RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

I agree .. arbitrary in general.

I like fangraphs too.

Conversation on this here MTS site has perked my interest in Tiger prospects.  Never much followed Tiger prospects since mid-to-late 1970's.  IIRC correctly ..Trammell and Whitaker were heavily promoted during radio broadcasts by Ernie H (or was it Al K on TV?).

I don't recall either of them so it may have been both or the sportswriters at the time but there was a general "buzz" or chatter about the group on that Montgomery team.   I think the old timers knew there was a special bunch brewing down there.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

I disagree with this. Just because ranking prospects is subjective and difficult to do with a high degree of certainty doesn’t make it arbitrary. I think that most of the “respected” prospect tankers put a lot of thought into deciding which prospects are more valuable than others. 

My comment regarding the arbitrary nature of the rankings was limited to the idea that a ranking should be cut off at 50 or 100 or 10. If a team has 13 guys that are graded at 45 FV or higher, then just say so. If there are 137 guys in all of baseball that are graded at 45 FV or higher, so be it. If you want to cut it off at 50, then list 72 guys. Whatever. 

I have no issue with drawing a line somewhere. There needs to be an objective place to draw the line, though. Not just some round number. 

Arbitrary was probably not the right word.  They are very subjective and fluid.  It's nice to see lists from knowlegable prospect analysts, but sometimes fans make too much of the ordering.   

On 9/18/2018 at 6:46 PM, tiger337 said:

Arbitrary was probably not the right word.  They are very subjective and fluid.  It's nice to see lists from knowlegable prospect analysts, but sometimes fans make too much of the ordering.   

It’s definitely subjective and fluid. But there is some method to madness and it’s worth giving those ratings weight. Keep in mind I’m talking more about ratings and not just the numbered ranking. 

I like how the lists tend to include FV numbers for the prospects these days. In the past the best we got was some ranked list, and you couldn’t really tell how different number 50 was from number 100. 

For the most part, the good mlb players were highly rated, especially when they reached the upper levels of the minors. There are of course lots of prospects that were highly rated and didn’t pan out, and star players that weren’t highly rated. I’m not talking about where a guy was drafted, but after they have had some time in the minors to develop. 

To me, it’s good to see guys in AA and above getting good grades. They may still fail the final exam, of course. 

One of the things I like to see from the fangraphs tigers ratings is that 12 of their top 16 prospects have an eta of 2020 or earlier. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

It’s definitely subjective and fluid. But there is some method to madness and it’s worth giving those ratings weight. Keep in mind I’m talking more about ratings and not just the numbered ranking. 

I like how the lists tend to include FV numbers for the prospects these days. In the past the best we got was some ranked list, and you couldn’t really tell how different number 50 was from number 100. 

For the most part, the good mlb players were highly rated, especially when they reached the upper levels of the minors. There are of course lots of prospects that were highly rated and didn’t pan out, and star players that weren’t highly rated. I’m not talking about where a guy was drafted, but after they have had some time in the minors to develop. 

To me, it’s good to see guys in AA and above getting good grades. They may still fail the final exam, of course. 

In a throwback to halcyon days, I am going to say "good post".  I don't obsess about whether the number 33 guy should have been ranked ahead of the number 43 guy.  I just like to know who they are, and how many of them the Tigers have, and the FV thing makes it more intriguing. 

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

One of the things I like to see from the fangraphs tigers ratings is that 12 of their top 16 prospects have an eta of 2020 or earlier. 

I'm really surprised they Manning's ETA at 2022.  Unless he has a major setback/injury I can't picture him being any later than say mid 2020.  

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm really surprised they Manning's ETA at 2022.  Unless he has a major setback/injury I can't picture him being any later than say mid 2020.  

I'm at 2021 for him.  At least 11 days into that year, so he can be the fifth starter.

5 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

I was surprised that Kingston Liniak was rated as high as he was on some of these lists.  Lot of projection there.

C'mon. Kingston Liniak? That's a team name.

17 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

C'mon. Kingston Liniak? That's a team name.

I thought he'd be from Jamaica, but he's from So Cal!

On 9/17/2018 at 5:10 PM, irvink said:

They had Clemens ranked 31 out of the 33 prospects they ranked w/in the org. They have him a future value of 35+, so clearly not believers.

Parker Meadows was 18.

In a recent chat McDaniel said he views Clemens as a platoon bat, for what that is worth. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, SeattleMike said:

In a recent chat McDaniel said he views Clemens as a platoon bat, for what that is worth. 

Seattle Mike is back!

On 9/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, SeattleMike said:

That’s stoopid 

Been a Tigers fan since 1970.  There was a lot of discussion about Tram, Lou and Parrish when they were in AA....there was some buzz about Lou when he was a 3B in Lakeland.  Tram had like 20 triples in AA in 77 (IIRC) and that earned him the nickname "Triple Trammell".

Kemp was drafted in 76 and was an even earlier  part of the futures discussion 

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Tram had like 20 triples in AA in 77 (IIRC) and that earned him the nickname "Triple Trammell". 

Actually, Alan received that nickname for his prowess with the many fine Lakeland ladies.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Actually, Alan received that nickname for his prowess with the many fine Lakeland ladies.

He and Deuce has a fine spring down there.  Let’s just say... family affair 

23 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Been a Tigers fan since 1970.  There was a lot of discussion about Tram, Lou and Parrish when they were in AA....there was some buzz about Lou when he was a 3B in Lakeland.  Tram had like 20 triples in AA in 77 (IIRC) and that earned him the nickname "Triple Trammell".

Kemp was drafted in 76 and was an even earlier  part of the futures discussion 

I remember "Triple Trammell".  I also remember there being a decent amount of hype about Whitaker and Trammell.  It was nothing compared to the hype you get about prospects today, but considering the era, there was some buzz.   

12 hours ago, Oblong said:

He and Deuce has a fine spring down there.  Let’s just say... family affair 

I assume you are talking about Deuce Sr.  He was quite the ladies man himself in his day.  That was before his life was ravaged by alcohol and gambling addiction.  

16 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Emily Waldon's end of the season top 20 for the Athletic has Faedo in at 14...

That's right about where FG had him too. 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:02 PM, Lei Pong said:

Emily Waldon's end of the season top 20 for the Athletic has Faedo in at 14...

Thanks Emily.

On Kiley McDaniels latest chat he was asked if there was any minor leaguer that reminded him of Baez and Paredes was one of the two he named.  He said he doesn't have the bat speed of Baez but he has the ability to play all around the diamond and has similar athletic ability and hitting ability. 

• Like 1