Jump to content
RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Neifi Perez said:

Hi everyone. 

I don't think child molesters, even if they molested as children themselves, can become rehabilitated.  I guess I would need more information, and I don't want that information.  I think in today's sports world it would be impossible to take him.  Who is going to get a jersey of a convicted child molester? It adds way more distraction than any value he could bring. 

As far as the draft, you have to take the best player available regardless of position. I don't think you can have too much pitching, because trades and stuff.

You may be right, I just hate the thought that a kid is unredeemable after an offense at age 12 or 14 whatever it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

14 hours ago, kdog said:

The working theory I have read is that Mize is almost too advanced for the Tigers rebuilding process. He will either be wasting his prime in the high minors while the Tigers  try to drag out his arb clock. When he does get to the majors, more cheap years will wasted on terrible teams.

He's almost too mlb ready for the Tigers trajectory.

You ever see Billy Madison? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MDMAzing said:

Even though Avila and Chadd are two of the dumbest minds in baseball, there's no way they can screw this up.  Unless his UCL is on the verge of blowing up, Mize has got to be the pick.

haha, how the **** does Avila  get thrown in as one of the dumber minds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - my bad - I was agreeing with your basic premise that the idea a guy would be ready 'too soon' isn't what we should be worried about. And it was not so much a matter of FA, just that you will be (re-)signing some kind of more expensive contracts - in  fact IMO preferably your own guys, but maybe not (e.g Houston) before you get to the top.

Yeah I agree there will be fa, probably a Kenny Rogers type pitcher too. And the scenario I laid out is best case. We know at least one of them wont live up to it.

But hey if we can get three of the five to be really good around 2020, and fine one or two bats along the way, we can be right back as a competitive team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

haha, how the **** does Avila  get thrown in as one of the dumber minds?

Well, he has helped oversee a FO that has produced ONE solid home grown player(Nick) over the past DECADE.  If that isnt pathetic, I dont know what is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

You may be right, I just hate the thought that a kid is unredeemable after an offense at age 12 or 14 whatever it was.

He was 15, but I don't think that is old enough to say he can never be rehabilitated.  It was odd and horrible behavior even for a 15 year old, but I don't think it's the same as an adult doing it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anybody has to worry about that dude.  He won't play baseball, even though he's talented enough to pitch in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think anybody has to worry about that dude.  He won't play baseball, even though he's talented enough to pitch in the majors.

You're most likely right but I still think it's very unfair compared to chances given to others.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You're most likely right but I still think it's very unfair compared to chances given to others.   

He did it to a kid. That's the difference.

Can you imagine dropping him into a locker room where 20 guys have kids? It be very uncomfortable at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think anybody has to worry about that dude.  He won't play baseball, even though he's talented enough to pitch in the majors.

I bet someone drafts him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs released a mlb draft prospect board today. It ranks the draft prospects, assign future grades and says where they would rank on a top 100 prospect list (of minor leaguers). 

Mize - top ranked draft prospect - would come in at 33 on the overall list - they gave him a FV of 55 with medium risk.

Madrigal was second ranked draft prospect would come in at 35 on the overall list. They gave him a FV of 55 with low risk.

 

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kdog said:

The working theory I have read is that Mize is almost too advanced for the Tigers rebuilding process. He will either be wasting his prime in the high minors while the Tigers  try to drag out his arb clock. When he does get to the majors, more cheap years will wasted on terrible teams.

He's almost too mlb ready for the Tigers trajectory.

What kind of competition does Madrigal play against ? Doesn't Mize play in the best college baseball conference ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

He did it to a kid. That's the difference.

Can you imagine dropping him into a locker room where 20 guys have kids? It be very uncomfortable at best.

He was a kid when he did it though.  They have allowed adult rapists and wife beaters in locker rooms of guys who have wives.  I understand the problem.  It just doesn't seem fair.  

If he has talent, I think he will be drafted late and they will let things sort themselves out for better or for worse.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You take a college player at the top of the draft, the hope is he won't need more than a season and a half in the minors. Mize, Madrigal, Bart, Bohm, barring injury, all of those guys should be ready by midseason 2020. 

So the the timeline argument makes little sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that you can trade pitchers for hitters, but the positions you want won't necessarily be available.  It would be better if they had more of a balance of pitchers and position players.  Personally, I prefer any imbalance to lean towards more top position players.  However, I agree that they need to go with the best player available in terms of upside.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I get that you can trade pitchers for hitters, but the positions you want won't necessarily be available.  It would be better if they had more of a balance of pitchers and position players.  Personally, I prefer any imbalance to lean towards more top position players.  However, I agree that they need to go with the best player available in terms of upside.  

This has come up before, but I think it's easier to get value back for hitters. You can bring a hitter up and give him enough AB for potential trade partners to scout him against MLB pitching - it's much more difficult to audition an MiLB pitcher in  the majors unless you have  convenient injuries or after roster expansion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irvink said:

 

 

 

So Lynn is now on board for Mize. Then we can probably count on Madrigal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He was a kid when he did it though.  They have allowed adult rapists and wife beaters in locker rooms of guys who have wives.  I understand the problem.  It just doesn't seem fair.  

If he has talent, I think he will be drafted late and they will let things sort themselves out for better or for worse.  

Those rapists and wife beater didnt do it to a kid. That's my point. For whatever reason people have no forgiveness when kids are involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Those rapists and wife beater didnt do it to a kid. That's my point. For whatever reason people have no forgiveness when kids are involved.

Yes, I agree people put child molestation in a different category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Those rapists and wife beater didnt do it to a kid. That's my point. For whatever reason people have no forgiveness when kids are involved.

For good reason.    I wouldn't even consider the guy for any reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take Madrigal...he could play SS or give you a + defensive 2B with a good (albeit not as dingerish as a guy like 2017 Kinsler) stick for a decade or more within 12 months.  Take a flyer on a HS arm like Ginn in the 2nd.  We don't have a good 2b prospect in the pipeline right now...passing on Madrigal seems insane...ok maybe not insane, but not entirely sane...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I would take Madrigal...he could play SS or give you a + defensive 2B with a good (albeit not as dingerish as a guy like 2017 Kinsler) stick for a decade or more within 12 months.  Take a flyer on a HS arm like Ginn in the 2nd.  We don't have a good 2b prospect in the pipeline right now...passing on Madrigal seems insane...ok maybe not insane, but not entirely sane...

If madrigral never develops power hes a no. 2 hitter. Is that what you want with the top pick? A no. 2 hitter?

And I dont know why his size and lack of power are just ignored by so many. Those are both huge issues. For every Altuve there are 643 guys that are tiny that aren't very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If madrigral never develops power hes a no. 2 hitter. Is that what you want with the top pick? A no. 2 hitter?

And I dont know why his size and lack of power are just ignored by so many. Those are both huge issues. For every Altuve there are 643 guys that are tiny that aren't very good.

yeah - goes back to playing it safe at 1-1. Not the place to take a flier on the chance a guy is an outlier.

Then again, doesn't Trout bat #2!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Avila go on FSD last night and make a Mize/Verlander comparison?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...