Lifeguard

For Brian and Huey.

Shelton, you're right-world crossing was one of them. Thanks. That one was a little bit interesting at times.

MotownWebGuy (MWG) used to be TWG which I assume was TigersWebGuy.

I think it may have been the official Tigers.com board as I believe C.J. Nitkowski made the first post.

I remember when mlb.com was a law firm and had nothing to do with Major League Baseball. I always wondered if those guys made a killing when they sold the domain name to MLB.

:alien:

1 hour ago, The Ronz said:

I remember Cult of Pena too!

Off topic but does anyone know how long this site has been around?

I'm guessing 15 - 20 years?

It went live in December of 99 as the official Detroit Tigers messageboard. I joined in January 2000.

• Like 1

1) Used to be The Detroit Tigers official Site.

Cybernet (later to be known as ACS Sports) ran the Tigers official site from the day it was originally launched (sometime in 1996 or 1997) until May of 2000. MWG joined Cybernet (ACS) in July of 1999 and ran the Tigers site until May 2000. The first official message board on the Tigers site was launched on December 2, 1999.

2) Changed over to MotownSports.com, run by ACS.

After the Tigers switched Internet companies (to Ignite Sports), ACS relaunched their Tigers website under a new name and domain (MotownSports.com). For a short period of time that May, our site could be found at detroittigers.com as well as motownsports.com. Ignite and the Tigers were pissed!

3) ACS either went under or abandoned this part of their business and we lost that site. The majority of our messages were on this site.

ACS laid off most of their employees in September of 2000. They continued to run most of their sites on limited staff until September of 2001. In March of 2001 the owners of ACS, MWG and one other employee attempted to spin the company off in a new direction, but the money wasn't there and the owners finally pulled the plug in September.

However, MWG now owns the domain motownsports.com (and .net) along with motowntigers.com, motownlions.com, motownpistons.com, motownredwings.com, and several other variations of motown and sports.

4) Had a temp. home at motownsports.net.

When ACS pulled the plug unexpectdly, motownsports.net was the only domain that MWG owned himself that could be quickly used to try and keep the community together. ACS held the rights to motownsports.com until April 2002, when they let it expire and MWG was able to grab it back.

5) Went to a new place.

On November 22, 2001, MWG relaunched the site as MotownTigers.com and used a company called HostRocket(.com) for  hosting services.

6) Got kicked out of there.

On the date that Phil Garner was fired in April of 2002, we exceeded the amount of simultaneous database connections that our hosting company allowed (20). They suspended our account and tried to force MWG to upgrade to a dedicated server. 

7) Went to motownsports.net again.

We had to revert back to our temporary message board found at MotownSports.net while MWG moved the motowntigers.com website to a new web host. This lasted less than a week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

@MotownWebGuy could probably clarify the history of this board. 

I believe this was originally the official Tigers.com board. But I'm not sure. 

I joined back when the pudge rumors started flying around. There was another forum that I lurked on (world crossing maybe?).

Are you TigersFan76?

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Are you TigersFan76?

Damn, I gave myself away. 

No, my first name on the forum was Bobby!!!. I created the Shelton alter-ego during one of Pena's many slumps while Shelton was tearing up Toledo. Then MWG busted me for having more than one account, and he switched my original name to Shelton. 

But I will never forget tigersfan76/tramfan, because I remember how he was everywhere back when I joined. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

. I created the Shelton alter-ego during one of Pena's many slumps while Shelton was tearing up Toledo. Then MWG busted me for having more than one account, and he switched my original name to Shelton. 

But I will never forget tigersfan76/tramfan, because I remember how he was everywhere back when I joined. 

I remember you pretending to be Shelton.

When tigersfan76 left here, he went to world crossing.  After he was there for a while, somebody created a fake tigersfan76 where he kept a diary of everything he was doing and thinking all day long.  It was pretty funny   

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I remember you pretending to be Shelton.

When tigersfan76 left here, he went to world crossing.  After he was there for a while, somebody created a fake tigersfan76 where he kept a diary of everything he was doing and thinking all day long.  It was pretty funny   

I think my posts as "Shelton" ended up wiped away.  My first post was "Call me up! Pena sucks!" Or something to that effect. 

Thanks for the history lesson Biff!  :)

I remember the crash and I remember being on the site when Randy Smith was the GM so I'm guessing I have been here about 17 years or so myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Thanks for the history lesson Biff!  :)

I remember the crash and I remember being on the site when Randy Smith was the GM so I'm guessing I have been here about 17 years or so myself.

Did you join during the WXYT Tigers word of the day period?

5 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers

That was proper.

e2a: corrected the group name

Egads....  Is it still around?

38 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Did you join during the WXYT Tigers word of the day period?

I don't remember that so I can't really say either way.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Egads....  Is it still around?

I used that back around 1992.  The internet was very rudimentary back then, but the idea of communicating with Tigers fans from all over the place seemed like the greatest thing ever.  The internet has gone from being the greatest thing ever to being an annoying creepy place filled with pop up ads, dummies and trolls.  

• Like 2

Just now, tiger337 said:

I used that back around 1992.  The internet was very rudimentary back then, but the idea of communicating with Tigers fans from all over the place seemed like the greatest thing ever.  The internet has gone from being the greatest thing ever to being an annoying creepy place filled with pop up ads, dummies and trolls.  

1992?  Wow.  I remember you from the little bit of time that I used the AOL message board, but don't recall when that was.  I used the alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers for quite a while, but I want to say that was around late 90s early 00s.

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You have been here since 2002? O.o

I remember when you joined!

Yes - I too used the Internet when it first came online as well as BBS's before that and time sharing before that.