Brian

If not Ausmus then who?

3 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Can you imagine a manager in Detroit that would take the chance in the playoffs to have Justin Verlander pitch in relief?   Nope........neither can I.     

But.....Detroit needs a manager that is unpredictable and doesn't try to do everything by the book.  

Can you imagine a manager in Detroit that would take the chance in the playoffs to have Max Scherzer pitch in relief?

Yes, yes I can.

49 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Wouldn't that be hilarious? 

It is what I have been expecting to happen.  

So far Avila has said the team needs/is looking for:

• A fresh start
  • Experience

If that's the case, the young, up & coming managers like Cora, Dave Martinez, are probably on the outside looking in.  If "experience" means only Major League managerial experience, there's really only 4: Ron Gardenhire, Fredi Gonzalez, Manny Acta, Ron Washington.  I'm not really excited about any of them, although Acta is very analytics friendly.

2 minutes ago, djhutch said:

• A fresh start
  • Experience

If that's the case, the young, up & coming managers like Cora, Dave Martinez, are probably on the outside looking in.  If "experience" means only Major League managerial experience, there's really only 4: Ron Gardenhire, Fredi Gonzalez, Manny Acta, Ron Washington.  I'm not really excited about any of them, although Acta is very analytics friendly.

he said minor league manager or on a major league staff. cora and martinez are in the mix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Get Walewander and quit ******* around.

Reporting for duty. 

I'm going to run the club in a really simple manner.

I'm going to tell the guys to hit home runs and if they can't do that, to get on base so the next guy can hit a two run home run. Enough outs.

As far as pitching, I want our staff to give up less runs than the other team. Ideally, they're going to be inducing twenty seven weak ground balls to Iglesias. Our bullpen is still going to suck, so it's important to not go to it at all. 27 pitch complete games should ensure that. 

As far as defense, I want us catching the ball and not not catching it. We're letting Matt Martin go because we will have no need for shifting with Iglesias getting so many chances every game. 

I'm looking to go 162-0, but if we can squeeze out 60% of those games as wins, I'll be moderately satisfied. 

Also, no moustaches. 

14 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

he said minor league manager or on a major league staff. cora and martinez are in the mix.

I'd missed that.  Cora still doesn't meet the "experience" quotient.  If he's considering those on MLB staffs, the pool is obviously a lot bigger.  My personal preference would be someone like Martinez over the Fredi's & Acta's of the world.

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

My personal preference would be someone like Martinez over the Fredi's & Acta's of the world.

Agreed.  I want someone fresh like Dave Martinez.  I still think Ausmus was the right choice at the time he was hired.  Just need to find the next 'Francona' or 'Maddon'.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am looking for a manager with a managerial moustache.

I believe Phil Garner is currently available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, davidsb said:

I believe Phil Garner is currently available.

Now that was a moustache.

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I want a manager who will go on comical tirades against the umpires

That is another important and underrated qualification.  

In which Jon Heyman predicts our manager:

Inside Baseball | Manager carousel moving quickly

Ex-Marlins and Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and ex-Marlins manager Mike Redmond have been linked to the Tigers, as have Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens, Astros bench coach Alex Cora and White Sox coach Joe McEwing, along with Ruben Amaro, the ex-GM and an outside-the-box candidate. Although the Tigers were thought to be favoring experience, they seem at least open-minded about hiring a second straight manager without an MLB managing job on the resume. McEwing is thought to have done well in Detroit, and Cora is a hot name, with possible AL Manager of the Year A.J. Hinch giving him high marks for his first year as his right-hand man.

Neither is predicting the next manager. But the very early guess here would be Ausmus in Boston, Callaway in Philly, Cora with the Mets and Redmond in Detroit. Check back with me if I go 0-for-4 (very possible)

19 hours ago, Walewander said:

Reporting for duty. 

I'm going to run the club in a really simple manner.

I'm going to tell the guys to hit home runs and if they can't do that, to get on base so the next guy can hit a two run home run. Enough outs.

As far as pitching, I want our staff to give up less runs than the other team. Ideally, they're going to be inducing twenty seven weak ground balls to Iglesias. Our bullpen is still going to suck, so it's important to not go to it at all. 27 pitch complete games should ensure that. 

As far as defense, I want us catching the ball and not not catching it. We're letting Matt Martin go because we will have no need for shifting with Iglesias getting so many chances every game. 

I'm looking to go 162-0, but if we can squeeze out 60% of those games as wins, I'll be moderately satisfied. 

Also, no moustaches. 

TBfgUrq.png

14 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

In which Jon Heyman predicts our manager:

Inside Baseball | Manager carousel moving quickly

One bit that you did not post from Heyman, that I thought was interesting... Plz no Amaro.

Amaro, the ex-Phillies GM, was linked in a report to Philly (that seems unlikely), but they are taking a look at him in Detroit, as was reported by FanRag Sports. They’ve also interviewed three in-house candidates, including Lloyd McClendon, though some took the “fresh start” comment by GM Al Avila to mean they may be leaning toward an outside hire.

On 10/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, djhutch said:

• A fresh start
  • Experience

I take that to mean he won't get the job here.

I don't know, I think Dave Martinez finally steps out of the shadow of Joe Maddon and ends up with the Red Sox job.   I haven't read anything about it, but I just have that feeling.    If the Nats lose tonight, I think Dusty Baker will be gone.     If that happens two teams that won their division and made the playoffs will have managing vacancies.   I would not be shocked to see the Nats make a trade with the Giants for manager Bruce Bochy.   

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh my god, THANK you, Jonah Keri:

When it comes to hiring and firing MLB managers, nobody really knows what they are doing

I had always been sheepish when admitting that managers was a soft spot in my baseball knowledge, but it makes me feel better to consider that maybe that it's not my fault.

'As long as we all remember that **** happens in the playoffs. And that many other factors are more likely to decide the outcome of a game than whatever a manager might do from the bench."

You can say **** on cbssports?

I've lost a lot of respect for David Price this season with the way he's acted towards Dennis Eckersley and backstabbing his manager.    Maybe Dave should look in the mirror, he hasn't been all that since going to Boston.  

• Like 1