Motor City Sonics

Your NFL Predictions for 2017 please

The Freep's Carlos Monarrez is already calling for Jim Caldwell to be fired. I think Caldwell comes back with a playoff appearance, but does not if he misses. Something to watch during the season.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to call for Carlos Monarrez to be fired. He is the kind of self-absorbed, smarmy, trolling type of journalist who sees himself at the center of every story. He gets his panties in a bunch when Caldwell won't give him a great quote about being afraid for his job status, and abuses his journalistic platform to threaten a man's livelihood. He could learn more about the game and write articles that enhance the knowledge of his readers, but instead he wants the easy story, even if it means calling for another man's head. The most charitable way of describing him is petty.

And whether or not Carlos Monarrez can believe that Caldwell does not worry about his job status, it seems pretty straightforward that NFL coaches get to the top of their profession precisely because they are better at blocking out distractions than the average person. 

• Like 1

538 has the Lions up to 8.7 wins on the season with the win against the Cardinals.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

A win against the Giants gets their projection north of 9 wins and helps push the NYG down, a team they may be competing for a play-off spot should 9+ wins become a reality.

• Like 1

Late to the party, i had them 7-9 prior to the start of the season for the following reasons.

Questions on Dline and Oline.  Decker injury and how good are Glasgow and Swanson.

Lbackers are better but young, think Davis will get in trouble in coverage strong against run early in the season.  Much better late.

Running game will struggle.

Thought they would lose to AZ.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:16 PM, FRM710 said:

Late to the party, i had them 7-9 prior to the start of the season for the following reasons.

Questions on Dline and Oline.  Decker injury and how good are Glasgow and Swanson.

Lbackers are better but young, think Davis will get in trouble in coverage strong against run early in the season.  Much better late.

Running game will struggle.

Thought they would lose to AZ.

I thought they'd beat the Cardinals because they usually play them well at home -   on the road, the Cards could be 0-12 and the Lions 12-0 and they wouldn't beat them.  

I picked them to go 9-7 and miss the playoffs.   I think a lot of teams in the NFC will be between 7-9 and 9-7 with probably only 2 or 3 having 10 wins or more.   I thought Seattle's defense could make them dominant, but I don't know now (after week 1 - overreaction).  Yeah, the Pack looked good, but if Rodgers gets hurt, they are one of those middle of the road teams.   The Wild Card is coming down to a few tiebreakers this year.   Beating the Giants would do wonders to help the Lions in that regard.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If GB lost Rodgers they would be a 5-11 or 6-10 team.  QB play means that much.

For them it does.    For other teams it depends on the type of team they are and who the backup is.   Cowboys didn't suffer last year when Romo went out and I don't even think that Prescott is all that great.     For the Packers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Seahawks it's everything.