IdahoBert

My apartment burned down today

The only reason I wasn't there was because I had to take my son to an orthodontist appointment. I got a call on the phone it was my property manager saying "I have bad news for you."  Everyone else lost virtually everything. One guy broke both his legs jumping out of a second-story window and he fell in the burning debris. I just have some smoke damage and not even any water damage I lucked out. Mine was the only one out of eight apartments that was not a total loss.  Guess I'll be moving. 

IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

Oh geez,....  Glad to hear that you and your son are safe.  Everything else is replaceable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If you need a place to crash...................I know the commute to Idaho from Dearborn might not be optimal................

I'll second that, although I'm not sure there's a direct connection...

That's really scary to potentially lose everything like that. How on earth did it start?

• Like 1

I've got a spare room in the Twin cities.  That's a little bit closer. :)

• Like 1

Glad to see you two are safe.  As I recall, you're not a youngster anymore.  Moving is a bit more difficult than it once was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

I'll second that, although I'm not sure there's a direct connection...

That's really scary to potentially lose everything like that. How on earth did it start?

Not sure yet. But today, there were two hook and ladder firetrucks and three or four other fire department vehicles there as they were apparently trying to discern the cause. 

3 hours ago, apabruce said:

Glad to see you two are safe.  As I recall, you're not a youngster anymore.  Moving is a bit more difficult than it once was.

Two years ago, when I moved into this place, I was in much better shape than I am now. And even with help for some of the heavy stuff, it took me three weeks to move everything else in. I was working full-time then, which I am not now. 

Here's some photos of the place today. Black-and-white lends a very stark malevolence to it. The photo I took yesterday of the weary firefighters resting for a couple moments on the curb evokes so much more in black-and-white than in color.  Keep in mind that they fought this fire in an atmosphere already very unhealthy due to forest fire smoke that is covering the entire Northwest. 

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Is Babs ok? 

She was waiting for Bert to come home, but she fell asleep.  

618a23f126b2cf9eb5b9f966de7dc3d7.jpg

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I blame Ausmus.

He waited too long before he called the fire department.  

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Walt said:

I've got a spare room in the Twin cities.  That's a little bit closer. :)

And if you want to go 3 hours north of the cities to Detroit Lakes, I got a spare room too.  Don't gotta worry about that city traffic.  

And if you want to go 3 hours north of the cities to Detroit Lakes, I got a spare room too.  Don't gotta worry about that city traffic.  

Bert would enjoy the metro area. And my cat that has claimed the spare room.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk