Sign in to follow this  
Joe Beagle

New prospect quality

My thinking is the push to stock up on infielders is a good thing.  Seems like it would be easier to fill in with OF via signings rather than the infielders. But gather as many IF prospects as you can through the draft, etc.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My thinking is the push to stock up on infielders is a good thing.  Seems like it would be easier to fill in with OF via signings rather than the infielders. But gather as many IF prospects as you can through the draft, etc.

This seems like a reasonable plan, although at this point I think they should still take the better available prospect.  If IF vs OF is used as a tiebreaker, go with the IF.

Could they convert an IF or two to the OF if need be?  I've always thought converting from IF to OF was always easier than OF to IF.  Obviously there are different skill sets involved, and if the skill set isn't there, a conversion isn't going to work.

I think there are more examples of INF becoming successful OF than the other way around.

That written, I think a big part of that is how many legit MLB INF prospects play OF in high school and/or college?  In other words, anyone good enough to make MLB as an infielder is playing infield when they are drafted or signed and just stay on the infield.  I doubt there are too many examples of guys who are signed with the thought they could convert to INF but are playing OF at the time they are signed.  Maybe a RF that becomes a 3B?

OTOH, I think I remember reading in Dollar Sign on the Muscle (an interesting read, BTW) that Garry Maddox played LF in high school (causing a scout to ask, who on his high school team was so good to push him out of CF, and why isn't that guy in the majors on his defense alone), Kenny Rogers played OF in high school, and Stan Musial was originally signed as a P.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think there are more examples of INF becoming successful OF than the other way around.

That written, I think a big part of that is how many legit MLB INF prospects play OF in high school and/or college?  In other words, anyone good enough to make MLB as an infielder is playing infield when they are drafted or signed and just stay on the infield.  I doubt there are too many examples of guys who are signed with the thought they could convert to INF but are playing OF at the time they are signed.  Maybe a RF that becomes a 3B?

OTOH, I think I remember reading in Dollar Sign on the Muscle (an interesting read, BTW) that Garry Maddox played LF in high school (causing a scout to ask, who on his high school team was so good to push him out of CF, and why isn't that guy in the majors on his defense alone), Kenny Rogers played OF in high school, and Stan Musial was originally signed as a P.

Good points.

Didn't Rogers play some SS as well in high school?  I thought I remember that story making the rounds during his tenure in Detroit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1UPqTelgc4mH5z9P2cVTZtsIFyg3yp201svc-yRwpx-zYHE0F

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

In Ball Four it was said that most guys pitched, played SS, and hit cleanup.

Yeah, the guys were sitting around the clubhouse during a rain delay BSing about high school.  Several had football or basketball scholarship offers to boot.

Jim said he hit 9th in high school because he was such a poor hitter.

Don Mincher had a line like if he had greenies in high school he would have set state records in everything.

I have it in my head that one of the Pilots was actually a utility player in high school.  Not sure how he got signed, but IIRC the guy did not have a single scholarship offer in baseball but managed a 5+ year career in the majors.  He probably played Juco or in a manufacturers league and got noticed.

Matt Manning was dealing tonight, 5IP 1R 2BB 10Ks!   He's been lights out his last few starts, I wonder where he will be assigned to start at next season?  I'm sure it will be Lakeland but if he keeps this up he will be in Erie in no time. 

On 9/8/2017 at 9:01 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Matt Manning was dealing tonight, 5IP 1R 2BB 10Ks!   He's been lights out his last few starts, I wonder where he will be assigned to start at next season?  I'm sure it will be Lakeland but if he keeps this up he will be in Erie in no time. 

I was right behind HP and he was real smooth.  He started at about 91-92 and steadily dialed up to 95-96 by the 4th inning.  Great control and lots of down on the FB esp at 91-93 MPH.  He occasionally dialed it down to 93-94 in the 4th and 5th innings.  His off-speed stuff was not getting hit either.  He had a nice curveball.  Didn't see a slider in there.

Got lots of swings and misses on both the curveball and the faster fastball.

On 9/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, RandyMarsh said:

He did not get much time in West Michigan, maybe 30 innings? I was thinking he'd probably start back there, and if all goes well, move to Lakeland after a month or two.

2 hours ago, irvink said:

He did not get much time in West Michigan, maybe 30 innings? I was thinking he'd probably start back there, and if all goes well, move to Lakeland after a month or two.

They probably would prefer him not pitching in the cold in West Michigan in April.  Wouldn't be shocked if he breaks with Lakeland.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

They probably would prefer him not pitching in the cold in West Michigan in April.  Wouldn't be shocked if he breaks with Lakeland.

Yeah, he seems ready to make the move up.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Also meant to say, that could be a factor. He looked great in his last few starts. I'd love to see him start in Lakeland.

Manning will almost assuredly start in West Michigan. He finished on fire but he started very slow, and Al has stated numerous times he does not to rush anyone.

He will also be on an innings limit--if they are worried about weather they will start him in extended spring training again.

He hopefully won't be in WMi for long tho.

5 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Manning will almost assuredly start in West Michigan. He finished on fire but he started very slow, and Al has stated numerous times he does not to rush anyone.

He will also be on an innings limit--if they are worried about weather they will start him in extended spring training again.

I keep meaning to look at possible innings limits on some of the higher regarded pitching prospects but have not yet done so.  Just something simple like adding 25 IP to the last finished season, give or take.  I know not one size fits all, but I just wanted to eyeball it, see what to expect in 2020.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I keep meaning to look at possible innings limits on some of the higher regarded pitching prospects but have not yet done so.  Just something simple like adding 25 IP to the last finished season, give or take.  I know not one size fits all, but I just wanted to eyeball it, see what to expect in 2020.

His Connecticut/WM innings don't add up to much, but he was he was doing some kind of pitching in extended spring training. I wonder how that gets factored in, how they decide what the limit is for him next year.

2 hours ago, irvink said:

His Connecticut/WM innings don't add up to much, but he was he was doing some kind of pitching in extended spring training. I wonder how that gets factored in, how they decide what the limit is for him next year.

Yes, I know there are other factors going into it, and the public at large isn't always privy to those considerations. 

13 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Is there any harm to starting him at Lakeland rather than just doing the extended spring training thing? Sure, he'd be a young for the league but the talent is there and he may as well take his lumps while we get a better read on how his stuff plays in game situations against some slightly-more advanced competition rather than inferring it from intrasquad extended spring practices.  I'd like to see him throw between 100 and 125 actual competitive innings. If that means low pitch count limits, that's fine. 

40 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Is there any harm to starting him at Lakeland rather than just doing the extended spring training thing? Sure, he'd be a young for the league but the talent is there and he may as well take his lumps while we get a better read on how his stuff plays in game situations against some slightly-more advanced competition rather than inferring it from intrasquad extended spring practices.  I'd like to see him throw between 100 and 125 actual competitive innings. If that means low pitch count limits, that's fine. 

i'm not sure if there is harm to rushing or not. i don't see much to be gained by it either.

standard protocol is basically WMI for half a season, give or take, then finishing off in Lakeland. I just looked up Burrows, and he started right away in WMI, so I doubt they have much concern about cold.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 4:21 AM, Tenacious D said:

Then again, there is probably benefit to him learning to pitch in the cold. God knows he's gonna have to do that in Detroit. 

8 hours ago, Walewander said:

Is there any harm to starting him at Lakeland rather than just doing the extended spring training thing? 

Yes. Loss of confidence, developing habits in order to get Lakeland hitters out, more stress on an arm not really build up trying to get better hitters out, etc. etc. 

I don't know why people are eager to mess with his timeline so much. Just let him go to a lower level. Do it, even then he will still be in Erie for a start or two by the end of next season. 

13 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Then again, there is probably benefit to him learning to pitch in the cold. God knows he's gonna have to do that in Detroit. 

I think it's more about arm health.