Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keepleyland2

2018 Schedule

22 posts in this topic

Hey look we end the year on the road in an NL park again, third time in five years.

(and yeah for opening against pittsburgh means no DET broadcast for me!)

A home opener in March against an NL team.  2018 sucks!

But a 4-game series in Seattle in May on a Canadian long weekend. 2018 is redeemed!

It'll be interesting to see the ticket demands or lack there of for next year.  Even though we've had a couple down years since 2006 this will be the first one since probably 05 where people knew going into the season that there was no way they were competing. 

43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

A home opener in March against an NL team.  2018 sucks!

The Tigers begin the season with a NL opponent and end the regular season with a NL opponent. For the record, again, interleague play sucks!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

The Tigers begin the season with a NL opponent and end the regular season with a NL opponent. For the record, again, interleague play sucks!

I'm fine with interleague, but I don't understand why we keep getting screwed at the end of the year (though I doubt we'll be in a playoff hunt in September next year)

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'm fine with interleague, but I don't understand why we keep getting screwed at the end of the year (though I doubt we'll be in a playoff hunt in September next year)

How do you say we're getting screwed at the end of the year but you're OK with interleague play?

This will be a short night btw.

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

How is playing the inferior league at the end of the year getting screwed?

Inter-league play does suck though.  The novelty wore off a long time ago.  

When full season interleague was introduced, there was a common criticism that it was unfair to an AL team in the race to play their final three games without the DH. As if the earlier games of other contenders played without the DH didn't count. 

It never made sense to me. 

It is interesting the Tigers have had more than one season end that way. There was the Marlins series where we were no hit. And there was last year's braves series. Maybe there were others, but still. 

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

When full season interleague was introduced, there was a common criticism that it was unfair to an AL team in the race to play their final three games without the DH. As if the earlier games of other contenders played without the DH didn't count. 

It is interesting the Tigers have had more than one season end that way. There was the Marlins series where we were no hit. And there was last year's braves series. Maybe there were others, but still. 

I was trying to remember what the argument was, as best I can tell it was that the DH on a playoff team would be in theory sitting for a while before the first playoff game.

Interleague play would be cooler if they used NL rules in AL parks.

Even then it would still be lame, and they should do away with it.

I don't mind interleague play at all, I think it breaks up the monotony of playing the same teams over and over  but then again I think I was only 15 or 16 when they started interleague play so I was too young to really get attached to the old way. 

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

How is playing the inferior league at the end of the year getting screwed?

Inter-league play does suck though.  The novelty wore off a long time ago.  

Theoretically, an AL team in the playoff hunt at the end of the year is going to be without one of their better hitters. 

(But I know your argument that when you play the game doesn't matter and a game in April is the same as one in September.)

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

How do you say we're getting screwed at the end of the year but you're OK with interleague play?

This will be a short night btw.

Fine with interleague. Understand that someone has to end the year against the NL. But, how does an sole AL team -- One that could theoretically be pushing for the playoffs, therefore without one of their better hitters because of no DH -- keep getting the assignment. 

If it was just one year, OK it sucks but it is that. But now this is three years,nearly in a row, where we ended in Fla., Atl and soon to be Mil. What about someone else's turn? 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

It's the idea that you know exactly what's in front of you. Yes the games all count the same. But, at the end of the year they can take on heightened meaning. That is why you see starters going on short rest if a team is pushing for the playoffs. Same concept. 

An AL team without the DH is in the same boat. They might know they have to make up one with three to play and now you are taking out a better hitter on the team. One they played with 140 other games.  

And in theory every AL team should end the year in an NL park once every 30 years (15 NL parks, plus years when the NL team ends in an AL park for another 15). But, somehow we get it 60 percent of the time. 

Just going one way or the other with the DH seems to be the easy fix.  The DH is almost universally used in professional leagues, just go with it and move along with life.  Personally, I prefer no DH, but let's just get all of the teams playing by the same rules.

I was checking out a few things about 2018's schedule and noticed that the Tigers have 19 games against all 4 divisional foes rather than 19 with 2 and 18 with the other 2.  That imbalance never made sense to me.  There is still an imbalance of 6 or 7 games against other AL teams.  Maybe I'm being too OCD or whatever, but it seems like they should be playing a uniform number of games against those teams, either 6 or 7.  And then fill out the rest of the 162 game schedule with interleague games.

They should have year round baseball where during the year certain teams will 'track out.'

If we go just by the record, Tiger fans should be thrilled with interleague play. Since 2006, Tigers are 135-91 against the NL, good for a .597 winning percentage. That's how 97 win teams play, and that's across 12 seasons.

Then again, Tigers are only 8-12 in interleague this year, so I can see how the shine is wearing off.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

If we go just by the record, Tiger fans should be thrilled with interleague play. Since 2006, Tigers are 135-91 against the NL, good for a .597 winning percentage. That's how 97 win teams play, and that's across 12 seasons.

Then again, Tigers are only 8-12 in interleague this year, so I can see how the shine is wearing off.

The shine wore off because I don't like the schedule imbalances it creates or leagues with different rules playing against each other.  I also think it takes away from the mystique of the World Series.  

Maybe when they expand to 32 teams they can get rid of it. 

Or, better yet, send the Brewers back to the AL or the Astros back to the NL, and go to a no division structure with the top five teams making the playoffs, an eliminate interleague. 

The only times I have liked interleague play was when I lived in LA and Chicago and got to watch the tigers at dodger stadium instead of the big A and at wrigley instead of the cell.