RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Perhaps. Those were both borderline calls, I think. I was thinking more about guys that hit free agency but re-signed with the Tigers. I don't remember if Sanchez was eligible to be offered a QO. 

Was that rule about spending an entire season with a club in order to be compensatory pick eligible in place that season?

Just now, Casimir said:

Was that rule about spending an entire season with a club in order to be compensatory pick eligible in place that season?

It was. Sanchez was not eligible. 

Trying to remember. Who did we sign that cost us our draft pick?

valverde

prince

victor

re-signing victor cost a sandwich pick

zimmermann cost a 2th

upton cost a 3th

Nathan?

So st least valverde, Nathan, Zimmermann, and re-signing Victor cost us some decent draft picks for very little in return. 

Cant really complain about prince and Victor 1.0, or upton. 

Speaking of lost draft picks, I went back and looked at the 2011 Draft, which many consider to be the better than any draft since then.   That draft the Tigers had zero picks in the top 60, the Rays had nine.  It's crazy how good TB was at taking advantage of the old compensation system.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He's a statistician.  Use median, he'll respond better.

Medians are overrated.  

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Medians: Overrated or Underrated?

They are more or less average. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thefunk said:

Why aren't we tanking as hard as humanly possible? 

Whoa, easy now.  I've been tanking as best as possible lately.

• Like 1

Let's just get all the way there and get the #1 pick. The Central isn't full of behemoths. Just have to be good enough.

tank this year and next, playoffs by 2019

Productive night.  Tigers lose, White Sox and Reds win.  More solidly entrenched in 4th, and creeping up closer on 3th.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Productive night.  Tigers lose, White Sox and Reds win.  More solidly entrenched in 4th, and creeping up closer on 3th.

Capture.PNG

We are actually only 3 wins better than both the Giants and White Sox now - We have the tie-breaker with the Giants, and have a 4 game series with the White Sox.  2nd is witin reach :-)

20 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

We are actually only 3 wins better than both the Giants and White Sox now - We have the tie-breaker with the Giants, and have a 4 game series with the White Sox.  2nd is witin reach :-)

doesn't matter.  draft order is irrelevant.  or, so I've been told.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

San Diego's been pretty bad for a while now.  When do all of those higher draft picks turn the tide there?

The odds are long for any drafted player to be a star.  Draft position matters slightly, but the benefit is not nearly as large as something like the NFL.

For example, Alex Avila's career WAR is greater than the average career WAR of the #1 pick overall.

Strawmen are fun, though.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Strawmen are fun.

The better ones always get drafted higher.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The odds are long for any drafted player to be a star.  Draft position matters slightly, but the benefit is not nearly as large as something like the NFL.

Alex Avila's career WAR is greater than the career WAR of the average #1 pick overall.

yep.  development time doesn't really exist in the NFL or NBA.  It's critical in MLB, which is why it takes at least a couple of years, typically, even for college players to be ready for the Show.

Really hope the Tigers don't screw this up.  Let's pray that there are more Carlos Correa/Kris Bryant-types available vs. Matt Anderson's.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

yep.  development time doesn't really exist in the NFL or NBA.  It's critical in MLB, which is why it takes at least a couple of years, typically, even for college players to be ready for the Show.

Really hope the Tigers don't screw this up.  Let's pray that there are more Carlos Correa/Kris Bryant-types available vs. Matt Anderson's.

Let's pray that the Tigers identify & acquire & develop more Correa/Bryants than Andersons.

45 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

When people (including myself) were saying not to tank it was because there was a chance, even if it was only 5-10%, if everything went right to have a possibility of competing this season or next.  Having even the slightest opportunity of competing significantly increases revenue as there is at least some general fan interest.  Once Upton said he was going to opt out, and Verlander was traded, the opportunity completely disappeared.  So from that point forward, lose all the games and get the higher draft spot which means more bonus $ and international $ to spend as well as the higher selection. 

8 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

in baseball, sometimes you pick the right player, develop him correctly, and he still sucks.

Or he hurts himself in the goddam World Baseball Classic.