Brian

If not Ausmus then who?

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Brookens had the perfect manager stache.  I don't know what went wrong.  The Tigers are probably going to be terrible for a couple of years, so it doesn't really matter, but it would be fun to see Parrish as the manager.  

I would definitely be on board with Parrish being the guy. That would generate some excitement for next year I believe. Brad aside, I still think successful catchers bring a perspective to managing that other guys don't have.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

The work the next two years will be in the front office and minor leagues.   The ML manager is just a figurehead at this point. 

I hope the org doesn't approach the hiring of the next manager this way. I get what you're saying but there needs to be someone in the dugout that is going to inherit these guys moving up sooner than  later and they need to realize consistency in the chain. This org needs to be better, everywhere.

As floated earlier-hire Lance Parrish for the gig. I'm probably in the minority here but I don't necessarily look outside for this guy. 

I too wonder what the deal was with Brookens. I thought he was being groomed for the job.

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I hope the org doesn't approach the hiring of the next manager this way. I get what you're saying but there needs to be someone in the dugout that is going to inherit these guys moving up sooner than  later and they need to realize consistency in the chain. This org needs to be better, everywhere.

As floated earlier-hire Lance Parrish for the gig. I'm probably in the minority here but I don't necessarily look outside for this guy. 

I too wonder what the deal was with Brookens. I thought he was being groomed for the job.

Could it have been they thought he was too close or similar to Tram?   

31 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Could it have been they thought he was too close or similar to Tram?   

Don't know if you're referring to managing style or personality. But... the same thing comes to mind with Parrish. You wonder how these guys are viewed at the top.  

With next year being a lost year, just give Victor the job and surround him with the best teachers in the minor league system.

Most clubs don't have a AAAA level affiliate. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I just want someone who will smoke in the dugout and cry in the clubhouse.

Deuce Sr?

On 9/21/2017 at 8:46 AM, Oblong said:

The work the next two years will be in the front office and minor leagues.   The ML manager is just a figurehead at this point. 

This is true. "A clean sweep" where you have a lot of new players and have a new manager too has a sort of utility, but it also seems sort of lazy.  Just throwing something called "new" against the wall and seeing if it sticks. I don't think a manager will make much difference.  I can't see one squeezing more blood out of this turnip than another.  A guy with a little more appreciation for metrics would be nice.  That is something I would not mind seeing thrown against the wall.  Given that managers, at least statistically, make little difference maybe one who's better at playing the numbers could make some difference. 

I don’t know. I’m rethinking this. Maybe some of the younger players would simply benefit from the stability and encouragement of an older manager that is kind of a father figure, instead one who seems to be little more than one of their peers. Maybe one that’s gruff and has a heart of gold and that smokes like a chimney and that deep down frightens them a little bit and who they’d hesitate to ever disappoint. 

Prediction: The Tigers next manager will be loved by fans for the first month of the season.  Then when they see the Tigers losing and this new guy doing a lot of the same annoying things that most managers do, they will start to dislike him.  

• Like 1

Lance Parrish and Mike Rabelo make the most sense. Parrish knows the players from the farm system as well as anyone. Yeah, he's a 1984 Tiger and I respect the argument about not becoming tarnished, but he'd help ease the club through the next 2-3 years and make the fans happy that he's there. Rabelo may have real potential as a manager but I don't know if his single year at class A is adequate. Perhaps with Parrish as bench coach.

I don't see any reason to go outside the organization right now. The best outside candidates will seek jobs elsewhere. Who wants a couple of 95 loss seasons to begin their resume with?

There is no magic answer here. The attitude that it really doesn't matter much has some merit to it.

23 minutes ago, wockenfussy said:

Lance Parrish and Mike Rabelo make the most sense. Parrish knows the players from the farm system as well as anyone. Yeah, he's a 1984 Tiger and I respect the argument about not becoming tarnished, but he'd help ease the club through the next 2-3 years and make the fans happy that he's there. Rabelo may have real potential as a manager but I don't know if his single year at class A is adequate. Perhaps with Parrish as bench coach.

I don't see any reason to go outside the organization right now. The best outside candidates will seek jobs elsewhere. Who wants a couple of 95 loss seasons to begin their resume with?

There is no magic answer here. The attitude that it really doesn't matter much has some merit to it.

have you seen our organization?

they need a mike rabelo type from an organization that is further along in analytics and player development. 

I like Lance Parrish an awful alot- as a player, no doubt, but even more so as a person. He is such a quality guy. Do we really want to "Alan Trammell" him too? Anybody taking this job is going to have a very bad roster to work with. Having said this, it's probably not an attractive job to someone outside the organization, either. Anybody with any real chops is going to probably turn it down. But I'm not sure I'd want to do this to Lance, and I'm not sure he'd want to do it to himself, either. 

As for Tom Brookens, I always rooted for the guy. They don't come any smarter or any more old school than Tommy. But whatever happened to him in this organization, it quickly became apparent that he was going home to Pennsylvania to retire and hunt and that was just it. Something tells me it might have been his decision, because a guy like him could have latched on with another organization pretty quickly- particularly as a coach to start with. He's about as quality of a baseball man as you will ever find. 

The other thing is....Lance is (unbelievably) 61. That's kind of late to get your first gig. A guy like Rusty Kuntz might be a thought ouside of the organization, but he's also 62. 

12 minutes ago, STLTiger69 said:

(Sarcasm)

Ozzie Guillen

Why?    Why is this such a crazy idea?       Yeah, he didn't work quite so well in Miami-  you ever check out that team's ownership?   He makes used car salesmen look honest.   The Castro remark was a bad idea - but he did win a World Series -  Can't be all that bad.       I think Ozzie would be bad now - at this stage but I think he would have been a better option before we tanked and got rid of everyone.