Jump to content
RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Heres hoping its NOT Nick Madrigal.

You must not like good/great ballplayers then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

I’d rather take Madrigal.  Too much risk with Mize.  Let’s get a top of the lineup talent that our organization is sorely lacking, and should be able to contribute by 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Has the risk changed for Mize?

No.

And there is plenty of risk in taking madigral. It's silly to pretend like he is this vastly safer pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No.

And there is plenty of risk in taking madigral. It's silly to pretend like he is this vastly safer pick

Ive seen him play.  Definitely NOT 1-1 material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"We basically go out and put our eyes on the few guys that they (scouting directors) are closing in on," Avila said. "I've seen about 10, 12 players just so you have a good feel for yourself with your own eyes so when you go into that room and they start talking about these players, you have a better feeling about them."

 

Avila said area scouts make recommendations to cross checkers who do home visits and extensive background checks on draft targets. Regionally, they made recommendations before scouting directors last week.

"Not everyone does it the same, but that's how we do it," said Avila, noting a "preferential list" will now be created from regions from the west coast, central, the mid-central and the east.

"We'll bring it all together for one big national pref (preferred) list," he said of next week's meeting. "Then, a couple days before the draft we'll have it all done and we'll have it on the board."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet that is a pretty old school method of creating a draft board, which makes sense given avila’s background. 

I guess it depends on what they have in place to identify which players for their regional scouts to go and see. It’s not like the scouts are just bouncing from town to town and hoping to notice someone (although I’m sure there are plenty of cases where a player stood out that wasn’t the actual player the scout was there to see).

I am almost certain that the tigers board is going to end up with a couple guys in their “top 10” that they end up taking in the 2nd and 3rd round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We were shocked this guy rated #3 on our board fell to the 3rd round."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, kdog said:

"We were shocked this guy rated #3 on our board fell to the 3rd round."

Yep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Not everyone does it the same, but that's how we do it," said Avila

Well considering your draft track record over the past decade, there's a reason teams dont do it like you, Al...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather they draft Johnny, but Casey Mize has a good baseball name.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafting seems to have been better the past few years. Burrows and manning and Faedo are still well regarded. Stewart is close to mlb ready and looks like a future mlb regular with very good power. Reynaldo Rivera was terrible last year but is looking good this year. Bryan Garcia is well regarded but unfortunately was injured this spring. He was a sixth round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New BA draft podcast up, they discussed where the Tigers are/word that AA is taking the time to look at Joey Bart and others.

Quote

If you're the Tigers and you aren't going to go into your negotiation by saying, "You're the guy, Casey, our only guy, take all of our slot money,'  you have to create some negotiating leverage. How do you do that? You know casey, we could go in another direction. We could take Joey Bart, or so and so.' If you are going to play the negotiating game, this is the perfect time to lay down the groundwork. The reality is also that you need to do your due diligence, have backup plans. Always possible Mize gets hurt, or something pops up in MRI. You need a contigency plan. You can't go into draft locked in on one player and one player only. More than anything this just seems like covering your bases. No indication that it's anybody but Mize

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole negotiating thing is also a bit overblown nowadays. Let's say Mize decides he wants 11 million. We can say OK, take pick 2 next year in addition to our pick in the 5-12 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Drafting seems to have been better the past few years. Burrows and manning and Faedo are still well regarded. Stewart is close to mlb ready and looks like a future mlb regular with very good power. Reynaldo Rivera was terrible last year but is looking good this year. Bryan Garcia is well regarded but unfortunately was injured this spring. He was a sixth round pick. 

It seems better, but it was garbage for the better part of a decade which is partly why they are in the position they are in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Chaad and co. have been horrible at drafting, they have a poor philosophy when it comes to setting their board. They have had multiple hits in the first round, just no stars and little afterwards. 

And as far as Burrows, Manning, and Faedo, only Burrows is currently looking like a future rotation piece. And he looks like a 3-4 type. Manning has like 26 walks in 30 innings and Feado's fb is down significantly from last summer. Even Soto is having major problems with control. And Perez is on the dl and Funkhouser is looking like a reliever. 

Stewart breaking out is huge though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The whole negotiating thing is also a bit overblown nowadays. Let's say Mize decides he wants 11 million. We can say OK, take pick 2 next year in addition to our pick in the 5-12 range.

I don't think it's anything that crazy. But Mize's agent/advisor is reading/hearing the same stuff we are and more. He's asking for the full 8 mil slot. Tigers are probably coming back with something more like 7.5, which would break Hunter Greene's draft record haul of 7.23. 

I could be wrong of course, but I think it comes down to how much of that last half mil the Tigers can keep/spread around the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone is 'great' at drafting as the metrics have proven out. You need to have a development philosophy and be consistent with it. Some well thought out picks(good process) will be busts and you'll hit the lottery with others. You also have to know when to trade guys for established players and when to cut bait on guys who will never make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stanley68 said:

I don't think Chaad and co. have been horrible at drafting, they have a poor philosophy when it comes to setting their board. They have had multiple hits in the first round, just no stars and little afterwards. 

And as far as Burrows, Manning, and Faedo, only Burrows is currently looking like a future rotation piece. And he looks like a 3-4 type. Manning has like 26 walks in 30 innings and Feado's fb is down significantly from last summer. Even Soto is having major problems with control. And Perez is on the dl and Funkhouser is looking like a reliever. 

Stewart breaking out is huge though.

Manning is definitely a work in progress, but it's also way too early to write him off. He went six innings today, 3H, only 1 BB and 9ks.

Faedo's decreased velo is a concern, but hopefully that comes back - and without TJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, irvink said:

Manning is definitely a work in progress, but it's also way too early to write him off. He went six innings today, 3H, only 1 BB and 9ks.

Faedo's decreased velo is a concern, but hopefully that comes back - and without TJ.

Manning's last three starts have been pretty good: 17 IP, 25 K, 5 BB, 12 H, 3 ER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...