Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casimir

09/12/2017 7:10pm Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians

94 posts in this topic

I wonder what this exact team that we are fielding right now would win over a 162 game season?  55 at best?  You figure we have 60 wins now but if we didn't have the contributions from JWill, Avila, Verlander, JD and Upton then that number would probably be atleast 10 less since not all the guys replacing them are even replacement level.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Verlander with 8 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 9 Ks and no runs.

Glad to see him with back to back good starts for Houston, but man is it a gut punch watching him dominate for someone else.

I love Verlander so I hope he pitches a bunch of 1-hitters with the Astros, scores a runner-up or two in Cy Young in future years, and wins an AL pennant with the Astros. Another no-hitter or a World Series clincher might be hard to watch though.

10 hours ago, 1776 said:

Trying to keep the remainder of this season in persective. Boyd deserves a lot of credit for getting out of the jam. A tiny step toward being a better pitcher I hope.

Yeah, I guess.  I would like for him to learn how to stay out of those jams.

9 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Candelario has a nice arm.

He's going to be a very solid player.

6 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Verlander with 8 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 9 Ks and no runs.

Glad to see him with back to back good starts for Houston, but man is it a gut punch watching him dominate for someone else.

Just wait for when he's pitching against the Tigers.

17 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Just wait for when he's pitching against the Tigers.

No matter the result, it'll hurt more than Scherzer's 20k game against us.

Verlander looked very good last night.  I'm fully on the Astros bandwagon.

Oh, Boyd did an ok job too. Maybe he'll put it all together for our pennant push in 2020

47 minutes ago, Turnbuckle said:

No matter the result, it'll hurt more than Scherzer's 20k game against us.

Verlander looked very good last night.  I'm fully on the Astros bandwagon.

Oh, Boyd did an ok job too. Maybe he'll put it all together for our pennant push in 2020

Scherzer leaving doesn't bother me much in retrospect.  Yes, it did at the time.  He wasn't homegrown like Verlander, but he certainly made his mark as a high level pitcher with the Tigers.  I know it was mentioned recently, but that whole extension & free agency deal was just so bizarre.  I do miss the Scherzer jersey with the lettering that was half brown and half blue.

I'm already over Verlander leaving. I don't think it will bother me seeing him carve up the tigers next year. I'll be rooting for one of those 6 inning 100 pitch efforts, though. 

1 person likes this

My daughter's teacher for this school year has eyes of two different colors. It's almost like having Max back.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Max was a bit of a douche.  I miss his performance, but not the guy.  JV is a completely different situation.

Really? I find myself missing Max quite a bit, felt he was less douchey than JV.

Compared to the average pro athlete, Scherzer and Verlander do not come across as douchey.  David Price is a douche.  I miss Scherzer and Verlander.  If they still had them, there would not have been a need for a re-build.  

I don't recall a time when Scherzer came off as douchey.  Is there an example?

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't recall a time when Scherzer came off as douchey.  Is there an example?

There is that time when he went to play for another team.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

There is that time when he went to play for another team.

If that's the measuring stick, fine.  But Verlander agreed to be traded, so....

As far as Scherzer's free agency, I don't think there is enough known about what happened n extension negotiations to render an opinion about who was right and who was wrong (if there is any blame to be assessed).

Not signing Scherzer is one of those great what ifs in Detroit sports history.  If memory serves me right, the first few months of the 2015 season the staff was basically all Price and nothing else.   I remember us having a near flawless record in Price's starts but sucking the other days.  If Scherzer was here that would have obviously changed, I could easily see him adding 4 games in the standings by the deadline just because of how horrible his replacements were.  In that case I don't see us selling which of course means no Fulmer. 

To go down the rabbit hole a little more, Cespedes was white hot after getting to the Mets as was David Price with the Jays.  Do both perform the same way if they stayed on a competing Tigers team?  If so, if you factor that in with a resurgent Verlander and of course Max and who knows what would've happened that season.   That could be the championship season that we never had.  

edit:  One more thing, with Scherzer in tow, I don't see the need to trade for Alfredo Simon so we'd still have Suarez in the system as well or at the very least hopefully traded him for somebody more useful than Simon.

If scherzer had been extended, I doubt we would have traded for price. 2015 may have been JV Max Sanchez Smyly Greene. 

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

If that's the measuring stick, fine.  But Verlander agreed to be traded, so....

Cas, I know where you're coming from but I actually believe JV did what was best for Detroit. He had reservations about leaving but heck, when they knock on your freakin' door in the evening with paperwork in hand wanting your signature, you pretty much have to accept the fact that they want you gone. 

Difficult thinking about the JV scenerio.