RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

I don't think they are anywhere near the point where we have to worry about what position guys are going to play.  I am just hoping they can develop enough talent.  If they do, then the positions will fall in place.   

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think they are anywhere near the point where we have to worry about what position guys are going to play.  I am just hoping they can develop enough talent.  If they do, then the positions will fall in place.   

True.  If they can gather enough talent, and have a surplus in one area with a deficit in another, they can move surplus depth for need.  Prospects will have trade value for other prospects.  Or they can go the free agent route to fill holes if they area ready to win.

But the focus now is just acquiring talent.

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

True.  If they can gather enough talent, and have a surplus in one area with a deficit in another, they can move surplus depth for need.  Prospects will have trade value for other prospects.  Or they can go the free agent route to fill holes if they area ready to win.

But the focus now is just acquiring talent.

The theory is if a kid can hit, they'll find a position for him. Athletic players can move around the diamond until they fit in at a position. I think Lou Whitaker was a 3rd baseman when we drafted him? Look how that turned out.

Speaking of timeline, there's no guarantees any player will develop as expected. And in today's MLB, you need several to develop into All-Star talent at about the same time. Nick will probably be gone long before we contend. Maybe Candy, Boyd and Fulmer will also be gone. Heck, it may be another 15 to 20 years before we see the playoffs. Worst case scenario. 

Next year will be 35 years since 1984's World Championship.  If it takes 15 to 20 years before another World Championship for the Tigers ..then those old enough to remember & appreciate 1984 (9-years old+) will be in their mid-60's ..and those old enough to vote in 1984 will be in their 70's.

GO TIGERS!!!

I doubt the Tigers will even sniff being competitive until 2075 at least.  We need to turn over the front office, ownership and the roster at least 4-5 times to get away from the present stench.  Most of the current fans will die before the Tigers win again, this will cleanse the fanbase while preparing it to root for the forthcoming winner.  I predict that drafting Alan Trammell's great-great grandson in the 2070 draft will be the key moment in the turn around.

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I doubt the Tigers will even sniff being competitive until 2075 at least.  We need to turn over the front office, ownership and the roster at least 4-5 times to get away from the present stench.  Most of the current fans will die before the Tigers win again, this will cleanse the fanbase while preparing it to root for the forthcoming winner.  I predict that drafting Alan Trammell's great-great grandson in the 2070 draft will be the key moment in the turn around.

Optimism becomes you!

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I look forward to the dominant Tigers in my advanced age.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

What do you suggest is advanced?

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

my age.

There we go.  Biggs is booking a busy Tiger offseason.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There we go.  Biggs is booking a busy Tiger offseason.

Bryce Harper and Machado to Detroit confirmed. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Word has it that Machado does not care to hustle to first base!  If he keeps up that attitude, someone might bet odds that VMart could beat him in a race to the bag.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'd be fine with the Tigers signing either because they still have prime years ahead of themselves.

Well, OK, I've soured a bit on Machado because of his playoffs shenanigans, but that won't have much impact on his ability to cash in.

17 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Word has it that Machado does not care to hustle to first base!  

It's OK.  McCann will be gone.  

From Longenhagen's most recent chat. A reason to dream...

D: How much faith should Tigers fans have in the current front office’s ability to turn it around? Would you grade the rebuild a success so far?

2:56
Eric A Longenhagen: I think they have a strong collection of minor league talent and it’s just about them actualizing it via good player dev.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-chat-10-18-18/

Well, when you factor in sabermathtics and shifts and bullpenning and whatnot, and shortstops are going to be extinct soon.

3 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Hey aren't we on the 2019 Draft Watch already...?

Forget it. We’re rolling. 

4 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Hey aren't we on the 2019 Draft Watch already...?

I heard they were going to draft a hard throwing pitcher from a southern university.  That's all I know so far.  

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I heard they were going to draft a hard throwing pitcher from a southern university.  That's all I know so far.  

Awesome! Thanks for the tip...!!!

A closer with a bit of a wildness streak... amiright?