ROMAD1

Proof that someone is messing with us

That and three MVPs, two cy young winners, a triple crown winner, a rookie of the year and winning the AL Central 2011-2014 with no world series win.

What the heck?  That almost deserves a GOB Bluth "Come on!"

NO TOUCHING! 

It's a shame people dwell on the negatives so much. I get it, it sucks. But we've been a very fortunate fanbase for the last decade plus. 

Sure, we missed out on 6 close no-hitters. We also got to witness two of them. And one of the misses was a perfect game. Not on record, but it was. 

And yes, we had to witness three MVPs, two cy young winners, a triple crown winner, a rookie of the year and winning the AL Central 2011-2014 with no world series win. If you'd have told me that 15 years ago I would have been absolutely thrilled with all of those, world series win or not.

Again, I get it. But I just don't understand the entitlement. Was the last decade really that bad? 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Yoda said:

NO TOUCHING! 

It's a shame people dwell on the negatives so much. I get it, it sucks. But we've been a very fortunate fanbase for the last decade plus. 

Sure, we missed out on 6 close no-hitters. We also got to witness two of them. And one of the misses was a perfect game. Not on record, but it was. 

And yes, we had to witness three MVPs, two cy young winners, a triple crown winner, a rookie of the year and winning the AL Central 2011-2014 with no world series win. If you'd have told me that 15 years ago I would have been absolutely thrilled with all of those, world series win or not.

Again, I get it. But I just don't understand the entitlement. Was the last decade really that bad? 

Good post. We would all love to have a World Series championship, but those accomplishments don't make the lack of one any worse. 

To be honest, I'd rather have what tigers did over what the royals did. 

There is too much focus on championships.  I really wish they got one in the last dozen years, but baseball playoffs are pretty random.   

• Like 1

The fact that the Tigers actually had 6 no-hitters heading into the 9th inning is amazing.  It means we have seen some pretty good outings by our pitchers.   The glass is half full sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Was the last decade really that bad? 

Yes.

The Tigers won zero world championships one of which was lost to the worst team in the history of baseball to win a World Series.

The Tigers had 6 no-hitters lost in the 9th inning which is double of any other team in MLB during that time period.

Justin Verlander was cheated out of one if not two Cy Young awards.

As a fan - all of the above is a very bitter pill to swallow.

:alien:

• Like 1

I agree with Lee, but world championships are still the barometer and it'd have been nice to win one, especially in 2013. the no hitters being lost pisses me off simply because it feels unfair, haha.

But it has been a pretty exceptionally great 10 years for Tigers fans.

• Like 1

Would have been really sweet if Boyd could have completed the game as a no-hitter. I'm more disappointed for him as a person than I am for the team or the fans. Hopefully this will give him more confidence going forward. He does battle out there. 

i love the tigers and have loved the past 10 seasons or so. but the more you love something the more it hurts you. 2006 and 2013 hurt like **** still.

relatively speaking. it's only sports, and they have pills for that.

I rarely think about 2006 or 2012 or 2013 and when I do it isn't with angst or disappointment.

2003 hurt like **** and have no desire to revisit it.  I'd take making the World Series but losing every time.

I was simply happy that there was something worth watching yesterday afternoon. 

I headed out to run errands around 2 yesterday, including returning some bottles and cans to the Kroger. On the drive there I heard Dan talking about how the Tigers had taken a 6-0 lead or something and my first thought was being pissed off about the Tigers blowing their chance to get even with the white sox in the race for third pick. 

At the Kroger, I got stuck behind a couple guys who had garbage bags full of cans from the Michigan game. They were taking up all of the machines and without any thought for the now growing line of people with a modest amount of returnables. I didn't bother following the game on my phone, instead making a point to stare at these guys and hope that they would relent and take a break. 

Eventually, one of the guys sheepishly backed away and gave over the machine to me. I returned my 95 returnables and got out of there, and realized as I was turning in my slip at the register that my machine became full about a minute after I finished. 

Next stop was Home Depot, where I glanced at Twitter on the way in and saw Boyd was through six innings. I got what I needed, and by the time I got out it was heading to the 8th with the no hitter intact. So I inserted a trip to the local pub in my list of errands and was able to see the bottom of the 8th and the top of the ninth while I enjoyed a beverage. 

Losing the no hitter was a bummer, but the beer still tastes good, and I was happy to have a reason to actually tune into the team. 

There may not be a lot of those reasons over the next couple years, but for the last decade we had a lot of times where a quick detour to catch some of the game was a good idea. There is always a good reason to grab a beer, but it's a lot better when the game you are watching actually has some stakes, and that in itself is worth a lot, even if the result is not what you hoped to see. 

How many times are we going to discuss this in the next 10 years do you think?  It was a great decade of baseball that was not topped off with the WS win.  It does suck in that regard, but it was still a great era of baseball in Detroit.  Time to get started on the next great era.  

i was going to take my little radio on the golf course but i forgot i stuck it in the compartment and we were late for our tee-time. looked it up when my friend could finally get cell reception, and the headline said it all.

i'm more pissed i couldn't put worth **** yesterday. was 1-under through 13 with a handful of putts i didn't even give a chance. when you chunk 2 of your first 4 putts you start to question yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

How many times are we going to discuss this in the next 10 years do you think?  It was a great decade of baseball that was not topped off with the WS win.  It does suck in that regard, but it was still a great era of baseball in Detroit.  Time to get started on the next great era.  

that's 3652 days, so it'll probably come up more than once.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I rarely think about 2006 or 2012 or 2013 and when I do it isn't with angst or disappointment.

2003 hurt like **** and have no desire to revisit it.  I'd take making the World Series but losing every time.

2006 was one of my favorite years in my 50 years as a fan.  I also have mostly positive thoughts about 2012-2013 although neither year stands out as an all-time favorite (partly because of my age).  

No question the lack of a WS title from the recent era of success stings. But a few things make me feel a bit better about it.:

1. All the MVPs, Cy Youngs, no-hitters, etc. make me feel better than worse about 2006-2016. As others have said, it was highly entertaining.

2. Hard for me to feel the Tigers were robbed of a WS title or that the lack of one is unjust given how not once in that span did they have the best regular season record in MLB or even in the AL. 4th overall in 2006, 5th in 2011 (3rd in AL), T-11 in 2012 (T-6 in AL), 6th in 2013 (3rd in AL including 4 games behind Boston), and 5th in 2014 (3rd in AL). Having the best record in MLB in 1987 but not even making the World Series was worst.

3. I do value American League pennants. The Tigers won 2 in this span. Cubs fans hadn't seen their team in a World Series since 1945. Leafs fans haven't seen their team in a Stanley Cup Final since 1967. Lions fans .... With 11 AL pennants in their history versus 4 World Series titles, the Tigers rank quite highly in MLB history as pennant winners. Do need to prop up the WS title total though.

4. The Tigers weren't THAT close to winning a World Series. Lost in 5 in 2006, swept in 2012, even if one assumes that an Ortiz out would have led to another pennant, they'd still have been a full series away from winning it all. Red Wings had 2 cracks in 2009. The Pistons were a minute away from a title in 1988 and a quarter + away from a title in 2005. The Tigers lost a 1-run game at home for the '72 AL pennant and had the winning run at the plate in the bottom of the 9th. The Tigers were 9 outs away from a Game 7 WS win in 1940.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We are revisiting it right now.  Hopefully the Candyman keeps sweetening away the sour taste a little bit 

Oddly enough I still hear people talking about the Tigers.  In the elevator this morning I heard two guys talking about Boyd and Norris.  One guy said he was there yesterday.  I see people watching hte games at night when I walk my dog or drive through my neighborhood.  I see social media posts about it.

Friday night is my final game and for fifth time in recent memory I will leave the game knowing for certain I won't be back for any playoff games.  (2007, 2008, 2010, and 2015 the other years).  That means in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 I left the final home game with assurances or decent expectations there would be playoff baseball.  That's damn good comparing to what we went through in the 90's through 2005.  The stadium is nicer, cleaner, and a much better experience over all.  

I'm renewing my tickets for sure.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Oddly enough I still hear people talking about the Tigers.  In the elevator this morning I heard two guys talking about Boyd and Norris.  One guy said he was there yesterday.  I see people watching hte games at night when I walk my dog or drive through my neighborhood.  I see social media posts about it.

Friday night is my final game and for fifth time in recent memory I will leave the game knowing for certain I won't be back for any playoff games.  (2007, 2008, 2010, and 2015 the other years).  That means in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 I left the final home game with assurances or decent expectations there would be playoff baseball.  That's damn good comparing to what we went through in the 90's through 2005.  The stadium is nicer, cleaner, and a much better experience over all.  

I'm renewing my tickets for sure.

Awesome! 👍

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

We are revisiting it right now.  Hopefully the Candyman keeps sweetening away the sour taste a little bit 

He gives one hope that we may have a core piece. 

Now build up the middle and get us 3-5 aces and a bullpen.

2006 was absolutely magical....I loved 1984, and 1987 was cool, but 2006 was beyond belief.

I can reel off a bunch of memories from 2006:

- Leyland chewing them out after the home loss that dropped them to 7-6 or something like that (loved it)

- the month of Shelton (the only one, as it turned out)

- going to my first home game of the season on a whim with my kids straight from church downtown, seeing them beat Minn. behind the Gambler with an HR bomb by Thames (totally loved it);

- going to my second home game and seeing JV duel Kazmir leading to an extra-inning win in 13 on a base hit by Grandy that nearly killed Wigginton (the lights also went off in the 8th inning - unforgettable);

- seeing them beat the Cardinals on June 25th, including an incredible play by Inge at 3b that at least until recently you could still find on MLB (so much fun);

- Craig Monroe hitting a Grand Slam against the White Sox which I heard while I was cutting/installing new soffit on the front of my house, almost accidentally cut myself in half with the saw when it happened (a magic and nearly tragic moment);

- CMo hitting the game winner in NY, heard that heading into the movies with my wife for our 8th anny (another magic moment);

- Pudge's HR against Carmona in early August to make them 76-36 (off the charts);

- Bonderman's meltdown a few days later in Minny (suddenly, that feeling of vulnerability)

- clinching the playoffs in KC (a moment of relief in the 19-31 slide)

- losing the division title at home when Rogers walked in the game-winner in extras - heard that in the parking garage at my fall conference (aaarrrrrrggghhh!!)

- I hosted a Tigers-themed birthday party for my sons who were both born in October (1999 and 2000)....it was a ridiculous amount of fun planning it and setting it up

- Beating the Yankees (oddly, I don't have strong memories of individual games, other than K-Rod striking out)

- Alexis Gomez's HR in Oakland (that was cool);

- of course, Maggs (the highlight of the last 30 years of Tigers baseball, at least since Gibby's clincher in 1984)

- the pitching defense against STL (blech)

- Weaver of all people shutting us down in the clincher (WTF)

- Inge striking out against Wainwright (welp)

2006 was amazing because it was the first time the Tigers were good in my adult life -- at age 36!  The fact that I had two boys to enjoy it with me made it so much better.

11 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

2006 was absolutely magical....I loved 1984, and 1987 was cool, but 2006 was beyond belief.

I can reel off a bunch of memories from 2006:

- Leyland chewing them out after the home loss that dropped them to 7-6 or something like that (loved it)

- the month of Shelton (the only one, as it turned out)

- going to my first home game of the season on a whim with my kids straight from church downtown, seeing them beat Minn. behind the Gambler with an HR bomb by Thames (totally loved it);

- going to my second home game and seeing JV duel Kazmir leading to an extra-inning win in 13 on a base hit by Grandy that nearly killed Wigginton (the lights also went off in the 8th inning - unforgettable);

- seeing them beat the Cardinals on June 25th, including an incredible play by Inge at 3b that at least until recently you could still find on MLB (so much fun);

- Craig Monroe hitting a Grand Slam against the White Sox which I heard while I was cutting/installing new soffit on the front of my house, almost accidentally cut myself in half with the saw when it happened (a magic and nearly tragic moment);

- CMo hitting the game winner in NY, heard that heading into the movies with my wife for our 8th anny (another magic moment);

- Pudge's HR against Carmona in early August to make them 76-36 (off the charts);

- Bonderman's meltdown a few days later in Minny (suddenly, that feeling of vulnerability)

- clinching the playoffs in KC (a moment of relief in the 19-31 slide)

- losing the division title at home when Rogers walked in the game-winner in extras - heard that in the parking garage at my fall conference (aaarrrrrrggghhh!!)

- I hosted a Tigers-themed birthday party for my sons who were both born in October (1999 and 2000)....it was a ridiculous amount of fun planning it and setting it up

- Beating the Yankees (oddly, I don't have strong memories of individual games, other than K-Rod striking out)

- Alexis Gomez's HR in Oakland (that was cool);

- of course, Maggs (the highlight of the last 30 years of Tigers baseball, at least since Gibby's clincher in 1984)

- the pitching defense against STL (blech)

- Weaver of all people shutting us down in the clincher (WTF)

- Inge striking out against Wainwright (welp)

Forgot all about that one.  Holy snikes!

2006 was amazing because it was the first time the Tigers were good in my adult life -- at age 36!  The fact that I had two boys to enjoy it with me made it so much better.
Our daughter was born in May 2006. Up until a few months ago, I believed she had been sent from the heavens to be the Tigers' good luck charm.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk