Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

#8 Michigan vs. Purdue - 9/23/17

43 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

anytime you have 2 qbs, 1 game isn't going to be the end of discussion. so speight is still in play down the road if healthy, for sure.

but if o'korn plays like this every start, he's the guy. hopefully that's the case.

I think he'll start Speight against MSU.    

I didn't see much of the second half, but kept up with it on the run.

Purdue was the perfect opponent for Michigan to face yesterday, and the perfect situation for O'Korn to come into.  Weak defense, facing his his old coach at Houston who benched him, leading to his transfer to Michigan.  Harbaugh/Pep had a nice package of plays prepared for him, and for the most part JOK executed them well.

The jumbo packages with two TE plus Ruiz as the blocking TE are awesome.  I really wish they would plug him in at RG because he is an absolute brawler, but I'm glad they are getting him some run this year to prep him for taking over at C the rest of his career at Michigan.  Gentry should see a lot of snaps going forward with his versatility.

The bye week is nice to have before MSU, which promises to be physical.  Whether or not Speight is healthy enough to return for Sparty is anyone's guess, but I'm guessing Harbaugh will go with the momentum JOK has right now if Speight isn't completely healthy.  If Speight is healthy, JH will have to seriously re-evaluate the approach he uses when Speight is in the game.

Most of us on this board have wondered where our awesome TE unit has been this year.  Lo-and-behold, it was hiding in the package they made for JOK.  Does JH really have that little faith in Speight throwing on the roll to call Michigan's traditional TE Waggle?  If that is the case, then he does need to start JOK until it is his turn to get killed in a pass-pro mix up.  How is Isaac that bad at it?

The defense keeps delivering.  Purdue was never shredding this defense with their personnel.  Devin Bush looks like Ian Gold out there--forget Peppers.

The punting situation needs to improve.  It is great Robbins didn't have any shanks yesterday, but I can see why he didn't beat the walk-on in camp.  I also hate the added risk of having him on the field more--we need that kid healthy and being ready to hit from 50 against PSU, WISC and OSU.

Very good win for Michigan going into the bye week.

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I was wrong about Nordin punting. It was the backup punter Robbins who also wears #3. 

Me three?

I was wrong about O'Korn.  He got better as the game went on, seemed to gain confidence, & his mobility set him apart from Speight.  Given the young OL that Michigan has, they'll need a QB that can run.

Now that we've seen how bad he is at this.  Someone should see if Brady Quinn and Fox Sports are as awful the next game they broadcast.  

Issues:  game camera located on the moon.  Quinn repeating that Perry is the chosen 3rd down receiver at least 3 times.  Robbins/Nordin. 

this is a pretty good thread on the issue.  Summary:  Matt Millen is no longer the hands down worst.  Likely Millen would have drafted Quinn to be a WR if he could as Lions GM. 

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/brady-quinnfox-announcing-wasnot-great-bob

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The MSU game is starting at 7:30. Gonna be a **** show. 

That seems like it might be a bacchanal of extraordinary magnitude.  Possibly rivaling Bilbo's farewell party.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:30 AM, Scottwood said:

IDK, I think O'Korn is basically the guy now. I also assume Speight could be out awhile anyway.

I think their base O will resemble similar play calls and formations that New England used when they had Gronk and Hernandez and all their slot receivers. 

I see no way in which OKorn isn't the starter until he loses the job.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Sorry, but the B1G needs to step in and make sure certain amenities are available at each stadium.  

Yeah, if you are going to collect tens of millions of dollars annually just for being in the Big Ten, the bare minimum should be all athletic facilities provide a certain level of amenities and access to medical equipment / staff.

I can't believe that Don Brown never got a DC job at a major program until last year. The guy is as good as it gets. Fielding a top 5 defense after losing 9/10 starters is just absurd.

The MSU game is going to make Purdue look like a clean team.  Putting Wilton back there dinged up doesn't make much sense, not knowing the extent of his injury aside.  JH doesn't need to put him at risk this season like he did last.  

Starting JOK against State makes a lot of sense and has little downside right now.  JOK has proven he can hit the TE Waggle play, and Michigan can beat MSU by three scores on the strength of that package we saw in the Purdue game alone.

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, if you are going to collect tens of millions of dollars annually just for being in the Big Ten, the bare minimum should be all athletic facilities provide a certain level of amenities and access to medical equipment / staff.

The reason for doing this...(was listening to Marcus Ray act all old school about this) and wanted to put this marker down.  

Do this because you want to elevate the state of all of the Big Ten facilities to make recruiting to the league seem more attractive. Big time facilities, big time playing experiences, bring the best players. 

Treat it like some sort of stone age fight-in-the-North Atlantic, train-in-the North Atlantic stuff and you won't appeal to the 5* athletes who might expect that treatment elsewhere.   

The league benefits if Rutgers, Northwestern and Purdue have elite athletes. 

12 hours ago, TigerNation said:

I can't believe that Don Brown never got a DC job at a major program until last year. The guy is as good as it gets. Fielding a top 5 defense after losing 9/10 starters is just absurd.

It does speak to the recruiting and development here too though.