Lifeguard

For Brian and Huey.

17 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

You have been here since 2002? O.o

I remember when you joined!

Yes - I too used the Internet when it first came online as well as BBS's before that and time sharing before that.

:alien:

yeah, 15 years is a long time!

21 minutes ago, Casimir said:

1992?  Wow.  I remember you from the little bit of time that I used the AOL message board, but don't recall when that was.  I used the alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers for quite a while, but I want to say that was around late 90s early 00s.

I just used it a little bit.  Then I got a real job which didn't have any internet and I forgot about it for a few years until I bought a computer (1995?) and got back on.  I remember you from AOL.  

I always used the ESPN message boards until they started to get completely littered with trolls around 08 or 09 so I moved onto mlive and they were just idiots.   Thankfully somebody on there suggested this place. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I always used the ESPN message boards until they started to get completely littered with trolls around 08 or 09 so I moved onto mlive and they were just idiots.   Thankfully somebody on there suggested this place. 

Was that the time they time updated to the new "robust" boards? I remember everybody hated them and started looking for a new place. I told people they should come here but sombedy just created their own forum and most of the posters migrated over there.

Just now, TigerNation said:

Was that the time they time updated to the new "robust" boards? I remember everybody hated them and started looking for a new place. I told people they should come here but sombedy just created their own forum and most of the posters migrated over there.

It was a little before then,  I believe that happened around 2012 or something like that cause I still used the golf boards there until they did that. 

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

1992?  Wow.  I remember you from the little bit of time that I used the AOL message board, but don't recall when that was.  I used the alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers for quite a while, but I want to say that was around late 90s early 00s.

That fits in with my memories of that time - probably from 2001ish to about 2005 when faster broadband arrived in this part of the world and my dial up modem (which usenet was perfect for) got chucked away.

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I used that back around 1992.  The internet was very rudimentary back then, but the idea of communicating with Tigers fans from all over the place seemed like the greatest thing ever.  The internet has gone from being the greatest thing ever to being an annoying creepy place filled with pop up ads, dummies and trolls.  

I blame Bigglesworth.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have been part of this board since 1976.  Man, we were all so crazy over The Bird but were merciless on Tom Veryzer and Gary Sutherland.  

I remember when you joined us.  You were part of the spirited debate over who would be the next Al Kaline:  Danny Meyer or Leon Roberts?

I remember I originally signed up under the moniker "CecilTettleton" after two of my favorite Tigers growing up.  But once I started lurking I saw "Cecil" on here I didn't want there to be any confusion so I changed my name to my then favorite cartoon character. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember I originally signed up under the moniker "CecilTettleton" after two of my favorite Tigers growing up.  But once I started lurking I saw "Cecil" on here I didn't want there to be any confusion so I changed my name to my then favorite cartoon character. 

Cecil changed his name too.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Cecil changed his name too.  

Didn't people think he was MotownBombers?   I thought they posted similarly at first but Bombers is far more reasonable than Cecil was,  in Cecil eyes Leyland could do no wrong no matter what.  **** he tried arguing against the board when Leyland put Delmon 3rd ahead of Cabrera, Vmart and a then all star Avila. 

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didn't people think he was MotownBombers?   I thought they posted similarly at first but Bombers is far more reasonable than Cecil was,  in Cecil eyes Leyland could do no wrong no matter what.  **** he tried arguing against the board when Leyland put Delmon 3rd ahead of Cabrera, Vmart and a then all star Avila. 

scooby-doo.jpg=s1200x1200

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I used that back around 1992.  The internet was very rudimentary back then, but the idea of communicating with Tigers fans from all over the place seemed like the greatest thing ever.  The internet has gone from being the greatest thing ever to being an annoying creepy place filled with pop up ads, dummies and trolls.  

Aint that the truth.  Luckily my dad has a brother who was all into the internet revolution back in the 90's because my dad kind of follows his lead on stuff.  So my dad went out and bought a big folding table to put in a spare room at the house and got one of those Best Buy specials with all the equipment and hooked it all up.  It was all new to me...I was about 15 or so I think.  The idea that I could communicate with that many people at once (in chat rooms and IM) was amazing.  I would have 20 of those little IM windows open with different people talking about different stuff for HOURS on end in the middle of the night.

Because I was in my teen years I was always looking to talk to girls my age.  Some of them were probably dudes, but I actually spoke to a few on the phone.  A whole new world opened up.  Hearing the eeeeee errrrrr of the modem kicking in when I opened up AOL was always cool.

I think it can get back to that again.  And I think one day it will when you people become more accountable for what they say and do online...when you have to kind of identify your real self before going online.  You will naturally get rid of the trolls and the really crazy people.  A lot of people dislike this idea, but to me it is when things will get interesting again.

6 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Aint that the truth.  Luckily my dad has a brother who was all into the internet revolution back in the 90's because my dad kind of follows his lead on stuff.  So my dad went out and bought a big folding table to put in a spare room at the house and got one of those Best Buy specials with all the equipment and hooked it all up.  It was all new to me...I was about 15 or so I think.  The idea that I could communicate with that many people at once (in chat rooms and IM) was amazing.  I would have 20 of those little IM windows open with different people talking about different stuff for HOURS on end in the middle of the night.

Because I was in my teen years I was always looking to talk to girls my age.  Some of them were probably dudes, but I actually spoke to a few on the phone.  A whole new world opened up.  Hearing the eeeeee errrrrr of the modem kicking in when I opened up AOL was always cool.

I think it can get back to that again.  And I think one day it will when you people become more accountable for what they say and do online...when you have to kind of identify your real self before going online.  You will naturally get rid of the trolls and the really crazy people.  A lot of people dislike this idea, but to me it is when things will get interesting again.

A/S/L?

• Like 2

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

A/S/L?

Lots of that yes.  I even exchanged pictures with a chick from Scotland through the mail.  It was not as easy to find pics, get them online and send them back then so we each took a couple pics we had and mailed them to each other!  lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Lots of that yes.  I even exchanged pictures with a chick from Scotland through the mail.  It was not as easy to find pics, get them online and send them back then so we each took a couple pics we had and mailed them to each other!  lol

hahah that's gonna be the best thing i read all day.

• Like 1

I started with the Freep back in the mid-90's, until they jettisoned it and most of us moved over to World Crossing, where I stayed until it's demise.  In those days, Motown Sports were the enemy.  Much like Republicans v Democrats, or Marvel v DC Comics, or Chevy v Ford or those who like Dave Rucker v those who don't like ice cream.