Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Air Force vs #7 Michigan - 9/16/17

i think michigan came into this preseason determined not to show anything on offense.  thry were totally vanilla today.  speight didnt have much to do and when he had to make a play he didnt (or his receivers let him down).

im sure they figured they could beat air force with defense and didnt need to do anything special or show anything.

regardless, they have some issues to work out.

isaac going out is a bummer, i guess.  but michigan has tons of backs and isaac is just a body, imo.  good speed if no one is around him but he's slow to make decisions and goes down real easy.

id rather see higdon.

Does Matt Millen actually have any credibility? He may know the fundamentals of football but does anyone think he's an expert on players? We all know his evaluations of players is extremely poor. 0 and 16, Matt.

Will be interesting to see how Florida does tonight. If they get smoked by Tennessee, could be further sign of rocky days ahead for Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AF was blatantly holding on that long run they had to take them down the field to set them up for what ended up being a missed field goal. I know you can say that on every play, but the AF lineman very clearly had a hunk of jersey. Of course neither of the announcers picked it up. That doesn't make the performance any better, but that was a gash against the D they shouldn't have had. 

Speight looks terrible. The receivers aren't any better. I had just put Stephen Threet out of my memory before his name was mentioned here again...But Speight is starting to look like him- very, very unsure of himself.

I am actually not going to be surprised if we lose against purdue. This offense is no where close to Big 10 ready.  

--This was a tough game to watch if you wanted to see improvement on offense.  Harbaugh wasn't going to show any more than he had to today, and he didn't.

--The right side of the OL is 2008-level bad.  It's like Harbaugh is punishing the offense for lack of execution by continuing to run on passing downs.

--The TE are barely getting used, and that's a crime.

--McDoom is this year's Peppers on offense.  All the defense has to do is figure out which four plays Michigan is running when he's in the game.

--Isaac and Higdon look good in spite of the OL.  Isaac had a lot of yards taken away today between the stupid Crawford illegal block and the step out of bounds.  I would like to see Isaac lower his shoulder in one-on-one situations between the hash marks, but I'll take what his giving right now.  Hope he's not hurt for more than a week.  When will Harbaugh admit Walker is hurt?

--Crawford with a bad drop on the heels of the illegal block on Isaac's run were backbreaking for the struggling offense.  It's like Harbaugh is saving DPJ for B1G play, and I hope that's the case.  No more featuring Crawford, please.

--Defense did a nice job today against an offense that can be frustrating to play against. 

--The punter is going to cost Michigan a game unless he is replaced.  He is one of the worst I've seen in a Michigan uniform since 1980.

--Saying Speight is the problem doesn't cut it in this one.  The ill-advised lofted pass on the run near the goal line was terrible, and he should have had another one picked, but the gameplan kept a tight leash on him.

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Will be interesting to see how Florida does tonight. If they get smoked by Tennessee, could be further sign of rocky days ahead for Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Who are you really afraid of?  

27 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Who are you really afraid of?  

purdue, maryland, penn state, ohio state, and wisconsin.

of all the qbs on the roster, speight is the only one who makes sense to play with this team.  all of the skill players are really young.  you need a qb who can put everyone in the right plave and call the right play.  thats speight.

he's just not very dynamic right now.  hopefully he goes full rudock and turns into a good qb in the second half of the season.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It was more fun for me when we were talking about Jay Feely.

I Feely ya. 

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you think theyre going undefeated?

No, but I am definitely not afraid of playing Maryland, Wisconsin or Purdue.  PSU will be interesting if the defense has a bad day or are down a couple starters.  Ohio State will be a street fight.  Michigan State is a rivalry game and could also be a street fight.

Overall, the defense is too strong to be afraid of any one team.  Sure, there will be challenges--but why be scared to lose?

10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

No, but I am definitely not afraid of playing Maryland, Wisconsin or Purdue.  PSU will be interesting if the defense has a bad day or are down a couple starters.  Ohio State will be a street fight.  Michigan State is a rivalry game and could also be a street fight.

Overall, the defense is too strong to be afraid of any one team.  Sure, there will be challenges--but why be scared to lose?

the defense has yet to play any team that can test its weakness: cornerback.  they will next week.  

what do you mean, why be scared to lose?  its not like youre playing.  

31 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the defense has yet to play any team that can test its weakness: cornerback.  they will next week.  

what do you mean, why be scared to lose?  its not like youre playing.  

I'll take Michigan's highly-recruited secondary vs the across-the-board 3* talent Purdue is running out there at WR every time.

I don't think Harbaugh and company are scared of Purdue, and if they are, they have no business  being in AA.  Brees graduated a long time ago, and Plummer's kis isn't on campus yet.

I ran out of elg long ago.

Edit:  IRT Florida vs Tennessee, this is a pick 'em game.  Florida is at home, but Tennessee has a better HC.

37 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'll take Michigan's highly-recruited secondary vs the across-the-board 3* talent Purdue is running out there at WR every time.

I don't think Harbaugh and company are scared of Purdue, and if they are, they have no business  being in AA.  Brees graduated a long time ago, and Plummer's kis isn't on campus yet.

I ran out of elg long ago.

Edit:  IRT Florida vs Tennessee, this is a pick 'em game.  Florida is at home, but Tennessee has a better HC.

florida is a 5.5 point favorite.

im sure harbaugh isnt "scared" of any team.  so what?  theyre not going to win because harbaugh isnt scared.

purdue is a legit offensive team.  it will be interesting to see how michigan plays against them.  purdue went toe to toe with louisville and has blown out their next two opponents.  michigan beat florida and then scraped by against two bad teams.  it will be an interesting game.

i expect michigan to open the playbook next week.  that should help the offense.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

florida is a 5.5 point favorite.

im sure harbaugh isnt "scared" of any team.  so what?  theyre not going to win because harbaugh isnt scared.

purdue is a legit offensive team.  it will be interesting to see how michigan plays against them.  purdue went toe to toe with louisville and has blown out their next two opponents.  michigan beat florida and then scraped by against two bad teams.  it will be an interesting game.

Air Force is "bad"?  What is your definition of bad?  They aren't exciting to watch, but they execute.  They have fast guys and guys that hit hard--they just aren't big.   Most any team that doesn't turn past page-two of the playbook against them will probably be in for a football game.

When a "legit" offensive team with middling talent meets a "legit" defensive team with very good talent--I know where I lean.

i think harbaugh is somewhat okay grinding out wins relying on the defense and not turning the ball over. speight seemed to be throwing away from coverage today more so than throwing to receivers. i may be way off on that, didn't watch the game too closely today.

hopefully speight and the offense looks good when we end up needing him to. i'm starting to see some receivers we'll be able to unlock more...perry, black, jones, gentry, mckeon i think have shown flashes.

10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Air Force is "bad"?  What is your definition of bad?  They aren't exciting to watch, but they execute.  They have fast guys and guys that hit hard--they just aren't big.   Most any team that doesn't turn past page-two of the playbook against them will probably be in for a football game.

When a "legit" offensive team with middling talent meets a "legit" defensive team with very good talent--I know where I lean.

you just made fun of purdue's 3 * recruits at receiver and then you jock AIR FORCE?  lol.  ok mickey.

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you just made fun of purdue's 3 * recruits at receiver and then you jock AIR FORCE?  lol.  ok mickey.

I'm jocking AF?  Making fun of Purdue's 3* recruits?  Your reading comprehension is . . . interesting at times.

How many times over the past four decades has Purdue beaten Michigan when Michigan has been rated in the Top 10?  How many times has the game been within two scores when Michigan has been in the Top 10?  How many better defensive units have you seen at Michigan in that time--maybe three?  Four?

Has there been a time this year where you said, "I really miss Peppers out there"?

Purdue's offense is in for a rude awakening next week.  It would be nice if DPJ was unleashed as well, and if the TE got 6-10 targets.  That playbook comes open soon.

48 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i think harbaugh is somewhat okay grinding out wins relying on the defense and not turning the ball over. speight seemed to be throwing away from coverage today more so than throwing to receivers. i may be way off on that, didn't watch the game too closely today.

hopefully speight and the offense looks good when we end up needing him to. i'm starting to see some receivers we'll be able to unlock more...perry, black, jones, gentry, mckeon i think have shown flashes.

Agreed on all of this.

23 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm jocking AF?  Making fun of Purdue's 3* recruits?  Your reading comprehension is . . . interesting at times.

How many times over the past four decades has Purdue beaten Michigan when Michigan has been rated in the Top 10?  How many times has the game been within two scores when Michigan has been in the Top 10?  How many better defensive units have you seen at Michigan in that time--maybe three?  Four?

Has there been a time this year where you said, "I really miss Peppers out there"?

Purdue's offense is in for a rude awakening next week.  It would be nice if DPJ was unleashed as well, and if the TE got 6-10 targets.  That playbook comes open soon.

all im saying is purdue is a good team.  they took louisville to the wire.  and this is michigan's first time playing a tru road game in the other team's home stadium.  for a young team like this one, it will be a challenge.

i'd bet that purdue would beat florida.  florida sucks.

48 minutes ago, Buddha said:

all im saying is purdue is a good team.  they took louisville to the wire.  and this is michigan's first time playing a tru road game in the other team's home stadium.  for a young team like this one, it will be a challenge.

i'd bet that purdue would beat florida.  florida sucks.

Florida just beat a ranked team