Motor City Sonics

Your NFL Predictions for 2017 please

33 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Ziggy as of yesterday still wasn't in pads according to WJR's inside lions podcast.

if he puts on pads he might aggravate his injury!

but dont worry, he'll be fine for sunday.

Ziggy as of yesterday still wasn't in pads according to WJR's inside lions podcast.

Has a team ever finished the season without a sack?

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Has a team ever finished the season without a sack?

Baltimore in 1982 only had 11. Which is the same year the NFL began keeping the statistic. 

I think there is a real chance pre-merger a team might not have had a sack. Teams back in the day were really run heavy. 

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

if he puts on pads he might aggravate his injury!

but dont worry, he'll be fine for sunday.

My favorite was a couple weeks ago some asked about Martin's injury and Grandpa Caldwell responded, "he's alive". 

Redfern has looked damn good though. He should have won some previous camp battles as he outplayed competition in camp but was cut in favor of veterans. I think Redfern can be league average. That said Martin is a game changer, he has the ability to change the field position battle. Lions are going to miss him, but at least have good fall back option.

They said Ansah has a knee injury now.  Other than Stafford, he's the most important player on the team.

My favorite was a couple weeks ago some asked about Martin's injury and Grandpa Caldwell responded, "he's alive". 
Redfern has looked damn good though. He should have won some previous camp battles as he outplayed competition in camp but was cut in favor of veterans. I think Redfern can be league average. That said Martin is a game changer, he has the ability to change the field position battle. Lions are going to miss him, but at least have good fall back option.

Yeah, I forgot that Martin is out at least six weeks. So in addition to being worse on the OL and DL, we are also worse on special teams. The first half of the season will be brutal.

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, I forgot that Martin is out at least six weeks. So in addition to being worse on the OL and DL, we are also worse on special teams. The first half of the season will be brutal.

Redfern was excellent punting in the preseason.  That won't be a problem.  I would almost be willing to take him over Martin, because it would save money under the cap.

Redfern was excellent punting in the preseason.  That won't be a problem.  I would almost be willing to take him over Martin, because it would save money under the cap.

I have to admit, I didn’t watch much preseason coverage, and certainly not punting. But few in the league have been better than Sam Martin at directional kicking, placement, and working with coverage teams. Martin and strong special teams play had a role in keeping the Lions in a lot of close games last year. This is just another key unit where we are worse going into the season than we were last year, and with a much harder early season schedule.

The only place the team is clearly better is at the RB position. Abdullah and Riddick will need to make huge contributions.

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

What are their respective 40 times?

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Redfern will be fine but Martin is excellent.

Lions were 25th in total punts last year,  had the 3rd best average, 3rd best net, and 5th least return yard average against them. That is worth 3.325 cap hit Martin has. Martin also did the kickoffs which he was good at as well.

With re-worked Stafford deal lions have over 8 million in space this year and 52 + next year.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

The only place the team is clearly better is at the RB position. Abdullah and Riddick will need to make huge contributions.

They pretty much have the same guys except Green has been added. Not to be a Debbie Downer but Abdullah and Riddick are both coming off serious injuries. I think the Lion's will be better running the ball but mostly due to being so terrible at it last season and hopefully an improved O-line. Hopefully Abdullah can stay healthy, which is what I think you were trying to say.

They pretty much have the same guys except Green has been added. Not to be a Debbie Downer but Abdullah and Riddick are both coming off serious injuries. I think the Lion's will be better running the ball but mostly due to being so terrible at it last season and hopefully an improved O-line. Hopefully Abdullah can stay healthy, which is what I think you were trying to say.

Yes that’s exactly right. Abdullah and to a lesser degree Riddick are the only significant differences to start this year versus last year. Davis will take time to develop. Tabor will too, and may wash out. Golladay will get some reps, but won’t be any more than the 5th or 6th receiving option. The only chance of the team surviving the first half of their schedule is if Abdullah can move the ball on the ground. But I just don’t see it.

PS: Andy Benoit from SI has the Lions finishing 5-11, last in the NFC North.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/09/detroit-lions-training-camp-season-preview-matthew-stafford-ameer-abdullah-ziggy-ansah

On 9/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, mickeyb105 said:

Even with improvements at LB and WR, you really think breaking .500 is a stretch?  They really needed to add a workhorse RB this year but didn't.  They have nice APB and 3rd down RB, but I don't see a feature back.

Feature backs aren't necessary these days. We have a nice 4some similar to what the Pats run out every year. We need at least 25 games out of Abdullah/Riddick combined this year though to be successful. Zenner out performed many of the power guys we could have signed in FA which I think not enough people realize.

4 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Feature backs aren't necessary these days. We have a nice 4some similar to what the Pats run out every year. We need at least 25 games out of Abdullah/Riddick combined this year though to be successful. Zenner out performed many of the power guys we could have signed in FA which I think not enough people realize.

The Pats get away with that kind of RB rotation because the offense around those guys is stronger.  Abdullah has a ton to prove this year, and Riddick isn't going to cut it if he's the bellcow if/when Abdullah goes down.

Tough year for me to predict. The Decker and Ansah health situations are huge. After QB those are your two most important spots and those are 2 of our 5 or so best players. Schedule is tough and the Hyder injury also stings of course.

I think the offense looks good. We are very deep with weapons and I think we should be finding a comfort level within the offense. Stafford, Tate, Ebron, Abdullah, Riddick are in year 3 in the offense, Jones is in year 2 now and we added depth at the spot we were thinnest last year(TE). Glasgow and Greg Robinson have to be good(wouldn't be shocked if Robinson gets the nod at LG post Decker return)

The defense is scary. I like the LBs more. They can at least tackle now and won't get gashed like we got gashed at the end of the year on the ground. Secondary played well last year, maybe is a little deeper. The DL is of course everyone's worry. If we don't get double digit sacks from Ansah, its going to be horrible.

I'm going to say we make a DL add, Ansah does ok and squeeze out 9-7 on some more STafford magic

12 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

The Pats get away with that kind of RB rotation because the offense around those guys is stronger.  Abdullah has a ton to prove this year, and Riddick isn't going to cut it if he's the bellcow if/when Abdullah goes down.

The Pats were 3rd in carries last year and threw 20% of their passes almost to their RBs. The RBs make that system go

and of course Riddick is no bell cow but him, Zenner and Washington has no reason to be awful.

51 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

The Pats were 3rd in carries last year and threw 20% of their passes almost to their RBs. The RBs make that system go

and of course Riddick is no bell cow but him, Zenner and Washington has no reason to be awful.

Those guys are not RB you can rely on. Riddick is great at being a receiving back but is awful between the tackles. The Lion's need to use him more efficiently this season.

23 hours ago, Jason_R said:

The offensive line is improved as well.  Wagner and Lang are big upgrades and cutting deadweight like Tomlinson, Lucas etc. is addition by subtraction although the Decker loss will hurt in the short term.  The offense "should" be improved as long as they stay relatively healthy.  On the other hand, the defense looks to be a mess.  I think I'll just tune out of the game when the defense is on the field to avoid any anxiety.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Having a QB that is the one of the most feared weapons in NFL history, and who also makes the best reads in the biz, really helps. 

Give Detroit a plowhorse like Bell or Blount and it would really help soften defenses.  If the OL is going to be down two starters for a substantial amount of time then it may not matter if it is Bell, Barry or Buddha toting the rock.

The offensive line is improved as well.  Wagner and Lang are big upgrades and cutting deadweight like Tomlinson, Lucas etc. is addition by subtraction although the Decker loss will hurt in the short term.  The offense "should" be improved as long as they stay relatively healthy.  On the other hand, the defense looks to be a mess.  I think I'll just tune out of the game when the defense is on the field to avoid any anxiety.

Decker is out for the hard half of the schedule. If Greg Robinson plays like he did with the Rams, the Lions could be 0-8 by the time Decker is cleared to play.

If, somehow, the Lions can start the season 4-4, then they can probably pick up wins in the second half of the season against Cleveland, Chicago (2x), and Minnesota at home on Thanksgiving, to put them at eight wins; then win one of three on the road at Baltimore, TB, or Cincinnati, to put them at nine; then have a crack at GB at home to get them to ten and likely into the playoffs. But that’s an awful lot to ask.