Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Air Force vs #7 Michigan - 9/16/17

I thought today's play calling was more questionable than the actual execution by the offense. I don't know if it was a case of keeping it vanilla for future opponents or a lack of trust by the staff in Speight's ability, but it was very uninspiring. I'm hopeful it was the former, but fear it was the latter. Especially that red zone offense...yikes. I am still baffled by that draw on 3rd and goal from the 9 with AF bringing the entire defense. 

I will say that losing Isaac for significant time would be a bigger issue than mentioned above. I like Higdon and Evans, but they are just not as consistent between the tackles. I don't agree that the thought that the team wouldn't miss a beat with those two filling in for Isaac.

Also, more DPJ and less Crawford please. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Florida just beat a ranked team

florida is terrible.  so is tennessee.

theyre "ranked" because of name recognition.  nothing else.

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

florida is terrible.  so is tennessee.

theyre "ranked" because of name recognition.  nothing else.

Thanks for setting me straight! 

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont understand the play calling in this game.  air force is selling out and they havent run a screen or much play action at all.

they just keep running up the gut against 8 or 9 guys and getting stuffed.

I was at the game and had poor connectivity, or I would have posted the same thing.  The play-calling was all between the tackles.  Michigan had huge speed/quickness advantages, esp. at TE, and there were no crossing routes, or any packages to defeat the blitz.  The TD run at the end of the game was one of the rare running plays outside the tackles that I could remember.

Speight looked bad in all phases of the game, but I also think the play calling was way too conservative.  They should have spread the field more.

The defense also held the line with the exception of the one big TD throw....but they came without much energy today, were run all over tarnation by the AF offensive scheme and their prancing QB.  

In the second half, Michigan's size/athletic advantage should have emerged.  Instead, AF's offense was still clicking, and Michigan's DL and LB core looked gassed in the 4th Quarter.  

Thanks to a blown FG by AF and a a 4/10 end-run TD by Michigan that it wasn't a nailbiter or loss.

I wasn't impressed by any phase of Michigan's game today....at all.

Hopefully, JH is "hiding the ball" playcalling wise and trying to physically discipline his team with conservative play calling....with a very young offense I wonder if they can suddenly unwrap a good offense against B10 oppo, especially with Speight generally looking lost, and misfiring badly in the red zone.

7 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The defense also held the line with the exception of the one big TD throw....but they came without much energy today, were run all over tarnation by the AF offensive scheme and their prancing QB.  

In the second half, Michigan's size/athletic advantage should have emerged.  Instead, AF's offense was still clicking, and Michigan's DL and LB core looked gassed in the 4th Quarter.  

Thanks to a blown FG by AF and a a 4/10 end-run TD by Michigan that it wasn't a nailbiter or loss.

Hopefully, JH is "hiding the ball" playcalling wise and trying to physically discipline his team with conservative play calling....with a very young offense I wonder if they can suddenly unwrap a good offense against B10 oppo, especially with Speight generally looking lost, and misfiring badly in the red zone.

careful now, that sounds like criticism of michigan.  mickey wont let that slide.

also, rumors are that tarik black hurt his ankle and will be out a while.

but yeah, i agree that they kept the playbook in their pocket.  michigan's tight ends are their best offensive weapons and we barely saw them against cincy and air force.  i expect them to feature pretty heavily in conference play.

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

careful now, that sounds like criticism of michigan.  mickey wont let that slide.

but yeah, i agree that they kept the playbook in their pocket.  michigan's tight ends are their best offensive weapons and we barely saw them against cincy and air force.  i expect them to feature pretty heavily in conference play.

I hope so...they are big/fast dudes with great hands.

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

i thought i saw michigan limited air force to their lowest offensive performance? yeah here it is, poorest in 5 years.

tough offense to play against, have to be ultra disciplined.

21 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i thought i saw michigan limited air force to their lowest offensive performance? yeah here it is, poorest in 5 years.

tough offense to play against, have to be ultra disciplined.

But that's not fitting the narrative.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Being critical is fine, but the way many Michigan fans are acting one would think the team was falling apart.

Per future Michigan QB Joe Milton, Black broke a bone in his foot.  Hurts, but DPJ should step right in.

Harbaugh is showing just enough to win.  The TE group he has is too good to keep out of the scheme any longer IMO.

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

AF ran the ball 49 times for 164 yards.  I know watching triple-option/wing-t offenses is frustrating, but the defense really did a great job.  Stopping 49 run plays will gas just about any defense.  I did notice Mone wasn't in much later on in the game.

Isaac had a TD called back and another play where he stepped out of bounds with nothing but green in front of him.  This also kept the game a little closer than it had to be.  The draw play where the entire AF team crashed on 4th and goal reminded me of the Outback Bowl a few years ago.  That play happened about 40 yards from me, and I felt the same way watching the ridiculous draw call yesterday.

clowney2-1-1-13.gif

Play calling yesterday was bad enough where Harbaugh was lucky enough he didn't get more starters hurt.