can easily rhyme in a message board post when the team goes sour .... ala Darkness with Harkness or Brad Dumbass.  

Being serious, I like the idea of Lance Parrish, just because.  I would have no issues with Omar Vizquel either.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't be Ozzie, thankfully.....or Gardy, or any other retread.  The needs are simple:

- can work with a developing roster

- appreciates and uses metrics

- will hire talented coaches and is not afraid to change them when necessary

- works well with the FO to round out the bullpen and bench successfully.

Also, a **little** personality wouldn't hurt.

12 hours ago, Casimir said:

Looks like we better polish up those resumes. 

I can be had for very little.  They can pay me in bratwursts.  And oberon.

Avila said he wants someone with experience, if he goes that route I think he'll need someone who has experience with rebuilding who would be willing to stay a while. Will be interesting to see who makes his list.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

If the Tigers were really concerned with continuity for the players' sake and all that, they'd promote Mike Rojas, since it seems certain a high percentage of next year's roster coming out of Lakeland next March will have already played for him.

But if I had to make a bet on it, I'd bet the Tigers will hire a handsome, square-jawed ex-player with a healthy disdain for analytics. Lance Parrish probably fills that bill.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers were really concerned with continuity for the players' sake and all that, they'd promote Mike Rojas, since it seems certain a high percentage of next year's roster coming out of Lakeland next March will have already played for him.

But if I had to make a bet on it, I'd bet the Tigers will hire a handsome, square-jawed ex-player with a healthy disdain for analytics. Lance Parrish probably fills that bill.

It was announced earlier this week that Rojas would not Ben brought back by the Mud Hens.  So I guess he is available for the Tigers. 

11 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I would prefer Gibby. 

I don't see it.  Not with his health.  Looking at it from the outside, I think if I were a father of a potential prospect on the organization, I'd be content with the TV job and keeping tabs on my kid.  Maybe Gibson feels differently, I don't know.

I don't think they're going to dip into the alumni group for a new manager.  At least not a higher profile former player.

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I would prefer Gibby. 

None of the guys with Major League experience seem like a good fit at all for this team at this point.

They should have gone for Major League experience when Leyland retired.

What they need now is someone who can mold a young team and knows what the @$#@ metrics are and how to use them properly.

Agree with those saying it should be/will be a first timer. This is the time to experiment. Give the job to someone young/optimistic/interesting. Basically, what they hoped Brad would be. Maybe they find the next Dave Roberts. If not, easy enough to move on to the next one. A luxury of the rebuild, you get to take some chances.

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I'd call up Jim Harbaugh, he's itching to get out of the college game and back to the pros

How many other college coaches coming off back to back third place division finishes are in demand for mlb managing jobs?

• Like 1