RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

I can understand that the “playoffs in 2075” are a joke, but only barely. It’s gonna be a long dark winter followed by a long, dark summer, followed by another long, dark winter.

hold me.

3 hours ago, thefunk said:

I can understand that the “playoffs in 2075” are a joke, but only barely. It’s gonna be a long dark winter followed by a long, dark summer, followed by another long, dark winter.

hold me.

For someone born in 2000 .. the playoffs of 2075 may be less than full-retirement age away.

Sadly ..a woman may win a Cy Young award before the Tigers win a World Series again.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

For someone born in 2000 .. the playoffs of 2075 may be less than full-retirement age away.

Sadly ..a woman may win a Cy Young award before the Tigers win a World Series again.

Why would that be sad?

3 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Seriously LG?  That would mean no Detroit Tiger World Championship in anybody's foreseeable future.

You never know.  Things can happen fast.

3 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Seriously LG?  That would mean no Detroit Tiger World Championship in anybody's foreseeable future.

No, it would mean that we would have an incredible story of not only the first woman MLB player, but for that woman to be one of the best pitchers in baseball. And for that to happen before 2022? Amazing. 

I don’t understand why you think it’s so sad for a woman to have success in MLB. 

48 minutes ago, Shelton said:

No, it would mean that we would have an incredible story of not only the first woman MLB player, but for that woman to be one of the best pitchers in baseball. And for that to happen before 2022? Amazing. 

And there is nothing to say she isn't a Tiger.  She might be the prime reason they do win in 2022.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And there is nothing to say she isn't a Tiger.  She might be the prime reason they do win in 2022.

Gotta get to .500 first tho

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That probabilty was lowered when Deuce became a free agent.  

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t understand why you think it’s so sad for a woman to have success in MLB. 

Never said it would be sad for a woman to have success in MLB?  Clearly the 'sad' part would be that it might be a very very long time before the Detroit Tigers win a World Championship!  Unless they win in 2022 or something crazy like that. 

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Never said it would be sad for a woman to have success in MLB?  Clearly the 'sad' part would be that it might be a very very long time before the Detroit Tigers win a World Championship!  Unless they win in 2022 or something crazy like that. 

Once they start winning in 2020 then big success in 2022 will be old hat.

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

You continue to mock the idea of a woman in Major League Baseball. You should probably stop. Even if it is unlikely for a woman to get to that level, it still sends a bad message to young girls who love the game and like to play. It’s also unlikely that any one young boy will grow up to make the majors, but at least he gets to play without people ridiculing the idea that maybe he could make it. 

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Once they start winning in 2020 then big success in 2022 will be old hat.

Interesting?

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Can't make the playoffs unless you are over 0.500.

By the time they win, there will be so many teams in the playoffs that won't be true anymore.  

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That probabilty was lowered when Deuce became a free agent.  

The pitcher might be his daughter though, he could have sired her when he was 15.

In 2016 the Rays won 68 games, the A's 69, the Braves 69, the Brewers 73 and the Rockies 75 and none had particularly strong farm systems or play in large markets.    In 2018 all those teams won 90 or more games.  I know I have harped on it alot but those are just 5 examples of how quickly things change in baseball, so I refuse to accept when people say for certain that the Tigers aren't going to be good for another 5+ years.  It's just impossible to know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In 2016 the Rays won 68 games, the A's 69, the Braves 69, the Brewers 73 and the Rockies 75 and none had particularly strong farm systems or play in large markets.    In 2018 all those teams won 90 or more games.  I know I have harped on it alot but those are just 5 examples of how quickly things change in baseball, so I refuse to accept when people say for certain that the Tigers aren't going to be good for another 5+ years.  It's just impossible to know.

Preach on, brother!

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

A lot of bad teams have enough pieces within two years to potentially be good. In the Tigers case, each of Norris, Mize, Cameron and Paredes, Deatherage, Alcantara and Manning *could* all turn into major leaguers, Cabrera could stay healthy, Nick could plays a  better RF, Candelario's wrist could hold up. If all those thing happens, then the tigers would go from 64 to 90 wins as well. None of those things individually would be particularly surprising, but enough of them happening  for the Tigers to be good would be.

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

A lot of bad teams have enough pieces within two years to potentially be good. In the Tigers case, each of Norris, Mize, Cameron and Paredes, Deatherage, Alcantara and Manning *could* all turn into major leaguers, Cabrera could stay healthy, Nick could plays a  better RF, Candelario's wrist could hold up. If all those thing happens, then the tigers would go from 64 to 90 wins as well. None of those things individually would be particularly surprising, but enough of them happening to for the Tigers to be good would be.

I think alot depends on how ownership plays it.  Are they going to be willing to spend some money to fill in some pieces?   The good news is that positions that the Tigers could use alot of help in come the cheapest.   Not counting Miggy they had nearly -5 from their DH, 1B and LF.   

Miggy's return is obviously going to impact that as will Stewart but another bat that can play those positions aren't that hard to come by or that expensive.  I could easily see them turning that -5 into +6 or 7 in the coming years.   That could potentially be 12+ wins right there.

Plus of course there is McCann and the catcher position.  That as well posted negative WAR last year, again it wouldn't take much to improve that by a couple wins.     

Ultimately though it is going to depend on the pitching, if Fulmer bounces back and a couple of the pitchers down on the farm pan out I think they can compete by 2020(by that I mean low 80s) and hopefully seriously contend by 2021.    

I tend to be skeptical about re-builds in general because more things can go wrong than right when you are depending on prospects, especially when most of your good ones are pitchers. However, I agree that things can change fast in baseball.  So, I am hopeful even if I am not particularly optimistic.