RedRamage

Who is the heir apparent for 2B?

36 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

They moved Lugo to 2b a few weeks ago. The plan right now seems to be for him to be the 2b of 2019 assuming that he hits enough. 

I think machado is more likely to be the shortstop of the near future, but he could be an option for 2b if Lugo doesn't pan out. 

If they keep Iglesias, then machado looks like a lock to be the 2018 2b. Iglesias will be a free agent after 2018, so machado could move to SS in 2019 if they let Iglesias go after keeping him for 2018. 

If they trade both Iglesias and Kinsler, then machado is shortstop, and they probably try to find some cheap stopgap or go with romine or something like that  in 2018  

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably Lugo, but not until late 2018 or 2019. 

Shelton nailed the probable and comprehensive answer here.

I think the only guy that's at least made it to A-ball that hasn't been mentioned is Anthony Pereira. He's a 2020 guy if everything goes perfect.

Couple guys below that like King and Perez, and others. Otherwise Simcox and Eaves could be injury or mid-season trade type fillers. Simcox is a SS so far tho.

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

If you discount Henning touting him, yes.   I don't see much coming from elsewhere about young Gibby.

Double frick. Young Gibby is definitely off my table then, simply by association.

12 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Double frick. Young Gibby is definitely off my table then, simply by association.

I think got Henning got it from Sportz.  They are good friends.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think got Henning got it from Sportz.  They are good friends.  

Henning has Manning as the Tigers #9 prospect, which seems like a cry for attention. And that was before Perez/Cameron/Rogers came on board. Probably outside his top 10 now.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Henning has Manning as the Tigers #9 prospect, which seems like a cry for attention.

Manning was disappointing when I saw him pitch... Of course, I know zero about scouting minor league pitchers and he was likely working on something that day.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Manning was disappointing when I saw him pitch... Of course, I know zero about scouting minor league pitchers and he was likely working on something that day.  

He's definitely working on things, like all minor leaguers should be.

I think the return for Kinsler will be pretty low this offseason.  I think I would roll the dice he might bounce back and try and trade him if he gets off to a good start after a month or two next season.  Still won't be great value because he is a short term solution for a contender but still would a good deal better than what we will get this offseason after a very down year at the plate for him.  

Seems like Lugo is being groomed as his replacement.  

Cam Gibson had a very nice bounceback season.  Solid power/speed combination if he can keep improving each level.  Won't be his dad, but could be a #4 guy.  Of course, he's an OF, so not really part of this conversation.

15 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

He had moved from a prospect to a non prospect, now this year back to being a kind of a prospect.   He's been in the Tiger's system forever.  I think he's a late bloomer.

Looking at Castro's numbers again, he did have a very nice 33 game stint in Erie this season.  It completely contradicts the rest of his minor league career.  Maybe he's made an adjustment in his hitting approach?  I don't know, its hard to believe that the .902 OPS in Erie continues as his new trend away from the rest of his minor league career (.663).