RedRamage

Who is the heir apparent for 2B?

36 posts in this topic

I'd give better than 50% chances that Kinsler is traded during the off season.  If he isn't, I'm guessing he'll be moved by the trade deadline in summer of '18 unless he's really stinking up the joint... in which case (given that the Tigers will be bad in '18 anyway) it's probably time to see what younger guys we have who are able to play...

But that's begs the question: Who??

I guess I always assumed that Machado was going to be the 2B of the future, but then I'm hearing all this stuff about Iggy being possibly traded as well.  Add in that Machado is hitting pretty nicely and seems to be able to field SS quite well too... Maybe he's not the future 2B... maybe he's the SS of 2018 (or 19).

Now, if Kinsler is moved and Iggy isn't, then I think it makes sense for Machado to play 2B, but I'm not sure that's what the Tigers are thinking long term.  I wonder if Lugo gets moved to 2B?  They already apparently had him playing 3B in double-a, but now with Candelario seemingly penciled in at 3B soon, maybe it makes sense to try Lugo at 2B?

The "heir" :) apparent doesn't exist, imo.  I don't think they perceive Machado long-term, and would probably prefer to hide his bat at SS.  Maybe Lugo, if he can hit at the higher levels (so-so at AA) and make the defensive adjustment, which should be easy.  It's hard to gauge his upside.

Both of those might be better deemed as stopgaps--we could use a long-term solution, for sure.  The draft might provide that for us, or any additional trades during the offseason.  It's the reason to hold on to Kinsler and let him improve his stock next season for a trade at the deadline.

They moved Lugo to 2b a few weeks ago. The plan right now seems to be for him to be the 2b of 2019 assuming that he hits enough. 

I think machado is more likely to be the shortstop of the near future, but he could be an option for 2b if Lugo doesn't pan out. 

If they keep Iglesias, then machado looks like a lock to be the 2018 2b. Iglesias will be a free agent after 2018, so machado could move to SS in 2019 if they let Iglesias go after keeping him for 2018. 

If they trade both Iglesias and Kinsler, then machado is shortstop, and they probably try to find some cheap stopgap or go with romine or something like that  in 2018  

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably Lugo, but not until late 2018 or 2019. 

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The "heir" :) apparent...

D'oh!  Stupid fingers... I edited it.

The hair apparent at one time was Will Rhymes, but it turns out he sucked.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The hair apparent at one time was Will Rhymes, but it turns out he sucked.

He was no Scott Sizemore.

They had this Infante kid in AAA Toledo this season.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

They moved Lugo to 2b a few weeks ago. The plan right now seems to be for him to be the 2b of 2019 assuming that he hits enough. 

I think machado is more likely to be the shortstop of the near future, but he could be an option for 2b if Lugo doesn't pan out. 

If they keep Iglesias, then machado looks like a lock to be the 2018 2b. Iglesias will be a free agent after 2018, so machado could move to SS in 2019 if they let Iglesias go after keeping him for 2018. 

If they trade both Iglesias and Kinsler, then machado is shortstop, and they probably try to find some cheap stopgap or go with romine or something like that  in 2018  

Anyway, the answer to your question is probably Lugo, but not until late 2018 or 2019. 

Yeah

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Castro

Who is Castro?

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Harold Castro?  Color me underwhelmed.

He had moved from a prospect to a non prospect, now this year back to being a kind of a prospect.   He's been in the Tiger's system forever.  I think he's a late bloomer.

27 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

He had moved from a prospect to a non prospect, now this year back to being a kind of a prospect.   He's been in the Tiger's system forever.  I think he's a late bloomer.

I'm a little curious what you see in him. 4% BB/9 and .065 ISO is worse than what Machado did at that level, and as far as I'm aware Castro is not near the same level as Dixon defensively. Based on that, you have to really squint to see Castro as anything above replacement level, and it's not difficult to not even see him reaching that.

22 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'm a little curious what you see in him. 4% BB/9 and .065 ISO is worse than what Machado did at that level, and as far as I'm aware Castro is not near the same level as Dixon defensively. Based on that, you have to really squint to see Castro as anything above replacement level, and it's not difficult to not even see him reaching that.

I'm rooting for him, but keep in mind I was one of the few that foresaw future stardom for Niuman Romero.

I guess you never know. At least he got his ops to the 680 level this year. He's still young enough that something could click. He probably starts next year in AA because Lugo will be at Toledo. But maybe they let Castro play 3b in Toledo if they want to see what he has with the bat in AAA. 

They may have a couple cast offs or stop gaps the next couple seasons but I'm still thinking either Lugo or a guy not in the system yet will be the eventual long term solution. 

If DUMBrowski didn't let Polanco go we'd probably have three championships by now. 

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm rooting for him, but keep in mind I was one of the few that foresaw future stardom for Niuman Romero.

you've inspired me to pick a sleeper. does cam gibson count?

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

You and Sportz would have something in common.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You and Sportz would have something in common.  

Edit: I change it to Spencer Turnbull as a reliever.

Short term:     Combo of Andrew Romine and Dixon Machado

Long term:  Deivi Cruz Jr.  

13 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

If you discount Henning touting him, yes.   I don't see much coming from elsewhere about young Gibby.