THECATMAC

Ausmus has lost this team.......losing 17-7 today..

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He had a 200 million dollar payroll of players, including 4 Cy Young pitchers.

Awesome should have told his pitchers to win more Cy Young Awards.  

1 hour ago, TJ_TJ said:

Brad would become a wizard too if he signed with a team with an infinite payroll.

He has managed one of the top payrolls in baseball for the past three seasons. Money doesn't mean anything if the team isn't built right. I so hope this organization is sobering up to this fact, I believe they are.

Ausmus got swept 3-0 in the 1st round of the playoffs with Verlander, Scherzer, Price as the starters in his first season (2014).  It's been all downhill from there...never should have been hired to manage a veteran team...never should have let Leyland get away, quite frankly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, azzurri said:

Ausmus got swept 3-0 in the 1st round of the playoffs with Verlander, Scherzer, Price as the starters in his first season (2014).  It's been all downhill from there...never should have been hired to manage a veteran team...never should have let Leyland get away, quite frankly.

Well, except for the fact that it was Leyland's decision to stop managing.

Is there a full moon in this thread or what?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

That's why I wrote "never should have let Leyland get away" and not "never should have fired Leyland", duh.  Leyland was under pressure (media, fans) after losing a tough series to the Red Sox...with a team that arguably was Detroit's best over the last decade.  The Tigers only half-heartedly tried to stop Leyland from quitting, surely they could have and if Mr I insisted Leyland return he likely would have.  

Ausmus has been a bad hire.  A good Manager i think would have made the playoffs last year, at minimum.

I have to express some admiration for a guy who can stick around this long while failing to win with a huge payroll and a win-now mandate.  Obviously he's liked by his bosses and at least some significant element of the player leadership.  I guess that says something for the captain of the scuttled ship.

8 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wish they had convinced Leyland to go upstairs while Francona was available. That was an opportunity that we missed big on. 

57 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Ausmus has been a bad hire.  A good Manager i think would have made the playoffs last year, at minimum.

I have to express some admiration for a guy who can stick around this long while failing to win with a huge payroll and a win-now mandate.  Obviously he's liked by his bosses and at least some significant element of the player leadership.  I guess that says something for the captain of the scuttled ship.

that's just revisionist history. managers don't matter near that much, unless it just happens to be a fluke year one way or another.

i could think of 10 things that cost us more than our manager last year.

8 hours ago, azzurri said:

That's why I wrote "never should have let Leyland get away" and not "never should have fired Leyland", duh.  Leyland was under pressure (media, fans) after losing a tough series to the Red Sox...with a team that arguably was Detroit's best over the last decade.  The Tigers only half-heartedly tried to stop Leyland from quitting, surely they could have and if Mr I insisted Leyland return he likely would have.  

Leyland retired because he was 103 at the time and was burned out.  We would have retired regardless.

56 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I wish they had convinced Leyland to go upstairs while Francona was available. That was an opportunity that we missed big on. 

The timing was off by just one season.

Just now, Casimir said:

The timing was off by just one season.

Yeah, and I know the organization didn't want to come off as being disrespectful to Leyland. I could see all kinds of megative press over something like that.

8 hours ago, azzurri said:

Well except for the fact that Leyland decided he was done.  Usually that type of contract is a two way street.  The team has to want that manager to manage.  And that manager has to want to manage.  So, yes, Leyland was never fired.  But he wasn't coming back to manage.  He did stay with the organization in a different capacity.  I don't consider that letting Leyland get away.

How do you know there was only a half-hearted attempt to retain him as manager?  Leyland talked to Dombrowski and Ilitch sometime in August about his decision and they kept it under wraps until the postseason when Leyland announced he was done.  There was plenty of time for them to have had discussions about it and I would assume that they probably did considering they were trying to "win now".

Just now, 1776 said:

Yeah, and I know the organization didn't want to come off as being disrespectful to Leyland. I could see all kinds of megative press over something like that.

Oh, sure, no question about that.

57 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

that's just revisionist history. managers don't matter near that much, unless it just happens to be a fluke year one way or another.

A top 10 list of why the $200 million payroll team didn't win and it wouldn't include Brad? I would like to hear it.

Managers don't matter? Wow. Teams must hire and fire managers just for fun then. Because every team has been through dozens of managers. Or.... you're wrong? That would be my guess.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A top 10 list of why the $200 million payroll team didn't win and it wouldn't include Brad? I would like to hear it.

Managers don't matter? Wow. Teams must hire and fire managers just for fun then. Because every team has been through dozens of managers. Or.... you're wrong? That would be my guess.

This isn't a very nice post. 

Think about this, though. If a manager was able to affect a team substantially, don't you think they would be paid more?

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Last year was close enough where it is fair to speculate that a different manager could have gotten them to the playoffs.  I do agree though that there were more important things than the manager than prevented them from getting there.  It is so hard to evaluate managers because there is likely so much going on behind the scenes that we don't see.  

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would guess that he is right.  I don't think managers have the influence in baseball that coaches in more team oriented sports do.  Plus, I don't even think Ausmus has been much different from other managers the last couple of years.  The first year and a half, he seemed to be leaving pitchers in abnormally long.  Since then it seems he has managed similarly to other managers. That includes Leyland who was torn to shreds in here his last few years.  

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

The 2 aspects of managing - game management/strategy & team atmosphere.

Which is more important?

I think the behind the scenes stuff is probably more important.  I don't think game management/ strategy is that important in baseball, but I know that is where I disagree with many here.    

35 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This isn't a very nice post. 

Think about this, though. If a manager was able to affect a team substantially, don't you think they would be paid more?

Brad cost the Tigers 9 games last season. I won't tell you which ones though, it's my secret.

Throwing out statements like that just begs the question, name them. If a fan says there are 10 reasons other than Brad why this team lost, the obvious question is what are the 10 reasons?